Negative test before enter Thailand, then why daily positives in ASQ?

Nismooo

15 minutes ago, Puccini said:

I am asking because this topic is specifically about positive tests in ASQ.

There are plenty in ASQ, the daily reports testify to that (at least used to, recent reports seem to concentrate on the in-country cases). If you trawl through the old ones you will see the figures broken down by nationality. If you want to hear from the horses mouth as it where, just browse through an ASQ FB group such as https://www.facebook.com/groups/298606387906884 where people report they have been tested positive and shipped off to hospital.

Edited by Salerno
Typo

1 hour ago, Puccini said:

I am annoyed that you can find mention of positive tests in ASQ in the WHO situation reports and I cannot. What am I doing wrong?

The incident I'm referring to was re Swampy airport, mentioned in the media in Australia. 

On 2/7/2021 at 5:34 AM, Nismooo said:

I never understood why so many people tests positive in ASQ here in Thai when a negative test is required to enter?

-Could it be that the tests dont really work properly but if thats the case, why would the ”negative” test after ASQ be anymore reliable than the ”negative” test that was required before boarding the plane?

-Or that people could be infected but in the very early stage so the tests dont yet recognize the virus? (Under the minimum amount of virus to be detected in a test)

-Or maybe people get infected on the planes/airports?

-Or maybe even in quarantine?

-Or people use fake negative test certificates?

Im not saying it must be one of these reasons, its was just what i came up with in my head. Would be interesting to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Explained a million times before, the virus takes a few days to build in your body to the point where it tests positive. Can be negative today and positive tomorrow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Explained a million times before, the virus takes a few days to build in your body to the point where it tests positive. Can be negative today and positive tomorrow.

True enough, but the percentage of people testing positive in ASQ is drastically higher than outside. 

4 hours ago, Puccini said:

The Thai nationals on these repatriation flights organised by Thai embassies and generally operated by Thai Airways are not tested for Covid-19 before the flight. I believe that, with few exceptions, these Thai passengers all choose to go into the free SQ (state quarantine), not ASQ (alternate state quarantine). When reports or news articles mention positive tests in quarantine, do they correctly list separate numbers for each type of quarantine? I am asking because this topic is specifically about positive tests in ASQ.

If I remember rightly they do not segregate the numbers, however one can deduce from the nationality whether they were in SQ or ASQ. I you said the great majority of Thais opt for SQ. We know several of our Thai friends who returned from Egypt and were all cash strapped. SQ was their only choice. But at least they're home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rott said:

True enough, but the percentage of people testing positive in ASQ is drastically higher than outside. 

Yes and interesting, and needs quick and thorough investigation.

Here in Australia there's now serious checking/investigation about the possibility of the virus escaping into corridors when doors are open to retrieve meals etc. , highlighted by the numbers of hotel etc., quarantine workers testing positive.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rott said:

Higher than outside where? In Thailand? Then that's almost certainly true and is the whole reason for having SQ & ASQ in the first place.

Higher than in the countries people are traveling from? Difficult to say - you'd have to have the total figures of the people arriving every day and I'm not sure those figures are available.