Open bank account, apply O visa (for retirement) in Bangkok vs. Phuket

I am halfway through ASQ trying to figure out how best to move forward with my goal of getting an O visa for retirement using the 800k deposit method, and subsequently a 1-year extension. 

I want to escape the pollution in Bangkok. But I need a U.S. Embassy reference letter/affidavit to open a Bangkok Bank savings account, as well as a Thailand address that is not a hotel. To apply for an O visa in Bangkok, I also need to show receipts/prepay three months of rent (new requirement of Bangkok Immigration).

Thus to get the Embassy affidavit and open bank account, it seems I would need to rent a serviced apartment in Bangkok for at least one month to have a proper Thailand address with a lease. Further, to apply for the O visa in Bangkok, I would need to pay rent through the third month. And further, I would need to apply for the 1-year extension at the same IO (Bangkok).

Is it possible to do all this in Phuket instead of Bangkok? Or am I better off getting the O visa here in Bangkok first, then taking a holiday to Phuket? Bangkok is compact and walkable, has the Embassy and bank headquarters, which makes things easy, but the air quality right now is a big downside.

Timeline:

-ASQ ends Sunday February 14

-Visa exempt entry expires Monday March 15

-Serviced apartment, Embassy affidavit, open bank account

-Apply for O by Thursday February 25 (Friday 26 is a Buddha day)

-So nine business days to get it done (February 15-19 and 22-25)

-Or else extend visa exempt for 30 more days (more time stuck in Bangkok…ugh)

I am open to using an agent if I can see the value, but from what I have read, this is an easy do-it-yourself visa. If I cannot get a timely appointment at the Embassy, I may need a lawyer to draft a bank reference letter.

What would you do in my situation? Thank you. 

13 minutes ago, SEAsia Traveler said:

Would Bangkok immigration issue a certificate of residence, if I decided to stay here? What documents are required? Thank you Joe.

In order to obtain a COR in Bangkok you would need to done a 90 day report.

• Thanks 1

Is there a particular reason you want a Bangkok Bank account?

UJ - as always - did provide you with fully correct information.

There is no need - on the contrary, it would complicate things - to apply at CW if you do not intend to stay long-term in the Bangkok area.

If you intend to stay long-term in Phuket (or any other province for that matter), it is recommended to open the personal bank-account at a bank branch in the province where you will be residing (and relatively close to where you are going to stay).

>> I did PM you a Guideline document on how to stay long-term in Thailand when over +50 years of age. 

To access your PM-message just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Suphawk said:

Is this the same for Jomtien? If I'm on a new retirement visa, do I need to wait 90 days before I can get a residence certificate?

Someone that deals with Jomtien will give you definitive advice. I'm thinking that Bangkok is in the minority requesting a 90 report for your COR.

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

I figured that bank would be the most seamless for dealing with foreigners and transfer of funds. Would I run into problems if I opened the bank account in Bangkok and applied for the O visa in Phuket?

Phuket is an unknown quantity to me from a lifestyle perspective. I've been there a few times but not sure where to find the convenience and walkability that Bangkok offers. I might just need to endure this bad air period until I get the bank account sorted. ASQ is pinging me on LINE asking for an onward address so I guess it's Bangkok for now.

1 minute ago, SEAsia Traveler said:

I figured that bank would be the most seamless for dealing with foreigners and transfer of funds. Would I run into problems if I opened the bank account in Bangkok and applied for the O visa in Phuket?

Phuket is an unknown quantity to me from a lifestyle perspective. I've been there a few times but not sure where to find the convenience and walkability that Bangkok offers. I might just need to endure this bad air period until I get the bank account sorted. ASQ is pinging me on LINE asking for an onward address so I guess it's Bangkok for now.

For long-term stay in Thailand, Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn Bank would be your best options.

When opening the bank-account in a different province than where you eventually will be staying long-term will invoke charges when withdrawing money. 

As a bank account can be opened anywhere (you might get turned down a couple of times, but eventually you will succeed), so no need to stay in Bangkok for that sole reason.

The onward address can be booked using a booking-site, so if you have not yet made up your mind simply choose one that can be cancelled for free or only book it for 1-2 days so that you can switch if it turns out to be a bad choice.

• Thanks 2

I recommend as much as possible, you use a bank account in Province/city where you ultimately plan to stay. 

If that is Phuket, I recommend you could use Bangkok Bank, in Central Festival.  Bangkok Bank has 2 branches in Central Festival mall.  I have an account (has my 800 K in a fixed account) in that branch on the south side of the road, on the top floor.  The woman in that Bangkok Bank branch that I talked to in setting up the account was well aware of foreigner non-immigrant visa requirements for funds, so that made it easier.

I also have the advantage of a Thai driver's license, Yellow Book, and a Thai ID card, but NONE of that was asked for when I opened my 800K account.  Only my passport.  (although I already had a Bangkok Bank account from year 2016 which obviously made this extra account easier)

But you may thou need to go to Phuket immigration 1st, as soon as possible as exiting ASQ, prior to opening the Bank Account, to get a one page letter indicating your temporary presence in Phuket, which the bank may ask for in order to open the account.  I had to do that in year 2016 when I opened my first bank account in Phuket (I went to Bangkok Bank in Phuket town, which in hindsight was more difficult than going to the one in Central Festival - I didn't have Thai drivers licence/ID card/yellow book then (which frankly is not needed)).

Good luck in your efforts.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

When opening the bank-account in a different province than where you eventually will be staying long-term will invoke charges when withdrawing money. 

This was the case until a few years ago, but now most banks offer debit cards which don't involve such fees when doing a withdrawal.

If doing a cardless withdrawal (using their app), I think most banks don't charge such fees.

Krungsri bank usually requires just a long term rental contract and a passport, nothing from the embassy or immigration.

37 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This was the case until a few years ago, but now most banks offer debit cards which don't involve such fees when doing a withdrawal.

Banks still charge an 'out of Province' fee for ATM withdrawals, when not withdrawing within the same Province your account is held.

1 hour ago, oldcpu said:

But you may thou need to go to Phuket immigration 1st, as soon as possible as exiting ASQ, prior to opening the Bank Account, to get a one page letter indicating your temporary presence in Phuket, which the bank may ask for in order to open the account.  I had to do that in year 2016 when I opened my first bank account in Phuket (I went to Bangkok Bank in Phuket town, which in hindsight was more difficult than going to the one in Central Festival - I didn't have Thai drivers licence/ID card/yellow book then (which frankly is not needed)).

It used to be that banks would accept a signed copy of your landlord or wife's Tabien Baan as proof of your Thai address, as was the case when I opened an account with Bangkok bank years ago.

That has changed within the last couple of years and many branches now request at minimum either a letter from your Embassy, a certificate of residence from Immigration or a Yellow Tabien Baan.

Both Bangkok bank and Kasikorn HQ have advised me branches are now free to request whatever proof of address they see fit, which makes a mockery of the information they publish on their websites for foreigners opening an account. It's now the luck of the draw depending on the branch and the knowledge of the assistant you deal with - many topics on these very same issues.

I opened an account at Kasikorn 2 years ago with just my Yellow Tabien Baan and Thai ID card for foreigner without any issues. A friend who was with me who also wanted to open an account but didn't have a Tabien Baan was requested to obtain a certificate of residence beforehand from Immigration.

The motto now is 'if at first you don't succeed try, try, and try again'.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Banks still charge an 'out of Province' fee for ATM withdrawals, when not withdrawing within the same Province your account is held.

As I said, depends on which debit card you choose. Here are two options which me and my girlfriend use, definitely no "out of province fee":

Krungsri: https://www.krungsri.com/en/personal/card/krungsri-debit-card/all-atms

TMB: https://www.tmbbank.com/accounts/transactional/all-free.html

I picked a random debit card from SCB: https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/cards/debit-cards/lets-scb.html

No out of province fee mentioned, so I guess no out of province fee.

Edited by jackdd

9 minutes ago, jackdd said:

As I said, depends on which debit card you choose. Here are two options which me and my girlfriend use, definitely no "out of province fee":

Krungsri: https://www.krungsri.com/en/personal/card/krungsri-debit-card/all-atms

TMB: https://www.tmbbank.com/accounts/transactional/all-free.html

I picked a random debit card from SCB: https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/cards/debit-cards/lets-scb.html

No out of province fee mentioned, so I guess no out of province fee.

Strange then that Kringsri only state no ATM charges for inter regional (Province) branches.

Why not state nationwide ATM's if that's the case?

Cash withdrawal and/or Balance Inquiries
- Krungsri ATMs  
  •  Inter - regional branch
None
- Other ATMs that support visa chip technology and plus
  •  Inter - regional branch
None

Hey guys,

A wee bit off subject (sorry), but quick question.

Last June while in Bangkok I converted my Non B (work visa) due to loss of employment to a 1 year RETIREMENT EXTENSION expires June 21, 2021.

1. Excuse me if it is a dumb question,  but can I get another 1 year extension or must I apply for a new Non Imm O visa?

2. I now reside in a different province. Do I have to apply in the same province of the last extension, or where I reside now?

Thank you in advance! ????

Cheers!

44 minutes ago, PumpkinEater said:

1. Excuse me if it is a dumb question,  but can I get another 1 year extension or must I apply for a new Non Imm O visa?

You will apply for and get a another one year extension of stay based upon retirement.

45 minutes ago, PumpkinEater said:

2. I now reside in a different province. Do I have to apply in the same province of the last extension, or where I reside now?

You can apply for another extension where you're living at now. You will have to change your address to your new place of residence.

Here's my 2 cents living in Phuket for 5+ years.  

I opened my original account in BKK, and then moved to Phuket.  My 800,000 is in the BKK account.  If you bank with Bangkok Bank, live in Phuket and your bank account is in BKK then you are going to have problems because you will have to go to Bangkok for things like a new ATM card.  (yes I just got a letter saying I have to go to Bangkok to get my new ATM card expiring)  The bank has a north and south division.  go figure.

Long story short...I've just opened a new 800,000 baht account in phuket and the day I get my new extension I will transfer the money from BKK to new Phuket account via internet banking.  This way I will show a full 12 months with the money in the bank at the same branch.

BTW, you can't get internet banking until you get your 1 year extension.

If you use Bangkok Bank I would definitely go to the branch in either (as suggested before ) Central Festival or Central Floresta (top floor across the bridge).  The manager at Floresta knows about visa requirements, etc.   She has to be reminded a bit, but if you are putting money in her branch she will go to bat for you.    Don't go to a small branch!  

There are no atm fees.  Just an annual fee of something like 100-200 baht.

And Actually Phuket is quite lively on the East side.  Nothing going on on the West side except empty beaches with clear water.  

Additional:  When I opened my accounts in 2015 I didn't have to show anything except my passport and a tourist visa.  They were reluctant in Phuket Town but I had already opened my account in BKK (with only 500 baht) and then wired quite a large amount of money into the BKK before I moved permanently.  So having money in the bank was helpful.  I had to go back a couple of times and wouldn't back down.  I also had a letter from Social Security.  If you are pulling US Social Security Bangkok Bank is the only bank they have an agreement with.  So they sort of Have to open a direct deposit account.  Once you got that you can open another account.

I guess the rules have changed quite a bit since then, but if you "shop" around you can (if I may quote Mick Jagger) "get what you need."

Edited by LivingNThailand
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

Long story short...I've just opened a new 800,000 baht account in phuket and the day I get my new extension I will transfer the money from BKK to new Phuket account via internet banking.  This way I will show a full 12 months with the money in the bank at the same branch.

Another good reason to transfer your account to a local branch if you move Province as I mentioned above.

25 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

BTW, you can't get internet banking until you get your 1 year extension.

I got internet banking when I opened my account after entering on a Non O, but times change.

27 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

There are no atm fees.  Just an annual fee of something like 100-200 baht.

Not in Province, there are out of Province for ATM withdrawals.

On 2/7/2021 at 9:33 AM, Peter Denis said:

UJ - as always - did provide you with fully correct information.

There is no need - on the contrary, it would complicate things - to apply at CW if you do not intend to stay long-term in the Bangkok area.

If you intend to stay long-term in Phuket (or any other province for that matter), it is recommended to open the personal bank-account at a bank branch in the province where you will be residing (and relatively close to where you are going to stay).

>> I did PM you a Guideline document on how to stay long-term in Thailand when over +50 years of age. 

To access your PM-message just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

Dear Peter, please also send me the Guideline Document

On 2/7/2021 at 2:20 AM, SEAsia Traveler said:

I am halfway through ASQ trying to figure out how best to move forward with my goal of getting an O visa for retirement using the 800k deposit method, and subsequently a 1-year extension. 

I want to escape the pollution in Bangkok. But I need a U.S. Embassy reference letter/affidavit to open a Bangkok Bank savings account, as well as a Thailand address that is not a hotel. To apply for an O visa in Bangkok, I also need to show receipts/prepay three months of rent (new requirement of Bangkok Immigration).

Thus to get the Embassy affidavit and open bank account, it seems I would need to rent a serviced apartment in Bangkok for at least one month to have a proper Thailand address with a lease. Further, to apply for the O visa in Bangkok, I would need to pay rent through the third month. And further, I would need to apply for the 1-year extension at the same IO (Bangkok).

Is it possible to do all this in Phuket instead of Bangkok? Or am I better off getting the O visa here in Bangkok first, then taking a holiday to Phuket? Bangkok is compact and walkable, has the Embassy and bank headquarters, which makes things easy, but the air quality right now is a big downside.

Timeline:

-ASQ ends Sunday February 14

-Visa exempt entry expires Monday March 15

-Serviced apartment, Embassy affidavit, open bank account

-Apply for O by Thursday February 25 (Friday 26 is a Buddha day)

-So nine business days to get it done (February 15-19 and 22-25)

-Or else extend visa exempt for 30 more days (more time stuck in Bangkok…ugh)

I am open to using an agent if I can see the value, but from what I have read, this is an easy do-it-yourself visa. If I cannot get a timely appointment at the Embassy, I may need a lawyer to draft a bank reference letter.

What would you do in my situation? Thank you. 

You may face a problem to rent a proper apartment for one month. The usually demand 6 months contract.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/7/2021 at 7:43 AM, ubonjoe said:

Your best option may be to apply for a 60 day covid 19 extension in Phuket.

I am in Phuket now and want to utilize the covid 19 extension available through 30 March (extending 60 days through the end of May). My visa exempt expires on 15 March and I can extend that for 30 days. But I've read about 'under consideration' periods of up to two weeks for covid 19 extensions. Should I apply for the 30 day extension, then immediately apply for the covid 19 extension?

Best to go to Phuket immigration and ask for guidance? Does it matter that I am a U.S. citizen and can return home and not really stuck here?

11 minutes ago, SEAsia Traveler said:

I am in Phuket now and want to utilize the covid 19 extension available through 30 March (extending 60 days through the end of May). My visa exempt expires on 15 March and I can extend that for 30 days. But I've read about 'under consideration' periods of up to two weeks for covid 19 extensions. Should I apply for the 30 day extension, then immediately apply for the covid 19 extension?

Best to go to Phuket immigration and ask for guidance? Does it matter that I am a U.S. citizen and can return home and not really stuck here?

Normally I would advise you to apply for the 60-day covid-19 extension first, such that you keep the 30-day extension based on your VisaExempt entry 'up your sleeve' in case of need.

However, there are 2 issues here:

1 - the current covid-19 extension would only cover you till 30 March (which is only 3 weeks from now);

2 - your local Phuket Imm Office might want you to first use up that 30-day extension of stay you are entitled to, before being willing to handle your 60-day covid-19 extension.

= = = = =

It does not matter for your 60-day covid-extension that you are able to return home and not really stuck there.

Are you considering at a later stage to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa and subsequent 1-year extension?

• Thanks 1