Everyone in Thailand should be vaccinated soon, not just Thais.

JohnHans

I had an email from Bumrungrad today asking if I would be interested in a vaccine when it's available.

I told them Yes, but I would like to choose which vaccine and also get a certificate to prove I have had it.

I doubt they'd be asking these questions if they weren't going to offer it privately fairly soon. If they do, I'm in like Flynn.

• Like 2

Thaipauly,

That was the first mistake: Foreigners!

....or did you mean residents?  Or businessmen and business women? Why would you even begin to assume, or in this case presume the Thai government or any other government owes you or any one else who is not a bonefide Citizen? 

Don't become complacent and dissappear into mediocracy. Or did you want to target race, creed and religion too?  

How about people who pay or don't pay their taxes?

You're part of the problem, start being part of the solution and show us all what work or volunteer to work, in order to be worthy for a vaccination you should suggest. we do.

Stand up and be counted! Not groveling for free vaccinations you believe non citizens to be entitled too!

3 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Not correct, 30 baht is for people who don't work and are not in the social security system (pakan sakom) if you worked for a Thai company and used to pay your 750 baht a month than you can stay in their social security system for 400 something a month after retirement. (if you did not take the 300.000 baht or so that you paid during 30 years. If you can not that means that your company did not follow the rules.

Yes I am getting my payout, which is ok, not many people know about the Social benefit payback, all you need to do is take your id and bank book to the social security office and you get all the money back that you payed in but from when the scheme started on their computer system so I am only getting about 12 years back.

On 2/7/2021 at 9:55 AM, Naughtius Maximus said:

last time I looked at published test results it was a smidgen over 50% effective.

The two different numbers come from two different countries. All the vaccines' effectiveness values differ legitimately across borders for a variety of reasons. 

For me though, I refuse the Chinese vaccine out of hand. I trust the CCP and its captive SMEs as far as I can throw the entire country. 

The fact that global supplies of many drugs and precursor chemicals are of Chinese origin is very disturbing. Search for global source of aspirin, anticoagulants, and many IV drugs to understand the dilemma. The world has trusted China far too much far too long. 

Not my quote, but germane. 

"To stop the virus anywhere we must stop it everywhere." 

Common sense really. 

Anything less and we'll be chasing variants around the world for decades, each one potentially worse than its progenitor. 

1 hour ago, Bradmeister said:

Thaipauly,

That was the first mistake: Foreigners!

....or did you mean residents?  Or businessmen and business women? Why would you even begin to assume, or in this case presume the Thai government or any other government owes you or any one else who is not a bonefide Citizen? 

Don't become complacent and dissappear into mediocracy. Or did you want to target race, creed and religion too?  

How about people who pay or don't pay their taxes?

You're part of the problem, start being part of the solution and show us all what work or volunteer to work, in order to be worthy for a vaccination you should suggest. we do.

Stand up and be counted! Not groveling for free vaccinations you believe non citizens to be entitled too!

I paid Thai tax from my Thai salary and paid into the Thai Social fund for 30 years, apart from the lump sum payout I don't get any support from the Thai government and you don't think I should either!!!!!

It will be available on lazada by the time the average Thai is offered it at this rate. Seems to be an announcement a day, yesterday they were starting trials on their own vaccine and before that Siam Bioscience were going to start producing it in a few weeks, today it's soon 

Seems like the Thai elites/political leaders have no concrete plans when foreigners (excluding migrant workers) can get vaccinated ...unlike Malaysia which is giving it free to migrant labor. So foreigners have to wait for private hospitals to import....and no word when they it will be approved.

I think we should write to our respective embassies and ask them to talk to the Thai govt (behind closed doors, no media)......OR AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE??

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I had an email from Bumrungrad today asking if I would be interested in a vaccine when it's available.

I told them Yes, but I would like to choose which vaccine and also get a certificate to prove I have had it.

I doubt they'd be asking these questions if they weren't going to offer it privately fairly soon. If they do, I'm in like Flynn.

This is what they told me but then sent a survey asking if i'd be interested when they do start

Greetings from Bumrungrad International Hospital.

Please be informed that at this time, COVID-19 vaccines have not yet been approved by the Thai FDA (Food and Drug Administration of Thailand). Due to this reason, we cannot accept any orders for the vaccines or advertise the vaccines.

However, we are cooperating with the Thai government authorities and The Private Hospital Association Thailand regarding the supply of COVID-19 vaccines.

3 hours ago, JohnHans said:

Yes I am getting my payout, which is ok, not many people know about the Social benefit payback, all you need to do is take your id and bank book to the social security office and you get all the money back that you payed in but from when the scheme started on their computer system so I am only getting about 12 years back.

You choose for the payout so that means that you opted to get out of the social security system. You have the choice, take your money and leave the system or pay 400+ a month and continue to  stay in the social security system. A couple months ago somebody mentioned it, luckily because I believed that I would receive the money and could stay in the system but unfortunately that is not possible.

• Sad 1

On 2/12/2021 at 7:28 PM, Orton Rd said:

You probably wont be able to travel for a few years then

Since I am unable to sell my house here, that's not a problem for me.  And if I take the Chinese vaccine that Thailand is determined to use, I'd probably be dead in a year or two and my travel problems will have disappeared.

• Haha 1

On 2/7/2021 at 4:44 PM, Moonlover said:

It has been mentioned in many articles that they would only need to vaccinate 70% of the population in order to achieve 'herd immunity'. Wikipedia estimate the expat community of the country to be just under 4%, so even if we are left out, which personally I doubt, vaccinating the Thai population only should be sufficient to rid the country of the virus.

Besides, why should they have a hard time getting rid of the virus? They've already managed it once.

The idea of herd immunity is sound, but it will depend on how well incursions are controlled - unvaccinated migrants may continue to cross the border and continually reintroduce the virus. Same for international tourists. I would think they will need proof of vaccination before they set foot in this country. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DavisH said:

The idea of herd immunity is sound, but it will depend on how well incursions are controlled - unvaccinated migrants may continue to cross the border and continually reintroduce the virus. Same for international tourists. I would think they will need proof of vaccination before they set foot in this country. 

Oh yes, border control is imperative. I would they've been quite alarmed at the situation in Myanmar.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 5:51 AM, JohnHans said:

the Chinese vaccine is only 79% effective - lower than that of Pfizer and Moderna, so I would not be happy getting that one.

Just be aware that the "79% effective" figure means protection against infection. As long as it mitigates the effects of the virus to asymptomatic or mild, it has still done its job for the vaccinated person, and probably reduced their ability to spread it.

At this point, *any* vaccine is a good vaccine as long as it has been through a comprehensive testing regimen and the data analyzed and peer reviewed (which is the sticking point for certain vaccines due to their governments unwillingness to publish!).

• Thanks 1