How to Change License Plates from a Vehicle Purchased in Bangkok to Another Province

Banana7

Go to the local DLT office in which province the car will kept.

You don't have to change plates but if you do it takes about 2-3 weeks.

Forget cost but not expensive and you have to give them the number plates on the vehicle when you collect the new ones.

You will be made to register the vehicle in your province at the same time as you change the name in the registration book. DLT will ask you to come back and collect the new plates in a few days. Can't remember the cost but around 1,000bt.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stubuzz said:

You will be made to register the vehicle in your province at the same time as you change the name in the registration book. DLT will ask you to come back and collect the new plates in a few days. Can't remember the cost but around 1,000bt.

So are you saying I can't register a vehicle purchased in Bangkok that has Bangkok plates, in my name if I live in another province?

The vehicle can only be registered in the province in which I am resident?

Is the process, drop off the blue book in my province DLT office, then return 2 or 3 days later, and pay the fee? I guess there has to be some proof that I am the new owner?

Is part of the DLT process to verify that the sales tax has been paid?

Edited by Banana7

I live in Nonthaburi and the vehicle was registered in Nonthaburi.  I sold it to a guy who lived in Pattaya. We just went to Nonthaburi LTO and changed the ownership in the Blue Book.

He didn't have to change the plates to Pattaya ones if he didn't want to. It is now several years since you had to tax a vehicle in the Province where it was registered ie you can now tax it in any province.

Edited by PFMills
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You don't have to change plates but if you sell the vehicle later on then the new owner with you will have to go to the Bangkok office where the vehicle is registered to change into their name. No big deal but obviously if you both live in say Pattaya a bit more of a pain. Then again you could just use an agent.

Seems like it is done differently in every transport office....

Bought a used car from annother province and wanted to register it in my name in Chiang Rai. I had to get new number plates and the vehicle had to undergo inspection.

Number plates and registration were fairly cheap, I don't remember the price. They wanted the purchase contract, blue car book, my passport and the usual letter from Immigration. Signed Copies of all the above, too ofc...

Had to come back a week or so later to do the inspection ( laughable compared to European countries) give back the old plates and receive the new ones.

It was a very smooth process, the transport office in CR is well organized.

Edited by Schnitzelfritz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2021 at 8:23 AM, PFMills said:

I live in Nonthaburi and the vehicle was registered in Nonthaburi.  I sold it to a guy who lived in Pattaya. We just went to Nonthaburi LTO and changed the ownership in the Blue Book.

He didn't have to change the plates to Pattaya ones if he didn't want to. It is now several years since you had to tax a vehicle in the Province where it was registered ie you can now tax it in any province.

Did the Pattaya guy need to give DLT a certificate of residence from immigration?

5 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Did the Pattaya guy need to give DLT a certificate of residence from immigration?

I can’t confirm BUT every time that I have bought a car I have had to show my Yellow Book and provide a copy of it to the LTO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I changed my plates on a vehicle a few years ago in Ratchaburi they handed me the new plates right there.  You have to give them the old plates.  Don't remember the cost but it wasn't expensive.

You can keep the Kruengtep plates if you want too.  Both of my current vehicles have them because my wife requested not to get certain numbers on the plates, like 0 for instance. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2021 at 9:05 AM, Kenchamp said:

You don't have to change plates but if you sell the vehicle later on then the new owner with you will have to go to the Bangkok office where the vehicle is registered to change into their name. No big deal but obviously if you both live in say Pattaya a bit more of a pain. Then again you could just use an agent.

You can transfer ownership only in the province the vehicle is registered, but the address where the previous/ new owner residence in has no effect on the car registration. So if you buy a car in BKK and you live in Pattaya, you can but don't have to change plates. When you sell the car later to another Pattaya resident you can either go to BKK to make the transfer OR you can change plates to Chonburi and then sell and transfer ownership. 

Local officials prefer vehicles to be locally registered as the yearly tax stays in the province of registration, but there is no law nor enforcement for changing plates. 

I bought a Forza from a guy in Chiang Rai. Friday afternoon.

Rode it to my home in Chiang Mai, went to the DLT monday morning with paperwork.

Bike was inspected, green book left there.

Brought old plate in 2 weeks later, swapped for new plate and got green book back.

Old owner never left Chiang Rai

Blue book works the same.

Edited by canthai55