Thailand Reluctant to Join Covax Program on Strict Conditions

webfact

Thailand Reluctant to Join Covax Program on Strict Conditions

By Suttinee Yuvejwattana

BL.jpg

video screenshot

The Thai government won’t procure Covid-19 vaccines through the World Health Organization-backed Covax program for now because the conditions are too strict. The move may put the country at risk of getting delayed vaccines at higher prices.

Under the program, Thailand would be charged extra for booking and it would have limitations on the producers and delivery period. Covax also requires a minimum purchase of 10% of a country’s population for a fast order with conditions and costs, Nakorn Premsri, director of Thailand’s National Vaccine Institute, said in a statement late Saturday.

“Acquiring the vaccines directly from the producers will be more flexible because we can decide how much we will buy and also negotiate pricing, which may lead to a cheaper price for large orders,” Nakorn said. Still, negotiations are continuing. With acceptable conditions, Thailand might procure the vaccine through the Covax program in the future.

Full story: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-07/thailand-reluctant-to-join-covax-program-on-strict-conditions

Bloomberg.jpg
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Petey11 said:

I was to believe the AstraZ was sold at cost price, no profit, so you cant get it much cheaper than that. 

I think I read that Europe was prohibiting the export of vaccine at the current time. Confused me though since England is no longer in European union. Maybe produced in Germany?

1 hour ago, brianp0803 said:

The cost of the vaccine may go down as production ramps up. But then you might have to wait 3 to 6 months to get a reduced price.

Maybe Thailand is waiting for discount sale.

Nah the more people that die the less vaccine they will have to buy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

I think I read that Europe was prohibiting the export of vaccine at the current time. Confused me though since England is no longer in European union. Maybe produced in Germany?

Any vax produced by a EU country needs beuracratic approval before it is exported to a non EU member

2 hours ago, brianp0803 said:

Does anyone know what the restrictions are that Thailand is complaining about to be able to get the vaccine through WHO?

Maybe there are conditions like they must give the vaccine to the most vulnerable first and not to politicians. Or maybe they must distribute a vaccine for free and not charge foreigners extra money.

I think the  Thailand government is still hoping for countries to give them the technology and build factories in Thailand for the benefit of the government. Economics before public health. 

..i think you will find 'aliens' are not mentioned, it will be the old phrase..Up to Them.