Thailand Reluctant to Join Covax Program on Strict Conditions

webfact

2 hours ago, Phaser said:

Ok so why not allow private hospitals to source and distribute - more wasted time by the Thai govt

I believe they have already done this which helps those that own the private hospitals to maximise their profits by selling it at inflated prices to those who they've scared witless with the help of the media.It's a really smart business move for those who will benefit the most from this pandemic. 

59 minutes ago, internationalism said:

just more of junta xenophobia, jingoistic nationalism and leaving scope for corruption, whenever possible. 

Both deals, with astrazeneca and sinovac, are marred with shadow circumstances.

so price of Astrazenca in the EU is $2.18 and thailand is paying $200mln for 26mln so $7.78 per dose.

on top of it the government is sponsoring Siam Bioscience production line to the tune of 600mln (20mln). Possibly more money will be coming to rescue their inability to make vaccines - they never made a vial in their 12 year of existence.

for sinovac, with 52% efficacy, they are paying 650b per shot, which is price for Pfizer, which has much higher efficacy.

so now they are paying through the nose for an emergency supplies, because they ignored issue earlier on.

They might simply have realized that Bioscience could not successfully produce a quality vaccine and with the ownership structure,  failure is not an option.

There is no refund even if the agreement was terminated due to unsuccessful development of the vaccine, he said. 

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30402334?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=internal_referral

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Elkski said:

It's not hard to imagine Thailand is to proud to get help from Covax.   They were so focused on tourists coming they missed the ball on what travelers are going to be looking at in a destination and vax % will be very important in 8 months. 

They don’t qualify for free vaccine. They are considered a middle income country and would still need to pay. From the sounds of it, I wouldn’t accept the conditions either.

7 minutes ago, hioctane said:

They don’t qualify for free vaccine. They are considered a middle income country and would still need to pay. From the sounds of it, I wouldn’t accept the conditions either.

Why would you not accept the conditions, have you read them in full or just got the excuses from Thai Officials?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Thailand still on track to be one of the last developed countries to be vaccinated. Bravo 

Do you really think it is a coincidence that apart from India and Brazil, the top of the leader board in vaccinations are all in the high level of GDP per capita.

One day this forum may come to realise that Thailand does not have the same spending power as their home state. Whinging is no solution, either go home or wait it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, hioctane said:

The answer to your question can be found in your very own statement.

They don't deserve the vaccine for free because they are a middle income country.

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Source what? only approved medical supplies can be imported.

Hospitals were trying to obtain vaccines from outside the country themselves, and one hospital was trying to obtain the funds by pre-selling the vaccination before they were shut down.  Then the Government gave them the green light, but lets say, that's not happening yet.  So there is your answer Sandy, in a nutshell.

Private hospitals can import Covid vaccine: Thai FDA (nationthailand.com)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dialemco said:

Thailand should concentrate manufacturing vaccines as it appears owing constant mutations it will be necessary for an annual booster 

The manufacture facility in Thailand must be upgraded and expanded. It takes as much time to certify a new built facility as it does to build it.  Thailand cannot just change over to make this vaccine because its  vaccine manufacturing is already taking care of essential needs.

3 hours ago, elgenon said:

I think I read that Europe was prohibiting the export of vaccine at the current time. Confused me though since England is no longer in European union. Maybe produced in Germany?

South Korea is manufacturing the Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccine. Already announced in news Canada will buy from South Korea. India manufactures 60% of world vaccines and will manufacture the Oxford version for the world.  EU cannot block.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brianp0803 said:

I would guess that the world health organization would distribute the limited supply of vaccine to the countries that need it the most.
With the Thailand government reporting incredibly low number of people being infected, they might be on the bottom of the list to receive the limited supply of vaccine available to the world.Reporting very low number of infected people may backfire in being put on a priority list to receive unlimited supply of vaccine

You may be right however lets hope Thailand is rewarded for it's good record with covid having saved so many lives.

4 hours ago, brianp0803 said:

I would guess that the world health organization would distribute the limited supply of vaccine to the countries that need it the most.
With the Thailand government reporting incredibly low number of people being infected, they might be on the bottom of the list to receive the limited supply of vaccine available to the world.Reporting very low number of infected people may backfire in being put on a priority list to receive unlimited supply of vaccine

New Zealand is rolling out it's vaccination program in April. If the Thai Gov are having issues, they are, as usual, of it's own making, and, as usual, the entire country will suffer because of them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, sandyf said:
4 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Thailand still on track to be one of the last developed countries to be vaccinated. Bravo 

44 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Do you really think it is a coincidence that apart from India and Brazil, the top of the leader board in vaccinations are all in the high level of GDP per capita.

One day this forum may come to realise that Thailand does not have the same spending power as their home state. Whinging is no solution, either go home or wait it out.

It is also worth pointing out that Thailand has been ranked number 4 in the world for its performance in controlling Covid in the first place, making mass vaccination less of a priority.

And when one considers out of the top 10 countries, 6 of them are island nations, with no border issues to concern them, I think that's a pretty remarkable achievement.

The world leaders in controlling the COVID-19

• Like 1