Thailand Reluctant to Join Covax Program on Strict Conditions

webfact

5 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

It won't be as easy as that and putting a value on the price of health protection and whether they can swinge it down abit is quite deplorable ..

Thai junta as usual ' hedging their bets ' with the health of the nations poor.

You can bet your life all those in government get their jabs!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

I haven't read the whole thing but did notice this within the link you provided:

"To be effective, COVID-19 vaccination plans must include migrants"

If a condition of supply includes this, I understand why Thailand may be shuffling their feet and reluctant to sign up!

You nailed it on the head, as they truly only want to help their folks out and not the others who are here like most countries are doing.

It is worth reading an article in a newspaper out of Bangkok published on Saturday entitled " Government goes cool on Vaccine Pact ".

I think it better explains the reasons Thailand has rejected the Covax Scheme.

And as with all things in Thailand, at the real heart of the matter is Money.

But by placing all the eggs in one basket its a very risky game to play, specially if Siam Bioscience cannot produce , or has initial startup issues

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Under the program, Thailand would be charged extra for booking and it would have limitations on the producers and delivery period.

In other words, they would need to buy the more effective vaccines from Moderna, Pfizer, and Sputnik than the Chinese junk.

4 hours ago, Phaser said:

Thailand needs to change direction as it’s looking like the govt may have bet on the wrong horse....http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/astrazeneca-oxford-vaccine-south-african-variant/2021/02/07/e82127f8-6948-11eb-a66e-e27046e9e898_story.html

Now, Thailand has put all its money on two vaccines. The Chinese vaccine is probably next to useless in any case. And now the AZ is useless against the South African variant. All because they didn't want Pfizer or Moderna to get in the way of deals with China.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, elgenon said:

I think I read that Europe was prohibiting the export of vaccine at the current time. Confused me though since England is no longer in European union. Maybe produced in Germany?

Think produced in Italy,one place and a couple of others, two places in UK I think, but as AZ has said UK production will go to UK orders first before starting export. Thailand needs to get their AZ licence sorted pdq I think.

7 hours ago, elgenon said:

I think I read that Europe was prohibiting the export of vaccine at the current time. Confused me though since England is no longer in European union. Maybe produced in Germany?

Some of Oxford AstraZeneca is produced in Belgium. I think Pfizer is produced in the EU. All of UK, not just England is no longer part of the EU, (much to the annoyance of the SNP).

3 hours ago, Antonymous said:

I haven't read the whole thing but did notice this within the link you provided:

"To be effective, COVID-19 vaccination plans must include migrants"

If a condition of supply includes this, I understand why Thailand may be shuffling their feet and reluctant to sign up!

Migrants (even illegal) are being vaccinated in UK. The point of the vaccination is that the majority of the population get it, so just giving it to Thais and no foreigners whether legally or illegally resident, is self-defeating.

Unless there's a proper vax programme in Thailand, it can kiss goodbye to its hallowed tourist industry, much of which may never recover.

Excellent, I wouldn’t have expected that, Thailand smarter than all others !

At least one country keeping its independence, its decision making by those in charge for that - the government.

We have seen so many supranational organizations falter, the best example is the EU.

Acting this way, they will keep their flexibility to decide about quantities, suppliers, timing and type of vaccine.

Relying on the WHO, their supply would be dependent on political muggling.

And with ~80 Covid-fatalities only, they would be the last ones getting access to the vaccines (... if they really want it, considering the benefit-risk ratio).

By the way, also interesting:

that’s the first time, I am hearing, countries have to pay a surcharge on the vaccine price to the WHO ... A really benevolent approach by the WHO, especially for poor underdeveloped countries, eg. in Africa...????

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Petey11 said:

I was to believe the AstraZ was sold at cost price, no profit, so you cant get it much cheaper than that. 

Astrazeneca are reconsidering there manufacturing relationship with Prayut. Won't be manufactured there. There against dictators jailing innocent people unfortunately. They will be vaccinated when new city is built on the moon 

Edited by tomauasia

1 hour ago, BernieOnTour said:

Excellent, I wouldn’t have expected that, Thailand smarter than all others !

At least one country keeping its independence, its decision making by those in charge for that - the government.

We have seen so many supranational organizations falter, the best example is the EU.

Acting this way, they will keep their flexibility to decide about quantities, suppliers, timing and type of vaccine.

Relying on the WHO, their supply would be dependent on political muggling.

And with ~80 Covid-fatalities only, they would be the last ones getting access to the vaccines (... if they really want it, considering the benefit-risk ratio).

By the way, also interesting:

that’s the first time, I am hearing, countries have to pay a surcharge on the vaccine price to the WHO ... A really benevolent approach by the WHO, especially for poor underdeveloped countries, eg. in Africa...????

Smarter your hilarious. Setting up citizens in the eyes of the world for having brains. The smart result was by Astrazeneca reconsidering  manufacturing contract with Thailand. Thanathorn and all the other brave Thais march forward. 

Who's smart the old man never invested into the top vaccine programs. Dribbling <deleted> that Thai have there  own vaccine. Absolute madness from the worst gov to ever sit. There finished anyway like there friends in Mynmar. 

Spare us the word smart. He destroyed the Thai economy long ago. Homeless Thais.

Edited by tomauasia
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, brianp0803 said:

I would guess that the world health organization would distribute the limited supply of vaccine to the countries that need it the most.
With the Thailand government reporting incredibly low number of people being infected, they might be on the bottom of the list to receive the limited supply of vaccine available to the world. Reporting very low number of infected people may backfire in being put on a priority list to receive unlimited supply of vaccine

Low numbers = low testing if recent examples are anything to go on. Anyway vaccines can wait until Thailand has joined the space program and bought their two new Chinese submarines costing billions of baht....lets wait until the country is on the bones of its <deleted>....

15 minutes ago, AMFWolfie said:

Low numbers = low testing if recent examples are anything to go on. Anyway vaccines can wait until Thailand has joined the space program and bought their two new Chinese submarines costing billions of baht....lets wait until the country is on the bones of its <deleted>....

Destitude no vaccines no tourists. Yes smart leader ????

Land of Smiles, only country in Asia without a COVAX vaccination plan .  Even the nefarious junta across the western border and despot to the east have organized something for part of their respective populations. Thailand putting all its eggs in one basket?

IMG_7286.JPG

• Like 1