Bringing in $12,000 American

elgenon

I think you are allowed to bring in $10,000 American. What is the penalty if you get caught bringing in more? I know they want high-end tourists. I don't know who I would report it to and reporting has me a little worried about getting followed. The less everyone knows, the better. Except, maybe, if i got caught.

45 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I think you are allowed to bring in $10,000 American. What is the penalty if you get caught bringing in more? I know they want high-end tourists. I don't know who I would report it to and reporting has me a little worried about getting followed. The less everyone knows, the better. Except, maybe, if i got caught.

You are allowed to bring in USD 20.000.  Failing to report if you bring in more is a criminal offence and you will at the very least be fined but the money might be confiscated too...........

https://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/bringing-currency-in-or-out-of-thailand

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ehs818 said:

Yes, Thailand allows you to bring in $20,000 USD. But if you are departing on your visit from the USA, they only allow you to take out $10,000. Good luck.

I have left USA 500x never been checked for cash leaving 

• Like 1

I thought they changed it $15,000.00 USD as that what the posters in the arrival hall states, that was about 2 years ago as I brought in about $40,000.00.
If you do bring in more that $15,000.00 you just have to go and declare it, it takes only about 5-10 minutes to fill out the form, and then the money will be legal in Thailand.
As for the leaving the USA, you can leave with more than $10,000 (Canada is the same) but you just have to report that you are taking the money out of the country, again, it's just a form you have to fill out.

As long as you declare the money then you won't have any problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the 1st time ever in my 30+ years of traveling to Asia I got stopped in Boston’s Logan airport as I was boarding my Qatar flight on Dec 2nd.. The customs guy pulled me aside and asked me how much cash I had on me that I was taking out... I told him the amount, he was very friendly and said up to $10K no issues... He said you can take any amount you want but you have to stop by customs to fill out a form... He had me fill out the form, while we were talking told him I also had a couple hundred in my billfold, I told him I wasn’t trying to hide it just never thought about it till filling in the form.. He was fine as I was being honest and up front... He did have me produce the original amount so he could count it... And he did just that and sent me on my way... They were hitting up as many as they could with 6 officers there... had I not been 1st to board I may have missed the fun... But really not a big issue if you are honest... They had some poor guy next to me with his family and asked him how much they were carrying with them, the guy gave him a number and then he looked real guilty and twitchy... The officer was explaining to him that he was going to search all 4 of them and if there was a discrepancy in the numbers there would be problems... I walked away before the search began, never did see them on the plane but I was in the front row and with Covid protocols we had to stay in our seats... Like I said be honest if pulled aside, it’s your money you can do what you want with it...  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, flexomike said:

you can take all you want out of the US, just have to declare it with customs if over $10,000, they do have sniffer dogs at some airports and than can smell out the money, I am speaking from experience. Wasn't aware of the limit and got sniffed out by a dog In Minneapolis, the officer gave me a hard time but after filling out some paperwork I was OK

This is a good point.  when you speak of traveling with cash, you should consider the laws of the arriving AND departing countries.

Many, like the US, DO in fact have *reporting* mandates for currency (which includes not only paper currency, but a lot more that the government depends to be cash-like or cash equivalent) EXPORTS due both citizens and non-citizens alike.

I myself have traveled from the US to thailand with $15,000 and once with $27,000 in paper currency form.  both times i filed a paper FinCen form with the CBP office at my departing airport and made a verbal declaration at the Thai customs RED channel.  the time with $15,000 the officer said “no problem” and waved me on...  the time with $27,000 they “ran” my name/data in their CRD system and asked to see the currency.. other than that, there were no issues. 

• Like 1

Remember to bring only new bills.  Many banks and businesses will not take old bills or currency that is torn, even though they are excepted in home country.  Was told that many of the emerging World countries have gone through many currency changes and devaluations prior.  As such, many are some what skeptical or  cautious about old and torn bills.  I still have a few USA C notes that not accepted here, but are accepted in Europe.  Have experienced this at many banks in BKK and CNX.

As well,  "AMERICAN"........   Canadian American, US American, Latin American or South American?

• 1 month later...

Just curious where you would declare it leaving USA, I don't remember ever noticing a  customs part on departures. I only remember it on arrivals. But then again I was never looking.

26 minutes ago, Tedly said:

Just curious where you would declare it leaving USA, I don't remember ever noticing a  customs part on departures. I only remember it on arrivals. But then again I was never looking.

I agree with you and I am very observant. No signs stating the max or where to declare the excess. No customs people visible.

• Like 1

Just carry it in your Trezor wallet.   You're never technically 'bringing it into any country' as it's on the blockchain.   Um, I don't do that by the way.   Just academically speaking.

Anytime I see news about anyone smuggling cash or gold, I think... do these people not have internet access?  

Edited by Heng