Thai olive oil and honey , real or fake ?

superal

Here's a simple test I found for honey.

''Fake or adulterated honey will dissolve in the water while pure honey which has a more dense texture will settle right at the bottom of the glass as lumps''.

My favourite, Doi Kham produced by the 'First Royal Food Factory' passed with flying colours. (well you'd expect it to wouldn't you) 

Edited by Moonlover

7 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

Spanish Olive oil. Baht 800 for 5 litres. Lazada. Excellent 

41C5F404-3819-4B32-9F1A-FCE306BEB805.jpeg

For years I only buy Olive extra virgin, only his  taste and smell show the high quality of these oils. Without doubt. Fragata one of the best with a very good price.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Here's a simple test I found for honey.

''Fake or adulterated honey will dissolve in the water while pure honey which has a more dense texture will settle right at the bottom of the glass as lumps''.

My favourite, Doi Kham produced by the Royal Food Factory passed with flying colours. (well it would wouldn't it) 

So would it dissolve in olive oil? Mine does. Back in the UK  i used some very expensive olive oils. Here I use Bertolli extra virgin. Not the best but definitely not fake. The honey I use here is from a local woman's house who has an apiary in her garden. I've visited it, definitely not fake. The honey you see being sold by old ladies in tourist areas is always adultered. To make my dressing, I actually prefer Thai honey to western honey.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nout said:

More myth than reality. Maggots are more useful in cleaning wound.

As I posted earlier......

Hydrogen peroxide gives most honey its antibiotic quality. But some types, including manuka honey, also have other ingredients with antibacterial qualities.

The major antibacterial component in manuka honey is methylglyoxal (MG). MG is a compound found in most types of honey, but usually only in small quantities.

In manuka honey, MG comes from the conversion of another compound, dihydroxyacetone, that is found in high concentration in the nectar of manuka flowers.

The higher the concentration of MG, the stronger the antibiotic effect.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

This OTOP honey seems genuine.

About 200 baht for 770 ml.

20210208_165242.jpg

I hardly believe that it's 100% at this price.

The only real one that I know here is imported from Germany and costs 400 thb for 500g

https://www.bigc.co.th/1481/-686/-1/langnese-honey-500-g.html

https://langnese-honey.com/blog/product_series/pure-bee-honey/

N_Golden_clear_Sommerbluete_500g_VE_Arabien_2018_v02_300dpi_360x552.png

Edited by thailanddogerator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Aforek said:

Spanish olive oil has a very good reputation, as well as Greece or Turkey

I use Sabroso olive oil, which comes from the hills of Cordoba , near Seville

the label is in English , with many details and a very small label  in Thai, because it's imported

Right.  Also the Italian Oil is a very good quality, although Olive oil is already produced even in the USA.  Tasty it is smooth and personally I prefer it a little more pure, sour and bitter, perfect for salads and cooking. BTW, Sabroso is a very good Oil too (Made in my City (Close to Sevilla),

• Like 2

Hello, 

At the moment, this is the only oil that I have found to be quite correct.
For the fruity side, do not dream.
But I shouldn't compare to the products from my country, otherwise I would be disappointed every time.
We must make do.

2 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

Guess I won’t bother with that. When I’m home in Italy I don’t buy it. I produce my own. No Mafia involvement.

That's a luxury!  I don't produce it, but we belong to a cooperative that provides us with Green Gold for our consumption and at a very affordable price.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pravda said:

Ahh another olive oil thread with Thai Visa health experts most likely using it for cooking. 

Good stuff. 

of course, and it has its logic;

Vegetable oil and olive oil are both widely used in cooking.

While olive oil is derived from olives and tends to be less processed, vegetable oil is usually a blend of several plant oils and highly processed into a neutral-tasting product.

The processing of vegetable oil leaves it lacking in many of the healthy micronutrients and plant compounds that may otherwise be found in the plants used to make it. It’s also high in omega-6 fatty acids, which can contribute to inflammation.

Extra virgin olive oil, on the other hand, retains several trace vitamins and minerals and is rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory monounsaturated fatty acids that may benefit heart and brain health.

For the Oil it should have a import stamp if its from Italy....smell it....good EVO has a nice olive aroma and it should never be heated--its to garnish with..also a source location of the olives

https://food.ndtv.com/food-drinks/how-to-check-if-your-honey-is-pure-or-adulterated-1690779

Remember No Money..No Honey!  For my tea of course ????

12 hours ago, Morch said:

Italian police break mafia ring exporting fake olive oil to U.S.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-italy-crime-food-idUSKBN1602BD

The Olive Oil Scam: If 80% Is Fake, Why Do You Keep Buying It?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ceciliarodriguez/2016/02/10/the-olive-oil-scam-if-80-is-fake-why-do-you-keep-buying-it/?sh=237741a7639d

I urge all who are interested in buying a genuine olive oil product to read the above links , a real eye opener

• Like 1
  • Sad 1