Thailand’s Disease Control Board approves 63-million dose inoculation plan

webfact

Thailand’s Disease Control Board approves 63-million dose inoculation plan

DC.jpg

Photo by Thomas SAMSON / POOL / AFP

Thailand’s Disease Control Board has approved the COVID-19 vaccine management and distribution plan for 2021. The country’s health minister, Anutin Charnvirakul, said that Thailand will receive 2 million doses of vaccine from Sinovac soon, and AstraZeneca will deliver another 26 million doses in June. Additionally, Thailand has reserved a further 35 million doses, bringing the total available to 63 million this year.

The first phase of inoculations will begin in February and last until May, with 2 million doses for people in Samut Sakhon’s red zones and nearby provinces, where the number of new cases is still rising, such as Bangkok, Samut Prakan, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Rayong, Chonburi, Chanthaburi, Trat and Tak. The second phase will begin in June and last through December, using another 61 million doses.

Anutin said, Thailand will have limited supplies of vaccines during the first phase, so inoculations of the public will be targeted at critical cases and reducing the fatality rate.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-disease-control-board-approves-63-million-dose-inoculation-plan/

Logo-top-.png

Chinese COVID-19 vaccine due for delivery to Thailand between February, April

Source: Xinhua

139687318_16112297166401n.jpg

FILE PHOTO/Xinhua

BANGKOK, Feb. 8 (Xinhua) -- A batch of the Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine will be delivered to Thailand between February and April, said Thai Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul on Monday.

During a press conference at the Ministry of Public Health headquarters, the deputy prime minister confirmed that the first batch of the Chinese vaccine will be delivered later this month, followed by another batch next month and the third batch in April.

Anutin said the Sinovac vaccine will not only be provided for Thais but also for migrant workers, who may be considered as being at high risk of infection in the country.

Full story: http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/asiapacific/2021-02/08/c_139730239.htm

inhua.jpg

-- © Copyright Xinhua 2021-02-09

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The first phase of inoculations will begin in February and last until May, with 2 million doses for people in Samut Sakhon’s red zones and nearby provinces, where the number of new cases is still rising, such as Bangkok, Samut Prakan, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Rayong, Chonburi, Chanthaburi, Trat and Tak.

I thought the number of new cases were falling.I know the number of total cases is rising but the latest published figures of new cases has been falling.  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I thought the number of new cases were falling.I know the number of total cases is rising but the latest published figures of new cases has been falling.  

This is more about appearing to be competent, in the eyes of the citizens, than addressing the current situation.

The foundations of the Thai social contract are cracking a bit. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

This is more about appearing to be competent, in the eyes of the citizens, than addressing the current situation.

The foundations of the Thai social contract are cracking a bit. 

I agree that it looks like appearing to look competent in the eyes of it's citizens but also in the eyes of the world.They do seem to be standing on unstable ground.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thaiophil said:

Interesting articles in Bangkok Post showing how Thailand relying on basically 2 vaccines, with only a small amount of Sinovac, is in sharp contrast to other SE Asian countries who are diversifying

Anutin is also quoted as saying foreigners will be able to avail private supply of other vaccines from the private hospitals, once they have FDA clearance.  Wonder what the mark up will be? More than wine in a restaurant I guess????

The mark up will be as much as your willing to pay.This way money will decide who gets the vaccines first.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The second phase will begin in June and last through December, using another 61 million doses.

If the SB facility is up and running at full production.

SB are already eyeing vaccine sales to other Countries - Re A newspaper out of Bangkok 08.02 21.

By June most of the Nations in the World will have their first Jabs done, and be looking at the second round, so Vaccines will already be sourced.

All of this does not seem to fit in with the Thai plan at all.

• Like 2

So, basically, they have no idea when the vaccines will arrive.  Might be later this month, might be February, might be March, might be April, might be June.  I guess if you toss out enough dates maybe one of them might be right.  What is known is the numbers are very small until at least June or beyond so the takeaway is it's all very slow and late.  

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have read many articles that say that Ivermectin which has been around for 30 years is making headlines and is another option in other countries vs being vaccinated.

At last choices are starting to surface, sure big pharma won't like it.

https://www.nst.com.my/opinion/letters/2021/02/663893/approve-ivermectin-plan-b-vaccination

Re ivermectin, you're citing a letter to the editor above.

In fact, ivermectin as yet has not been endorsed by any of the major, prominent health organizations as a proven treatment for COVID.

https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/statement-on-ivermectin/

The COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Panel (the Panel) has determined that currently there are insufficient data to recommend either for or against the use of ivermectin for the treatment of COVID-19. Results from adequately powered, well-designed, and well-conducted clinical trials are needed to provide more specific, evidence-based guidance on the role of ivermectin for the treatment of COVID-19.

Ivermectin is an antiparasitic drug that is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of onchocerciasis and strongyloidiasis. Ivermectin is not FDA-approved for the treatment of any viral infection. In general, the drug is well tolerated. It is currently being evaluated as a potential treatment for COVID-19.

However, most of the studies reported to date had incomplete information and significant methodological limitations, which make it difficult to exclude common causes of bias.

AND

https://unitaid.org/news-blog/unitaid-statement-regarding-ivermectin-as-a-potential-covid-19-treatment/#en

Ivermectin, as well as other repurposed products, has been suggested as a potential treatment for COVID-19 based on preliminary promising evidence – further data is needed to support a definitive recommendation either for or against its use for COVID-19.

Unitaid has collaborated with the University of Liverpool to conduct the preliminary desk analysis of existing trials evaluating ivermectin in different countries of the world, in order to facilitate a review by WHO.

In the coming weeks, results from additional trials in other countries are expected, and an in-depth analysis will be conducted by WHO to determine next steps, including the potential need for further targeted clinical studies.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-approves-sinovac-vaccine-for-broad-use-against-covid-19-11612617336

China Approves Sinovac Vaccine for Broad Use Against Covid-19

Regulators give CoronaVac green light for mass inoculation, making it the second coronavirus shot in China to get provisional approval

"HONG KONG—China’s drug regulator has given provisional approval to a Covid-19 vaccine developed by Chinese drugmaker Sinovac Biotech Ltd., which has faced questions over its vaccine efficacy due to a lack of transparency around clinical trial data.

China’s National Medical Products Administration, the country’s top drug regulator, approved Sinovac’s CoronaVac vaccine on Friday, according to a statement by the agency, giving it the green light for broad use in China ahead of next week’s Lunar New Year holiday.

From Latin America to Africa and Asia, many developing countries have pinned their hopes on CoronaVac and other Chinese vaccine candidates as richer nations snap up inoculations developed in the West. CoronaVac can be stored in an ordinary refrigerator, making it cheaper and easier to transport than others that require subzero storage temperatures."

• Thanks 1

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55212787

Covid: What do we know about China's coronavirus vaccines?

CoronaVac has been undergoing phase three trials in various countries. Interim data from late-stage trials in Turkey and Indonesia showed that the vaccine was 91.25% and 65.3% effective respectively.

Researchers in Brazil initially said it was 78% effective in their clinical trials, but in January 2021 revised that figure to 50.4% after including more data in their calculations. Earlier in November, their trials were briefly halted after the reported death of a volunteer, but resumed after the death was found to have no links to the vaccine.

PS - The Sinovac vaccine also requires two doses.

• Thanks 2

And then there is the following news re the AstraZeneca vaccine:

https://apnews.com/article/south-africa-new-vaccine-plan-77fe432d044b63c4e7ba3b0017d1529d

S Africa seeks new vaccine plan after halting AstraZeneca

"JOHANNESBURG (AP) — South Africa is considering giving a COVID-19 vaccine that is still in the testing phase to health workers, after suspending the rollout of another shot that preliminary data indicated may be only minimally effective against the mutated form of the virus dominating the country.

The country was scrambling Monday to come up with a new vaccination strategy after it halted use of the AstraZeneca vaccine — which is cheaper and easier to handle than some others and which many had hoped would be crucial to combatting the pandemic in developing countries. Among the possibilities being considered: mixing the AstraZeneca vaccine with another one or giving Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose vaccine, which has not yet been authorized for use anywhere, to 100,000 health care workers while monitoring its efficacy against the variant.

The abrupt change in strategy was prompted by preliminary results in a small study that showed the AstraZeneca vaccine was only minimally effective against mild to moderate cases of the disease caused by the variant."

All these announcements of approvals and plans and schedules are so much smoke.

Given that vaccination won't start until June at the earliest, no one can know what will be available then, and what Thai capacity for distribution and administration will be.

My plan is to go back to my home country as soon as I know they're well into vaccinating my age group.  It is sure to be well before June.

Edited by JTXR
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, rasmus5150 said:

I would rather take 10 doses of the Pfizer vaccine, than 1 Chinese.

And I am sure if the Thai population could chose, they would also prefer Pfizer.

You mean 1 Pfizer than 10 Sinovac ????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Surely shome mishtake?

Given the flak A-nut-in here often receives, the delivery date must be due to start on 30th or 31st February?

But, but ...you are mistaken. There are only 29 days in February. Surely you meant on the 29th ????

So, maybe 2 million doses arrive by 28th Feb, dosed in 2 weeks, which is nothig,  then 2 million more in April  & then nothing until end of May.

Dragging their feet here, now they have made their minds up that they will use the Chinese vaccines which appears to be the "suck it & see one" anyway 

16 hours ago, webfact said:

The first phase of inoculations will begin in February and last until May, with 2 million doses for people in Samut Sakhon’s red zones and nearby provinces, where the number of new cases is still rising, such as Bangkok, Samut Prakan, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Rayong, Chonburi, Chanthaburi, Trat and Tak.

Well, now you know where the 2 million doses of Sinovac are going. 

5 hours ago, JTXR said:

My plan is to go back to my home country as soon as I know they're well into vaccinating my age group.  It is sure to be well before June.

In which case you don't plan on coming back anytime soon unless you actually believe that the entrance requirements will return to pre-Covid normal - which they never will.