UK had 'one or two' Brexit teething issues on fishing, minister says

snoop1130

4 hours ago, natway09 said:

Understatement of the year.

Even I could see the "fishing rights" being a problem years ago but these clowns ignored it because it was too hard to solve then & now .

The chickens have come home to roost

What do chickens have to do with fishing rights?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bannork said:

More teething troubles, JD boss getting hot under the collar.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55997641

well he's got a problem

Peter Cowgill, chairman of JD Sports, said the red tape and delays in shipping goods to mainland Europe meant "double-digit millions" in extra costs.

...but he's got the solution as well

He told the BBC JD Sports may open an EU-based distribution centre to ease the problems, which would mean creating jobs overseas and not in the UK.

(..)

Opening a big warehouse distribution centre in mainland Europe "would make a lot of economic sense," he said. He estimated such a facility would employ about 1,000 people.

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/9/2021 at 5:34 AM, robblok said:

Yea its not as if the fishermen themselves know better then the government who is bias not to look foolish.

I do know who i believe, the fishermen not the UK government. 

The problem was intentional sabotage by some EU vindictive parties.  EU is damaging its own reputation and will make its hoped for new trade treaties with USA and Asia Pacific tough sell. 

Where UK was stupid was that it was so arrogant as to think it would not have tough time. Many of the issues were replay of the EU-Canada free trade agreement and they could have been better prepared if they had not taken position they were so smart and powerful. Friends of UK in  Germany, Denmark, Netherlands repeatedly warned and cautioned. I think last year, big article in Danish paper that warned of all problems UK would face and they all come true.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vogie said:

If we say that the UK is the centre of our planet and if the world was flat, I think that it would be fair to say that the Guardian would be hovering somewhere near the Sydney Opera House ready to fall off the edge.????????

They would then claim it was all Boris’s and Brexit’s fault that they fell off the left most edge of the earth. This would then be parroted as hard fact with some statistics by the Remain and EU posters because it was printed in The Grauniad. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, katana said:

If UK waters are too dirty for EU consumption of their shellfish, perhaps the EU should not be fishing

there either? Maybe the UK could help them by impounding their boats?

yeah another way for improving UK-EU relations, good idea.

retaliations are underway now, typical of national-populists who cannot understand, leaving the EU so fast and without a proper deal raises plenty of problems as soon the the UK is treated the same way as any other third country.

leave without considering and anticipating the consequences, then threaten first instead of discussing,

image.thumb.png.52cb0860160d9ad8488a3d82150eaca7.png

French fishermen could face lengthy delays before gaining access to the UK’s fishing waters under retaliatory measures being discussed if Brussels refuses to cave on its live shellfish ban

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/02/09/french-fishermen-could-suffer-retaliatory-measures-eu-fails/

we're headed for another escalation, very clever move.

• Sad 1

Worth mentioning: a good news on Brexit and fishing 

British Brexit backers have long argued quitting the EU could make the U.K. greener — now there’s some evidence to back that up.

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-green-brexit-fish-bottom-trawling-ban-dogger-bank/

“When the U.K. left the Common Fisheries Policy … that triggered an obligation under the Habitats Directive to conduct what’s called an appropriate environmental impact assessment,” said Thomas Appleby, lawyer and associate professor at the University of the West of England. The scientific recommendation led the U.K. to decide to completely ban bottom trawling in the Dogger Bank.

“That, of course, puts pressure on the European Union members,"

Edited by Hi from France

Brexit was ALL about being independent, have their own rules not depending on anybody even less on your next door neighbors and friends..... BJ is a  big liar, he had it all planned   555

https://www.express.co.uk/latest/brexit

Brexit Britain could unite with Canada and Australia (and NZ) to create ‘third biggest military'

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Brexit was ALL about being independent, have their own rules not depending on anybody even less on your next door neighbors and friends..... BJ is a  big liar, he had it all planned   555

https://www.express.co.uk/latest/brexit

Brexit Britain could unite with Canada and Australia (and NZ) to create ‘third biggest military'

Someone is making this up... someones wet dream... I think...  I see reference to CANZUK ... I would say for the most part this is a very fringe organization with no real input into official policy -- only really created by a few people with dreams of an empire that does not exist -- which unlike England -- the vast majority of people in all these countries ... don't have any interest in ... we no longer see ourselves as colonies of England.   It is not that the current military recruits are not fully trained, but without a threat on our borders that we could hope to repel in case of invasion... spending on it often done as to do just enough as to not anger our alliance partners too much.

As far as the military is concerned, I think Singapore has a larger and more modern airforce than Canada.... and I still remember running into Australians who on exchange to Canada militarily (trying to become permanent - not sure how)...  and he stated he wanted to be part of a more professional military (that was a long time, not sure then and now are different)...  I do remember a Aussie sub diving without remembering to recall people on the top... oops.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

I couldn't let it pass... they burn our Jeane D     555

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/post-brexit-trade-dont-speak-220203535.html

Post-Brexit trade: 'If you don't speak French, you're stuffed'

You would also be 'encouraged' to learn French if you 'unioned' with Canada .... we are an officially bilingual nation....

On 2/10/2021 at 6:47 PM, Hi from France said:

yeah another way for improving UK-EU relations, good idea.

retaliations are underway now, typical of national-populists who cannot understand, leaving the EU so fast and without a proper deal raises plenty of problems as soon the the UK is treated the same way as any other third country.

leave without considering and anticipating the consequences, then threaten first instead of discussing,

image.thumb.png.52cb0860160d9ad8488a3d82150eaca7.png

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/02/09/french-fishermen-could-suffer-retaliatory-measures-eu-fails/

we're headed for another escalation, very clever move.

The deal has not been approved by the EU yet, if it is violated before being passed.... I expect it will fail to pass.

12 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

The deal has not been approved by the EU yet, if it is violated before being passed.... I expect it will fail to pass.

for me I do not think this is a "violation" : it's just one of the many, many ways the UK can and will inflict

• a limited amount of real damage
  • but a lot of inflammation

The UK parliament passed the trade deal in a few hours.

This is the most important law to be passed in 10-20 years and the UK parliament didn't scrutinize it ???? 

Lacking scrutiny by the UK parliament, I think scrutiny by the European Parliament is of major importance, they will find many flaws, and hopefully point ways to correct/amend them in the years to come.

sadly the UK interests are not represented in the EP, but there are mutual interests still, so this is still somewhat good for the UK.

"c'est déjà ça de pris"

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Figures showed a boom in direct trade from the Republic of Ireland and France. Continental freight traffic between Irish and French ports was up 447 per cent in January..........good to see someone is finally benefiting from Brexit.

ferry straight/directly from France to Ireland bypassing England/Wales.... way to go

https://www.dfds.com/en/about/media/news/dfds-opens-direct-ireland-france-ferry-route

After Brexit: A new freight ferry route between Rosslare and Dunkerque offers lorries and their drivers direct and paperless transport between EU countries.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Figures showed a boom in direct trade from the Republic of Ireland and France. Continental freight traffic between Irish and French ports was up 447 per cent in January..........good to see someone is finally benefiting from Brexit.

Brexit: Ireland’s land bridge to the continent boosts air pollution in the UK

But for the UK, there is another dimension to the land bridge that has been completely overlooked. All the benefits that come from it accrue to Ireland and the EU, while all the negatives are borne by British citizens and companies.

The 150,000 truck journeys that Ireland’s imports and exports add to the UK’s road network often cause local congestion. Lorries also cause more damage to road surfaces than most other vehicles, with one study calculating that a six-axle, 44-tonne truck is over 138,000 times more damaging to the foundations of a road than a small, one-tonne car with two axles. These extra costs are covered by the UK taxpayer.

https://theconversation.com/brexit-irelands-land-bridge-to-the-continent-boosts-air-pollution-in-the-uk-143775

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/9/2021 at 11:57 AM, vogie said:

Are you saying don't blame the left wing press for lying, is this what you're asking me, please tell me you're joking. 

No were blaming the lieng right wing media that promoted a absolutely shambles that brexit is PROVING to be...serving up NON of the  phantom advantages it campaigned on. Instead we've got An economy that's shrinking by stats not been seen for ??? Years, over complicated expensive burdonsom paper work .causing companies to flee the UK and set up in Europe or risk losing their business to Europeans . the banking system losing ground daily   and your called called lieng left wing newspaper which is run effectively by a NON aligned charity. Which is FAR from the self serving /individually privately owned right wing media that pushes its own agenda AND NOTHING ELSE.   But you carry on in beautiful ignorance macduff...

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 3:34 AM, Tofer said:

It makes one wonder how they ever got on in life, with their risk averse and don't rock the boat attitudes. We'd all still be living in caves, being dictated to by dinosaurs if it was up to them..... ????

NO we'd still have a boyant growing economy that wasn't facing the largest recession for???? With the prospect of HUGE job loss's only possibly balanced by the mammoth cost of a new cumbersom customs system that making UK import export industry uncompetative... But you carry on in your rose tinted leavers glory.. living in the UK...    I CAN confidently say brexit has offered and will offer nothing but an extra burdon to the tax payer. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

No were blaming the lieng right wing media that promoted a absolutely shambles that brexit is PROVING to be...serving up NON of the  phantom advantages it campaigned on. Instead we've got An economy that's shrinking by stats not been seen for ??? Years, over complicated expensive burdonsom paper work .causing companies to flee the UK and set up in Europe or risk losing their business to Europeans . the banking system losing ground daily   and your called called lieng left wing newspaper which is run effectively by a NON aligned charity. Which is FAR from the self serving /individually privately owned right wing media that pushes its own agenda AND NOTHING ELSE.   But you carry on in beautiful ignorance macduff...

Have a problem with democracy do we? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

ferry straight/directly from France to Ireland bypassing England/Wales.... way to go

https://www.dfds.com/en/about/media/news/dfds-opens-direct-ireland-france-ferry-route

After Brexit: A new freight ferry route between Rosslare and Dunkerque offers lorries and their drivers direct and paperless transport between EU countries.

In the end, is the carbon footprint better or worst? 

I suspect that having all the lorries in a ferry ends up better for the environment, as well as for the drivers ? 

@vinny41we have the same problem in France, only much worst. England has always been more "on the fringe", while other European countries are "in the middle" of exchanges

Piggyback train transport is more and more used, Switzerland does a lot of it. 

• Like 1