Rape scene depicted in Thai soap opera sparks outrage on Twitter

snoop1130

6 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

You must be only seeing the surface and what is acceptable in public view. 

In the years I have lived here there has been murders, shootings, knife attacks, domestic violence, drunken fights in the street and mothers abandoning babies and children.  

Mind you I do live in rural villages and not a push gated housing estate of fancy condo in the middle of a big city. 

Agreed, I was referring to what's generally considered accepted and respected behaviour.

I have spent significant time in villages (Nakhon Si Thammarat) and there's definitely potential for trouble. I've been aware of all you mention except for drunken fights (they were usually too plastered to stand up). One particularly nasty phase was a spate of dog poisenings.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

You must be only seeing the surface and what is acceptable in public view. 

In the years I have lived here there has been murders, shootings, knife attacks, domestic violence, drunken fights in the street and mothers abandoning babies and children.  

Mind you I do live in rural villages and not a push gated housing estate of fancy condo in the middle of a big city. 

I'm in a gated community, and it's exactly the same.

Not so much the murder or shooting though.

• Like 1

Heh, they’re finally getting outraged? Can’t tell you how much I’ve seen over the years.

There’s been the standard guys slapping their ladies around, for not getting whatever they want. There’s been both men and women bosses in company environments abusing their female subordinates. The camera always zooms into their faces as they gleefully enjoy what they’re doing, as the dramatic music builds up. Then finally there’s the historical dramas about the good ol’ days when the servants were tied up and whipped for not bringing the tea fast enough, while the aristocracy eagerly looks on, with realistic make up wounds applied to them. <deleted>? These scenes go on for quite a long time, apparently their audiences are quite sadistic.

Several times I’ve had to tell the wife, please, let’s turn it off. I’ve already been tortured all day by screaming kids. So eventually, thank god, she got more into YouTube Thai cooking and travel videos we put on the TV, and now she works in the evenings, so I no longer have to be subjected to a shred of that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Unfortunately Thai society still objectifies women as lesser than, non equals, and not of a stature equal to men.  Thai's also seem to believe that what they see on Television is true to life actions and many live life the same way.  Just my opinion, but I see many Thai ladies acting like those on the Lakorns as well as the men being true playboys, and it is accepted in society just like Mia Noi's.

Sadly I've observed the same thing that basically the Thai soap opera is where they learn what it is to be Thai. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Well heres a few to start with....

• 1) Marie Curie: Theory of Radioactivity. ...
  • 2) Grace Hopper: The Computer. ...
  • 3) Rosalind Franklin: DNA Double Helix. ...
  • 4) Stephanie Kwolek: Kevlar. ...
  • 5) Josephine Cochrane: The Dishwasher. ...
  • 6) Maria Beasley: The Life Raft. ...

https://inventionland.com/blog/ten-female-inventors-who-changed-our-lives/

Now if a woman had invented the rocket engine, jet engine, steam engine, internal combustion engine, diesel engine .....

That would have impressed me, but that list seems a little 'desperate', 100 years of equality and nothing much to show for it.

Back on topic,

Asian society has different views on rape to western society, usually along the lines of how did the man get hold of her in the first place. A bit like their attitude to white guys ........ if you weren't here, it wouldn't have happened.

I'm not keen on rape scenes in 'entertainment' either, I don't watch movies with them (or torture, or child abuse).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I once heard a producer of the local soaps, as he was being interviewed, make the statement that they are only depicting events which take place in ordinary daily life. That is an absolute lie from the pit of hell! They are actually shaping the culture with their demonic betrayal of perverted life events, and society begins to act them out and accept them as normal because they saw it on TV and in the movies. Thai TV is a horrible example for the public at large. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

Just watch the Thai news channels. All sorts of gruesome events being filmed and broadcast there. But hey, hang on a minute, they do blur out handcuffs and the occasional corpse. 

I agree, the Thai soaps are way over the top and definitely present a real bad example and what they portray as normal behaviour. Excessive amounts of women getting slapped around really annoys me.

And don't forget to blur out cigarettes and booze, we don't want to set any bad examples, now do we? 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, connda said:

Rape isn't about sex, it's about domination.  And if you watch Thai soaps you will see daily examples of Thai men physically domination women on multiple occasions.

My wife watches this s***.  The little I catch while walking by shows this type of physical and verbal abuse of women (as well as a lot of aggressive physical abuse by characters playing their roles) on an all too often basis. 

Yeah, Thai soaps provides such great role models.  It's disgusting on a good day.

Same here... wifey just started watching... almost non stop... this stuff.

Annoys me to no end.

Maybe the wife has lost love for farang. Maybe she wants me to beat her like Thai man. Make her love homeland more?

Those soap operas are karp.

Hey! Hey! Hey! BritManToo,
maybe off topic for moderators, but that is also indecent of Brit.
Do we really leave the choice to women to express themselves?
Who sacrifices his career, when his boyfriend or her husband travels to different countries, for his work?
Who sacrifices their career to raise their children, at least the early years?
Who do we ask to do the cleaning?
Do you think women are incompetent?
But look at yourself, you try to play the tough guys, but it's not the one you think has evolved, but the woman, and that bothers you.

6 minutes ago, sirocco said:

Hey! Hey! Hey! BritManToo,
maybe off topic for moderators, but that is also indecent of Brit.
Do we really leave the choice to women to express themselves?
Who sacrifices his career, when his boyfriend or her husband travels to different countries, for his work?
Who sacrifices their career to raise their children, at least the early years?
Who do we ask to do the cleaning?
Do you think women are incompetent?
But look at yourself, you try to play the tough guys, but it's not the one you think has evolved, but the woman, and that bothers you.

English is obviously not your first language, but good enough.

I work at home (preferably). I take care of my daughters needs.

I clean better than my wife, although she does try.

Women are not incompetent, but Thai women seem to believe they are superior. They are not... they are equal.

I am still begging for my wife to help pay the mortgage, the electric and cable bill, the braces for my daughter... heck, even for her cell phone... arguments to a deaf ear.

Edited by Gumballl
Added adjective
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Many Twitter users complained that the depiction of sexual assault in the drama reinforces rape culture and victim blaming in Thailand, where women are often held to be responsible for the assaults upon them.

So when will all the knives, guns and fight scenes be cut, or is that a a true reflection of Thai culture therefore be permitted?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, connda said:

Rape isn't about sex, it's about domination.  And if you watch Thai soaps you will see daily examples of Thai men physically domination women on multiple occasions.

Rape is all about sex and domination... how many girls are raped daily in Thailand by family or close relatives... that's not about domination... just plain lust/sex?

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Unfortunately Thai society still objectifies women as lesser than, non equals, and not of a stature equal to men.  Thai's also seem to believe that what they see on Television is true to life actions and many live life the same way.  Just my opinion, but I see many Thai ladies acting like those on the Lakorns as well as the men being true playboys, and it is accepted in society just like Mia Noi's.

Thai women are second to Thai men under their form of Buddhism then things aren't going to change.

The amusing thing - living here in south Surin amongst the Khmer peasants at the bottom of everyone's hierarchy - is that, marriage being matrilocal, it's pretty obvious that it's the women who make most of the important decisions in life. The men ponce around and play silly buggars and show off for everyone's entertainment, but the women usually get their way on anything that matters.

As usual in Thailand there's a large gap between appearances and reality.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PatOngo said:

It's a depiction of what passes for manhood in Thai society...the fragile wimps view the domination of women as something that elevates them. Viewed from an outside perspective, they are the weakest "men" I have ever encountered. 30 years in Thailand and I would'nt call 1 Thai "man" a good friend!

I’ve generally formed the same view, and it applies to rich and poor. Obviously there are exceptions. 

However I think in reality women rule the roost in most cases, whether that’s the matronly wife with the henpecked husband or the mistress/pretty that milks males dry. Maybe that’s why they are weak and frustrated.

10 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

So, you have a survey to back up your statement that lesser educated females are the most prominent soap viewers? 

if you google it you will find 30 pages of links backing up what I say. I provided one but someone didn’t agree. 

Watching soaps just isn’t the done thing amongst us highly educated males. 

I could provide a Thai language link also confirming the exact same thing, but that would be against the rules. But you will find the soap viewer demographic is very similar  all over the world.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Dont forget my Gik and Sideline girl!