Dual pricing in hospitals now ?

Joinaman

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Not meaning to come across condescending, but you are in a foreign country, you can't expect them to subsidise the costs for you, i.e. you are not a tax payer.

The fact that you had already organised to be admitted to the hospital is good, however your admin skills a little lacking, i.e. you should have had them print off a total cost for the room, nights required and medicines, I think the hospital could have done this quite easily for you as a preliminary had you asked.

I understand you don't have private cover, I do, but only for emergency cover and when I do go into a hospital for treatment, I always ask what the cost is going to be and to have a print out so as to avoid any differences, I also understand that at most times one cannot have a print out unless staying overnight, that said, it isn't to hard to work it out, i.e. it is going to be far cheaper than back in the old country.

Put it down to a bad experience, your bad, don't blame the Thai's because if they were in your country they would have to pay farang prices too, i.e. the government wouldn't subsidise them unless they were a PR. 

I agree,  ibut in my country we would be honest and upfront with the true cost, not wait till they start having treatment, then increase the cost by 100%, or do you think that is acceptable

isnt hard to work out the cost ? No it’s not, if they stick to the quoted price, but very difficult to know the price if they suddenly double it without warning !

far cheaper than back in the old country, lost me there, cos in the U.K. it’s free, so can’t get any cheaper than that !

as a Thai would say, you think too much ! Of course they could do it properly, give print outs, quotes, itemised invoices, but you try getting them

4 hours ago, DavisH said:

Avoid private hospitals if possible. They charge for every band aid and qtip. I usually use government hospitals as my wife is a civil servant so can claim back some costs. 

Just getting the same treatment at the private hospital , and the saving is over 3,000 baht a day, plus much better service

So with the silly farang pricing going on, there is not much difference between the hospital, and usually much better service and rooms in private 

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

As much as some seem to  hate this place I question anyone who claims a Doctor or hospital here says to their face "Falang price".  

I have gone to the hospital a few times and possibly charged more but never ever said to my face I pay more because I am Falang.

Whatever, maybe next time record it for evidence until then....

Perhaps I should have had my phone on to record and video the conversation with the gentleman at the state hospital, then I could have posted it for you

although this was not stated to my face, but in Thai, to my Thai lady

do you recommend all farang walk about videoing and recording all conversations while being admitted, and during all treatments ?

not too sure how that would go down with the staff, do you ?

4 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

It seems you weren’t in an emergency situation, so why didn’t you just find somewhere else instead of a place that sounds more like a clip joint than a hospital.

Good idea, but a bit late when your hooked up to drips in a private room when the suddenly tell you about the 100% increase in costs

no,point in leaving the hospital till the next morning, since I’m being charged for the night anyway

• Like 1

I'd be jumping for joy at a hospital that only charges $100 USD a night. 

Multiply that by 20-50 and you'll get a night in a US hospital.  And that's before the $5 aspirin tablets, $500 blood tests, and pretty much any real treatment.  Canada and the UK are marginally cheaper for treatment outside of the NHS, but nowhere near $100 a night.

You're not paying extra.  Thai locals get a subsidy.  Just like residents of my county in Texas get a discount on the rates in the county subsidized hospital.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Joinaman said:

Hi there

had to go to hospital for some minor treatment that involved one or two nights stay

booked a private room in the state hospital, price 1,600 but a night 

turned up yesterday morning, got paperwork sorted and got a room organised 

while waiting for transport to room, lady tells me the price is now 2,000 baht because “ I’m a farang”

not happy and told her so, but not going to argue over it

gets settled into room, has first drip done, blood test and x ray , then wait for doctor to visit

when he comes , many hours later, he asks if I. Ok paying for room, and can I afford it, so I asked which price am I paying, 1,600, or 2, 000

to which he replied no, farang price is 3,200 now, and I want you to stay 5 nights now

i pointed out the room is old and dated, in an old section of the hospital, there is no soap or towels to wash my hands after toilet, no water to drink, you insist i have friend/ relative to help, and then want them to sleep on a 4 foot wooden settee , and you now want to double the price because I’m a farang ?

The treatment needed is only a hook up to a antibiotic drip for 10 minutes, twice a day, but he refused to allow me treatment without staying in the room 

even the nurse admitted it was bad, but the big boss had told them to double the price for farangs

Anyone else have this happens to them 

can’t fault the nurses, but the system stinks to high heaven 

The exact reason I always go to Bangkok Hospital, Chiang Mai. More expensive, but I know I'm getting what I'm paying for.

13 hours ago, Joinaman said:

just been to the private hospital, same drips, but as an outpatient is fine, so cost each day is half that of the state hospital, but with better service too.

with time one can learn to explore other options .   good that you did,  and now you can benefit from

your efforts. 

the medical and hospital situation is a great example ................ of what is wrong in this uncaring world.   hope the next one is better    

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Morty T said:

The exact reason I always go to Bangkok Hospital, Chiang Mai. More expensive, but I know I'm getting what I'm paying for.

pang !     but like you say........ they don't hide it

5 hours ago, impulse said:

I'd be jumping for joy at a hospital that only charges $100 USD a night. 

Multiply that by 20-50 and you'll get a night in a US hospital.  And that's before the $5 aspirin tablets, $500 blood tests, and pretty much any real treatment.  Canada and the UK are marginally cheaper for treatment outside of the NHS, but nowhere near $100 a night.

You're not paying extra.  Thai locals get a subsidy.  Just like residents of my county in Texas get a discount on the rates in the county subsidized hospital.

So a quoted  of 1,600 baht a night  for a basic room is subsidised?

I can understand the medicines and treatment being cheaper, but a private room?

as far as I know, the room rates in the U.K. are standard to anybody who wants to pay, no subsidies , only on the treatment costs 

even at 1,600, it’s an overpriced room, when you look at what you actually get for your money, not even soap or hot water, no toilet paper, no towels, no decent pillows, only vying covered blocks, 1 simple sheet type cover on a hard bed, and only a wooden settee for the servant that is required to look after you, while the nurses p,any on their phones 

but at 3,200, that’s 5 star hotel prices, with all the facilities provided in the room

how would you feel if hotels did the same, quote you a Thai price, then make you pay double price when in room ? They both provide a room for you, both have fixed costs and profit margins, yet one is honest and gives good service, while the other is often dishonest and provides very very poor service 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Joinaman said:

I agree,  ibut in my country we would be honest and upfront with the true cost, not wait till they start having treatment, then increase the cost by 100%, or do you think that is acceptable

isnt hard to work out the cost ? No it’s not, if they stick to the quoted price, but very difficult to know the price if they suddenly double it without warning !

far cheaper than back in the old country, lost me there, cos in the U.K. it’s free, so can’t get any cheaper than that !

as a Thai would say, you think too much ! Of course they could do it properly, give print outs, quotes, itemised invoices, but you try getting them

Nothing to do with honesty, it's about perception in my opinion, the problem all boils down to education and most not knowing how to or what to do then when they find out they undercharged because you are a farang, and when they do, they don't want to lose face and say what a farang would say, i.e. excuse me sir we apologise as we made a mistake, it's just part of the culture, accept it or don't, suffice to say, if you were in a Tesco/Lotus store for example and they advertised an item on the shelf with a yellow ticket showing an item was reduced by 30%, you purchased them and then when at the counter, paid, then you checked your bill and saw you were charged the full price on the item, would you purchase them, well I take them to the admin counter and enquire why I was charged full price and they look into it and then say, the sale finished yesterday sir, so I say well someone should take the yellow docket off the shelf because that's misleading and deceptive conduct, they look at me with a dumbfounded look, and I say refund please forgetting where I was for the moment, no need to get pi$$ed off, I just move along.

Now had that been back in the old country, they would have given me the item for free and then also refunded me the whole amount I paid for the item.

Not sure about your health care system back in your old country, but we are talking about someone who would be a farang (Thai) in your old country, surely you can't be suggesting the tax payer would be picking up their tab, the fact of the matter is that we all have a choice, to either proceed or go elsewhere, could even get on the plane and go back if in fact you are stating it's cheaper back in the old country, but then you have the flight costs, transfers, any accommodation and the hassle, so the 100% increase here I would believe is still cheaper, so best bite the bullet and move on, or your wound will take longer to heal.

There is no principal here, you just have to be careful and get as much info upfront as possible, I have been to hospitals and I have been given ballpark figures, and charged more sometimes, were talking chumps change, really, but I suppose everyone reacts differently. 

As long as your getting treatment and you can afford it, nothing to be upset about at the end of the day, just another experience to add to the list of what to watch out for if you ever come across something similar down the track, in other words, get back on the horse than you fell off, or were thrown off and ride on.

Welcome to Thailand, the land of smiles, adventures and anything else you want to add to that ????

Edited by 4MyEgo

20 hours ago, sandyf said:

I have to say I was a bit surprised at what was posted as I have never experienced any as you say "made up on the hoof". I have had elective procedures at 3 different government hospitals and every one had to be paid for in advance. The most recent was cataract surgery, second eye a year ago Dec. The invoice for each op was 3 full A4 pages, every last item listed and just the same price as Thais, couldn't be any more transparent.

it sounds like your situation was different than op .. or you were not given all the info from hospital   luckily you paid in advance 

16 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Don’t let it worry you. 

Thais have to pay way more for treatment in Australian hospitals than Aussies with a Medicare card. 

What goes around comes around. 

And instead of cute nurses in high heeled sneakers wiping you up in Australia you usually get an old horror beefy nurse named Shiela or sometimes even a male nurse named Bruce giving you a bath who seems to enjoy it a bit too much. 

I have found the food much better in Thai hospitals also. Three tasty cooked meals per day. In Australia you get given a stale sหเt sandwich. 

Get well soon.

Mr natai beach Let me inform you how the Medicare system works in Australia. Thais are not are not treated any different than any other foreign visitor when they need medical treatment. If they from a country such as Thailand that does not have a recipricle  arrangement with AU Medicare are charged a fee for treatment.This is fair enough as why shouid the AU taxpayers have to foot the bill.In the case of a fiance/friend the sponser promises to cover these costs as part of the visa conditions.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Thank you for the correction (and in being polite about it)! I must admit I am surprised that illegal aliens in the UK must pay 150%. Maybe Thailand got the idea from the UK.

I assume it is not a revenue raising stream in the UK (as most illegals couldn't afford to pay anything and would be deported regardless) so there must be some political, or deterrent, rationale behind the indexation. 

I assume the rationale behind Thailand's 150% is revenue  rather than deterrent.

"Illegal aliens" don't pay the higher price, in fact they are not charged at all if they are in Immigration Detention or are registered as an asylum seeker, that's also detailed in the charging rules. If people are in the UK illegally, they usually don't seek medical help unless it's life threatening, then it's free to all. 

"(and in being polite about it)!" - I'm not sure why you needed to make that throw away remark, you made an incorrect comment, I pointed out where you could find accurate information, isn't that what forums are for?

14 hours ago, Paul DS said:

Actually sorry but you are wrong.  Anyone requesting treatment in a NHS facility within the UK are charged the private treatment price, its the same for UK residents or Non UK etc. The difference you get with private treatment is that there is generally little or no waiting list.

There is no 150% price.

The post was quite correct, you are wrong.

People who live outside the EU, including former UK residents, are not automatically entitled to free NHS care. They should make sure they are covered by personal health or travel insurance so that they can recover from their insurer any treatment costs that they are required to pay. They will be charged at 150% of the NHS national tariff, unless an exemption applies to them or the service they are accessing, or they are covered by a reciprocal healthcare agreement between the UK and their country.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care/how-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care#:~:text=Visitors from Iceland%2C Liechtenstein and,of the national NHS rate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ifmu said:

it sounds like your situation was different than op .. or you were not given all the info from hospital   luckily you paid in advance 

Not a question of situation. When procedures have been necessary it has all been discussed with the doctor and an appointment arranged. You then pay the cashier before the procedure is carried out. 

If you are not happy with the price the hospital intends to charge you can go elsewhere.

16 hours ago, natway09 said:

I found the same in thinking getting some elective eye surgery would be possibly discounted at this time when not so busy but typical style it has increased in my eye hospital by 40% +

since December last year. I would have had it done by now had it even stayed the same

Unbelievable. I will now shop around.

I have had discussion with others on this topic, if interested in some details, PM me and I will add you to the conversation.

19 hours ago, colinneil said:

Find your post strange, in 1998 i was taken to Pattaya memorial hospital, by 2 farang friends.

I was taken into the emergency room, then i was in ICU 4, asked if i had insurance, yes was the answer.

Insurance company sent a fax from the UK, saying i was fully covered, i was never asked for 1 baht, everything taken care of by insurance.

After i was back in the UK i received paperwork from insurance company, saying please check sign and return, everything sorted.

Glad to hear not everyone has problems. It was a terrible experience trying to leave the hospital. 

They had told me how much and I had phoned my friend to get the money. When they said I could go I phoned him again to come to the hospital, we were only at the Sunshine Hotel in Soi 8. After a while when there was no sign so I rung him again, he said shouldn't be long his wife had popped out to 7/11.

Turned out she had gone to get her hair done, with the money in her bag, I was sat in a wheelchair at the hospital reception for about 3 hours losing the will to live. They did provide an ambulance back to the hotel.

23 hours ago, sandyf said:

I have to say I was a bit surprised at what was posted as I have never experienced any as you say "made up on the hoof". I have had elective procedures at 3 different government hospitals and every one had to be paid for in advance. The most recent was cataract surgery, second eye a year ago Dec. The invoice for each op was 3 full A4 pages, every last item listed and just the same price as Thais, couldn't be any more transparent.

Could I ask how you know the price was the same as that which Thais would have paid? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Could I ask how you know the price was the same as that which Thais would have paid? 

With the eye surgery, the hospital was recommended by a family friend and several family friends have undergone the same treatment. I was offered a mono lens varying price from 6000 to 13,000 and chose the top price. One family friend had his operation at the same time as me and I noticed his lens was in a different box. When we saw him at the checkup turned out that he had it done under the social and nobody had told him he had the option of paying the difference and ended up with the cheapest lens, bit annoyed to say the least.

The other 2 hospitals I use are local and used by family and friends, many have to pay and claim back and never slow to talk about it. Just a couple of weeks ago, friend of my wife was complaining about around 180K baht for a shoulder injury from coming off her bike.

I‘ve been living here for 35 years and worked all my life, paid official taxes in millions of THB, so do not come with the separation of those paying taxes and others. I hold a PR since 1988 yet am judged by my skin. 
As long as this is sanctioned officially by the same government people who DESPERATELY need all those dirty farang back to jump start their dead industry, it only boggles the mind. 
A drip, twice a day, never validates a 24/7 stay in a hospital room, irrespective of price. Get that on an outpatient treatment on a take-it-or-leave-it basis for the clinic or hospital. 

21 hours ago, Joinaman said:

Well I’m out now, and the bill for one nights stay, plus 2 I’ve drips came to around 5,950 baht

no option for reducing drips, nor for having them as an outpatient, no room, no drips as the doctor kept telling us

lesson learnt, don’t rust even doctors. Or nurses unless it’s in writing .

It is quite possible to receive IV antibiotics as an outpatient at government hospitals, I have done it. Usually they have you come in to the ER.

the doctor probably never encountered this before and was giving the standard Thai response to anything new ("cannot" rather than asking someone in charge). Or was just for some reason being difficult.

• Like 1

I thought that there had been a ban on gouge pricing last year.

Recent shocks: At Paolo I had a non-broken finger on Xray, As a medic of 40 years I knew that simple buddy-strapping (taping to the next finger) is normal, even for finger fractures not needing manipulation/elevation. Price was 3500 + (which included "nurse attendance", tiny XRay and scotch tape plus doctor 2000b fee---for an XRay easily read by myself. They know you have insurance because the card is always scanned onto the arrival paper).

Chula--My heart consultant was 500b Dr fee (pm queue) for at least ten years. Last week it was 900b (no tests, no drugs, no nurse). Not a private hospital.

Samitevej--60 sleeping pills 4500b.  Vichayut 60 pills varies from 1300b to 1800b (same brand, same dose as 4500b pills) depends on cashier's mood. Not paid by BUPA, of course.

Do they really want us to live here?

Eddy

12 hours ago, Joinaman said:

Even in my honest country i get a quote on paper before anything. I find this a bit oversight on your side. If price is that important to you then make sure you get it on paper. 

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

With the eye surgery, the hospital was recommended by a family friend and several family friends have undergone the same treatment. I was offered a mono lens varying price from 6000 to 13,000 and chose the top price. One family friend had his operation at the same time as me and I noticed his lens was in a different box. When we saw him at the checkup turned out that he had it done under the social and nobody had told him he had the option of paying the difference and ended up with the cheapest lens, bit annoyed to say the least.

The other 2 hospitals I use are local and used by family and friends, many have to pay and claim back and never slow to talk about it. Just a couple of weeks ago, friend of my wife was complaining about around 180K baht for a shoulder injury from coming off her bike.

Thanks. You still didn't say precisely that you saw exactly the same price being offered to farang and Thai for exactly the same product/service, but I'm not going to labour the point