Dual pricing in hospitals now ?

Joinaman

25 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

Most foreigners I know do not have insurance due to cost and age

Apart of the problem “dual price”..Can they pay the bill in the event of an accident or do they have to wait for good Samaritan?

• Sad 1

Some government hospitals are doing this now, mainly ones located in places with a lot of foreigners.

Government hospitals which don't have many foreigners are usually not doing this. But that's nto much help if you live in an area where it is done.

There is no regulation against it, in fact the official government hospital price guide (which is widely ignored as most hospitals charge more) explicitly lists different pricing according to nationality. So no grounds for making a complaint.

Sounds like this is all in the past tense but for future reference, when it is just for IV antibiotics there is often a regimen option that is just once a day dosing in which case you can easily go in each day and have it done outpatient.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Apart of the problem “dual price”..Can they pay the bill in the event of an accident or do they have to wait for good Samaritan?

Many I know can, bu5 there will always be some that can’t 

just like many can’t get, or afford the high insurance premiums 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

Many I know can, bu5 there will always be some that can’t 

just like many can’t get, or afford the high insurance premiums 

That’s exactly the risk to live as expat without insurance!.. especially at risk age

Edited by Tarteso

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Some government hospitals are doing this now, mainly ones located in places with a lot of foreigners.

Government hospitals which don't have many foreigners are usually not doing this. But that's nto much help if you live in an area where it is done.

There is no regulation against it, in fact the official government hospital price guide (which is widely ignored as most hospitals charge more) explicitly lists different pricing according to nationality. So no grounds for making a complaint.

Sounds like this is all in the past tense but for future reference, when it is just for IV antibiotics there is often a regimen option that is just once a day dosing in which case you can easily go in each day and have it done outpatient.

Well I’m out now, and the bill for one nights stay, plus 2 I’ve drips came to around 5,950 baht

no option for reducing drips, nor for having them as an outpatient, no room, no drips as the doctor kept telling us

lesson learnt, don’t rust even doctors. Or nurses unless it’s in writing .

just been to the private hospital, same drips, but as an outpatient is fine, so cost each day is half that of the state hospital, but with better service too.

for anyone who thinks I’m wrong, please feel free to ask at Sakon Nakhon main hospital for farang prices on private rooms .

I also liked the cold mushroom soup and the frozen burger for tea last night, all I had to do was hobble down the corridor and join the queue for the microwave oven in the corridor , almost as good as the cold corn soup and dry cornflakes this morning 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

That’s exactly the risk to live as expat without insurance!

But like many, I find the insurance at  my age ridiculous, so always have funds, both here and in U.K. to cover these things

its not really about the price, which is a rip off for what is provided, but the way farang s are treated .. but it’s getting to the point where I could stay in a private hospital, with free WiFi , much better room, much better service and still cost almost the same 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Back in 2003 I had an accident and had broken ribs. I was taken into Pattaya Memorial and they took my passport until they had been paid. Although I had insurance, they weren't interested, had to be cash. Never been to a private hospital since.

Find your post strange, in 1998 i was taken to Pattaya memorial hospital, by 2 farang friends.

I was taken into the emergency room, then i was in ICU 4, asked if i had insurance, yes was the answer.

Insurance company sent a fax from the UK, saying i was fully covered, i was never asked for 1 baht, everything taken care of by insurance.

After i was back in the UK i received paperwork from insurance company, saying please check sign and return, everything sorted.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

Well I’m out now, and the bill for one nights stay, plus 2 I’ve drips came to around 5,950 baht

no option for reducing drips, nor for having them as an outpatient, no room, no drips as the doctor kept telling us

lesson learnt, don’t rust even doctors. Or nurses unless it’s in writing .

just been to the private hospital, same drips, but as an outpatient is fine, so cost each day is half that of the state hospital, but with better service too.

for anyone who thinks I’m wrong, please feel free to ask at Sakon Nakhon main hospital for farang prices on private rooms .

I also liked the cold mushroom soup and the frozen burger for tea last night, all I had to do was hobble down the corridor and join the queue for the microwave oven in the corridor , almost as good as the cold corn soup and dry cornflakes this morning 

6000 baht for one night stay is ridiculous.

Even though there is double pricing in all hospitals but some hospitals charge a much lower fee.

Can you tell us which hospital is this? so we can avoid in the future.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I  just read that article.

Why should retirees be made to pay higher than those who are working in Thailand?

I mean if one has work permit, one should have more money than the retirees. 

This doesn't make sense.

In most other countries, retirees or senior citizens usually get a discount.

I guess those who are working in Thailand are paying income tax and social security.  Foreign retirees are by definition not poor, as there is a financial requirement to get a retirement extension.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

6000 baht for one night stay is ridiculous.

Even though there is double pricing in all hospitals but some hospitals charge a much lower fee.

Can you tell us which hospital is this? so we can avoid in the future.

From his previous post: Sakon Nakhon main hospital 

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I would imagine that most foreigners have insurance so won't have to pay the "dual price" themselves.

My local hospital charges me 50bht extra per visit, same as for Thais not registered at that hospital, or Burmese using that hospital.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CharlieH said:

That sort of "gouging" is disgusting, but to do it to someone who (sick) needs help etc is just beyond low ! 

Hate the apparent descrimination that goes on here in Thailand in many aspects.

Unfortunately been on the receiving end of it a few times too. What really irritates me is how they(some) feel its perfectly acceptable to do it purely because "you are not Thai".

This is pretty normal around the world. I go to a hospital in Australia and it's free, my partner does and she pays $300 minimum. Any treatment and that goes into 4-5 figures very quickly.

Governments subsidise treatment for local patients. Foreign patients are more likely to skip town to avoid paying the bill so they need to factor this in.

5 hours ago, CharlieH said:

That sort of "gouging" is disgusting, but to do it to someone who (sick) needs help etc is just beyond low ! 

Hate the apparent descrimination that goes on here in Thailand in many aspects.

Unfortunately been on the receiving end of it a few times too. What really irritates me is how they(some) feel its perfectly acceptable to do it purely because "you are not Thai".

True, but what annoys me more is when you get an illogical excuse: 'Yes, room rate is higher because today is Wednesday'.

• Haha 1