Drama! Couple of Thai dishes for 500 baht - tourism leader defends hotel

webfact

3 hours ago, Airalee said:

For 50 baht or less, you will get the typical rice with a spoonful of topping...not the full plate of krapow.  That will run 120-150 in common Thai restaurants.

She had the opportunity to leave if she felt that the prices were exorbitant after looking at the menu but instead followed through with her order so she could subsequently be a Facebook “drama queen” (as it is called in the English language)

Hm,...been all around Thailand and always paid between 40 and 80 Bth for a krapaow....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, off road pat said:

Hm,...been all around Thailand and always paid between 40 and 80 Bth for a krapaow....

Here’s a screenshot from the restaurant near me (Onnut BKK) from foodpanda.   They mark it up ฿10 over their eat in price.  Most others in the area are right around this price.  The only places that I have seen lower prices are at open air roadside stalls.  ฿250 isn’t cheap for sure...but if it’s from a supposed 5 star resort on a resort based island then it really doesn’t surprise me...nor should have surprised the lady whining on Facebook.

8E48F7CC-A84C-48E6-B070-715D131DF505.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Saksit (no surname given) said it was a five star hotel and clearly marked on the menu

I call BS on this but will sincerely apologize if I am shown a menu with the caption '5 Star Hotel' printed on it.

On what or whose rating scale does this establishment appear?

Please confirm that Koh Chang has hotels rated as '6 Star'

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

If you want to pay normal price, don't eat at 5 star hotel. I think this is common sense.

They need to pay high salaries for the staff at 5 star hotel.

5 star star chef cooking phad bai ga prao moo... damn those are some skills.

3 hours ago, mr mr said:

i'm with the hotel on this one. price clearly marked. upscale(debatable) resort. customer cries after receiving a bill for something they clearly knew the price of. 

p**s off.

No mention in the original post or report that the Price was clearly displayed. Were you there and checking the menu?, or are you just being a t***er?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I call BS on this but will sincerely apologize if I am shown a menu with the caption '5 Star Hotel' printed on it.

Please confirm that Koh Chang has hotels rated as '6 Star'

I have to agree, the original report did not mention that the price was 'clearly displayed'.

2 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:
7 hours ago, webfact said:

Saksit (no surname given) said it was a five star hotel and clearly marked on the menu

I understand your confusion but you're quoting a TV translation of a Thai language news article and the translation is lacking, "five star hotel" is not printed on a menu.

In the Thai version he said the hotel is a luxury hotel on Koh Chang or 5 star hotel and the tourists would know the price (of food) since its listed on the menu.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Drama! Couple of Thai dishes for 500 baht - tourism leader defends hotel

11pm.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

The online post of a woman who was charged 500 baht for two basic Thai dishes caused a bit of a "drama" (as it is called in the Thai language these days).

She had paid 250 baht each for kapow moo (pork with basil) and 250 baht for moo thort grathiam (pork fried with garlic) with an egg on the side.

It was at a fancy hotel on the holiday island of Koh Chang in the east of Thailand.

Much comment followed especially as the dishes are considered "everyday" fare usually available on the street for about 50 baht or less.

77kaoded asked the Trat tourist Business Association secretary what he thought.

Saksit (no surname given) said it was a five star hotel and clearly marked on the menu so customers would know. 

People were entitled to voice their opinion but he stated that of course food has different prices in different locations and so long as customers knew what they had to pay then there was no problem.

He said he wanted potential tourists to understand that Koh Chang was a tourist area and would be more expensive but not all places on the island would have food as expensive as this. 

People had to expect a difference between 5 and 6 star hotels and cheaper establishments, he noted.

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-10

This certainly was NOT a 5 or 6 star hotel, such ones would not have issued a hand-written slip, supposedly was a street restaurant

16 hours ago, BMW Overlander said:

5 star hotel issuing hand written receipt? First time see this anywhere in the world.

Maybe the hotel owners are also wondering why the hand written receipt when they have a perfectly good computer system to keep track of receipts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why do they bitch around something which is clearly published in the menu of the said Food & Beverage outlet?

This has happened thousands of times to all those dirty farangs who, unknowingly, did not ask for the price before and got nicely creamed with much more on the tap for serious <deleted> on the plate - your call! 

Only been to the island with my Thai family. We stayed in a 2 star place, and

cooked some food in Bangkok, then reheated it at the guest house.  Enjoyed 2

nights there then back to Bang Sean for 1 night and back to the polluted city.

I have found that if you want to stay in the fancy hotels, and sit in their

fancy restaurant, do not expect the street side prices.  Most people know

this when they show up at the 5 star places.  

Geezer

• 7 months later...
On 2/10/2021 at 2:10 PM, KeeTua said:

I doubt they looked at the menu. These are the kind of common simple dishes Thais eat daily and they don't need nor usually bother with a menu when they order.

Well, they'll think twice next time, won't they?

Orange juice on their face.

On 2/10/2021 at 8:12 PM, KeeTua said:

Haha, and do you ask for the price upfront before ordering drinks in bars? I know I never have and I have been shocked on occasion but roll with it and move on.

Always. Always, always, always, <deleted> always...in Thailand, and I would in any country like Thailand.

• 2 months later...
On 2/10/2021 at 1:09 PM, colinneil said:

Maybe he could explain where all the 6 star hotels are.    

So ole Saksit is trying to defend people being ripped off, pathetic really.

Still beats $50 tea in lobby of Bellagio....