Pattaya beer bar owners make plea for later opening - Expats don't come out until late and want to stay drinking

webfact

18 hours ago, webfact said:

She explained that most of her customers were expats with families or long term foreign residents who don't get out until 8 or 9pm so they only have 2 or 3 hours to enjoy a beverage. 

Maybe expats etc should change their habits...

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Maybe the businesses and powers that be should adapt to their customers. 

The reason expats and locals go out at 8-9pm is because there is plenty of drinking time left to enjoy.. [normally]

why don't they go out a bit earlier if the closing time is earlier.

17 hours ago, skorp13 said:

They are using foreigner complaints as leverage. If they stay open longer they can make more money and have a better chance at recovering losses. Also girls that work the bar have a chance at more drinks which means more money they have a chance to send home

Oh? They don't don't receive unemployment benefits?

What difference does it make? People prefer to go out after 8pm until late.....and  no, 4 hours is not enough for some.

It's always 5 o'clock somewhere.

The bar I frequent (in the USA) closes at 10pm. Whatever. I hit the bar stool at 2pm, and perhaps hang out for 3 to 4 hours. Then I'm done.

Some folks, perhaps related to Dracula, like to go out late. Why?

P.S. Do NOT spread this secret... it is legal to buy booze and drink it at home. Friends are always welcome.

Edited by Gumballl

8 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

Some folks, perhaps related to Dracula, like to go out late. Why?

Numerous reasons (in Thailand same as anywhere else in the world) e.g. working to overseas hours, working locally such as in shopping malls/restaurants and don't finish until late, had a long day at the beach and had a sleep in the early evening, clubs don't liven up until after midnight (regardless of the tired cliche "nothing good happens after midnight"), certain clubs are lively at certain hours etc. etc. Personally I'd often head out for the night anytime between around 10 pm and 4 am in places around the world, never did understand the people saying everything should be closed by 11 pm/midnight just because that may be their lifestyle. 

4 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Numerous reasons (in Thailand same as anywhere else in the world) e.g. working to overseas hours, working locally such as in shopping malls/restaurants and don't finish until late, had a long day at the beach and had a sleep in the early evening, clubs don't liven up until after midnight (regardless of the tired cliche "nothing good happens after midnight"), certain clubs are lively at certain hours etc. etc. Personally I'd often head out for the night anytime between around 10 pm and 4 am in places around the world, never did understand the people saying everything should be closed by 11 pm/midnight just because that may be their lifestyle. 

We are definitely in different age groups. When I was your age, I followed the same herd mentality.

Nowadays, I would rather spend time with my woman at a nice dinner, and the enjoy the rest of the evening together, with drinks or not. I do not need loud music or drunks in a room to make it a memorable experience.

Soon enough, you will perhaps subscribe to the same philosophy. Until then, deal with the pandemic.

Peace.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

Soon enough, you will perhaps subscribe to the same philosophy.

No doubt, but I hope I don't forget what it's like to be young (which I am far from) and start spouting "Nothing good happens after midnight" like so many wrinklies do around the world.

8 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

Until then, deal with the pandemic.

I am, was just answering your question and reminding you of your youth ????

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The reason expats and locals go out at 8-9pm is because there is plenty of drinking time left to enjoy.. [normally]

why don't they go out a bit earlier if the closing time is earlier.

No, it is a usual  and convenient time to go out. What time would you go out at home? I actually did go out a bit earlier, but would prefer later... is Covid more prevalent at night?

• Like 1

No, it is a usual  and convenient time to go out. What time would you go out at home? I actually did go out a bit earlier, but would prefer later... is Covid more prevalent at night?

Nothing to do with Covid more prevelant at night.

There is plenty of opportunity to drink during the day or evening... with 11pm closing

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Nothing to do with Covid more prevelant at night.

There is plenty of opportunity to drink during the day or evening... with 11pm closing

You reckon eh!

No there isn't... a lot of people are busy during the day.  This 3 day weekend would have been more profitable, had places been allowed to open a little later. Working Expats would prefer later timings.

Edited by jacko45k