Biggest Starbucks in Thailand opens in Bangkok - and it will serve alcohol

webfact

A Grande cup of Starbucks in the US runs $2.25 or 68 Baht.  Here the same cup runs you 150 baht.  I believe someone's making a huge profit here, and here they charge you to add cream and sugar if you want it.  In the US, they have a station at the end of the counter where you add it in yourself.  The Philippines is the same as in the US, so why the hell is Starbucks so fricking expensive here.  Of course I make my own at home using my De'longhi espresso coffee maker, I brought with me, as I like to drink espresso or make an Americano.  Stupid prices here.

Edited by ThailandRyan

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

A Grande cup of Starbucks in the US runs $2.25 or 68 Baht.  Here the same cup runs you 150 baht.  I believe someone's making a huge profit here, and here they charge you to add cream and sugar if you want it.  In the US, they have a station at the end of the counter where you add it in yourself.  The Philippines is the same as in the US, so why the hell is Starbucks so fricking expensive here.  Of course I make my own at home using my De'longhi espresso coffee maker, I brought with me, as I like to drink espresso or make an Americano.  Stupid prices here.

Yeah, it’s much cheaper to watch movies on TV than to go to the cinema as well...

17 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The Philippines is the same as in the US, so why the hell is Starbucks so fricking expensive here

You run across people on this forum bitterly complaining about the high cost of wine. Thailand has a high tax on wine.

It is exactly the same with coffee. Thailand has a very high tax on imported coffee's. Check it out,  250 Grams of 'Komodo Dragon' Blend would cost 215 B at a Starbucks store in the US or Canada. In Thailand it would cost 550 or 600B for 250 grams. That is a Starbucks brand. Check the price of Illy espresso in the can - basically the same. Anywhere from 2.6 to 3 times the price when you buy here in Thailand. Starbucks occasionally serves Thai coffee but their mainstays are all imported coffees.

When we can travel again, if that day ever comes. Don't forget to grab a few 3lb, 1.36 kilo bags to stuff in your suitcase for the return trip. 

costcoIMG_20191221_040241498.jpg

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 2

Thanks, I knew that there were import taxes on all kinds of items, but Starbucks being an International brand now I would have thought they would have been able to negotiate a better deal.  However, this is Thailand, and of course they tax the hell out of everything they can.  It makes me wonder if the Thai's only drink it for a status boost much like owning the latest I-phone.  Saw a group of students yesterday in Starbucks using the free wi-fi and all sharing 1 cup of coffee, while taking selfies holding the cup up and being next to the Starbucks sign.

17 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thanks, I knew that there were import taxes on all kinds of items, but Starbucks being an International brand now I would have thought they would have been able to negotiate a better deal.  However, this is Thailand, and of course they tax the hell out of everything they can.  It makes me wonder if the Thai's only drink it for a status boost much like owning the latest I-phone.  Saw a group of students yesterday in Starbucks using the free wi-fi and all sharing 1 cup of coffee, while taking selfies holding the cup up and being next to the Starbucks sign.

How do you know they were using the free wifi? 

A lot of people buy Starbucks coffee because they like it. A lot of people also like the iPhone. Why are people (apparently) held up as fools for spending their money on what they want?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mogandave said:

How do you know they were using the free wifi? 

A lot of people buy Starbucks coffee because they like it. A lot of people also like the iPhone. Why are people (apparently) held up as fools for spending their money on what they want?

6 Students 1 cup of coffee, sharing the cup and taking selfies while posting them more than likely on their social media, Students of between 15 and 16 years of age.  Of course it is pure speculation on my part, they must be independently wealthy and drive Ferrari's as well, foolish of me to think anything else.  On your way kind sir, and thank you for showing me the error of my ways....Not.   

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It makes me wonder if the Thai's only drink it for a status boost much like owning the latest I-phone.  Saw a group of students yesterday in Starbucks using the free wi-fi and all sharing 1 cup of coffee, while taking selfies holding the cup up and being next to the Starbucks sign

Let's see, the SB @ Central in Chiang Mai doesn't have WiFi, or at least didn't use to when I went there several years ago and the prices are higher than SB in the US.

Since then I've learned to go to local coffeeshops or kiosks in malls where it costs under 50B, sometimes as low as 25B for a cup of iced coffee.

And 7-11 has an pretty good ice coffee for around 25 or 30B, and they will deliver.

And of course, you can make excellent ice coffee at home even cheaper.  Here's the recipe:

Put ground coffee in French press.  Add cold water.  Let sit overnight.  Press.  Add sweetened condensed milk.  Add ice.  Stir.  Drink.  Enjoy saving money.

Confirmed. ????

Edited by SiSePuede419
Typos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Since then ........ I've learned to drink tea at home, at around 1bht a cup and the wifi is excellent.

Coffee shops are for lonely single people living in small condo's with money to burn.

Or freelancers on the off chance of picking up some lonely farang meal ticket........

• Haha 1

On 2/12/2021 at 2:51 PM, misterjames said:

Great now wannabe hiso Thai people can pour whiskey in their latte to forget that they are spending half of what they earn in a days work on one coffee, whilst pretending to be rich.

That would also apply to many CC,s farlangs ,

pretending to be rich ...

No shortage of them , in the Kingdom ...

6 minutes ago, elliss said:

That would also apply to many CC,s farlangs ,

pretending to be rich ...

No shortage of them , in the Kingdom ...

What pray tell is a farlangs? and CC,s?  Are you into shorthand without using true abbreviations or monikers.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Rocking Robert said:

Try McDonald’s you will be surprised. 

Yeah, the hot latte at McD’s is good, and the regular coffee you get with the set breakfast is okay.

No doubt someone will come along and insist it the absolute worst coffee on the planet, except of course for Starbucks. 

So if you get a cheeseburger at McD’s, and a coffee at Starbucks, you can have the worst  burger on the planet and you can wash it down with the worst coffee on the planet, while pretending to be a rich  hiso taking selfies with the cup and using free wifi to post on social media. 

Hey, If I save the Starbucks cup do you think I can get it refilled at seven? As I understand it, seven have the absolute best coffee on the planet.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Since then ........ I've learned to drink tea at home, at around 1bht a cup and the wifi is excellent.

Coffee shops are for lonely single people living in small condo's with money to burn.

That be the biggest load <deleted> I have read from you. 

• Haha 1

On 2/12/2021 at 2:51 PM, misterjames said:

Great now wannabe hiso Thai people can pour whiskey in their latte to forget that they are spending half of what they earn in a days work on one coffee, whilst pretending to be rich.

Then drive  home over the limit and maim/kill some more to add to the daily tally.

2 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Then drive  home over the limit and maim/kill some more to add to the daily tally.

Without having a license because they did not have a medical certificate or someone else bought the car they are driving with their medical certificate.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

starbucks is absolute garbage coffee, those that drink it have p*ss poor taste buds or want others to think they are "woke", many of the smaller coffee shops/makers produce much better tasting coffee, like most things its the name sells it not the taste 

13 hours ago, mogandave said:

Yeah, the hot latte at McD’s is good, and the regular coffee you get with the set breakfast is okay.

No doubt someone will come along and insist it the absolute worst coffee on the planet, except of course for Starbucks. 

So if you get a cheeseburger at McD’s, and a coffee at Starbucks, you can have the worst  burger on the planet and you can wash it down with the worst coffee on the planet, while pretending to be a rich  hiso taking selfies with the cup and using free wifi to post on social media. 

Hey, If I save the Starbucks cup do you think I can get it refilled at seven? As I understand it, seven have the absolute best coffee on the planet.

I just can't  understand the <deleted> that use these  places apart from vanity, the  look at me, selfie, pasty white faced plastic  look, useless, easily  offended  generation.

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Without having a license because they did not have a medical certificate or someone else bought the car they are driving with their medical certificate.

That they're  behind  on the payments for because they bought too many coffee's.

• Like 1