Biggest Starbucks in Thailand opens in Bangkok - and it will serve alcohol

webfact

55 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

wouldn't set foot in one here, over priced stuff, low grade coffee and so up themselves as a company.  Plenty of cheaper and nicer places around this country, as it seems to be  National obsession to open a coffee shop every 500 metres. 

Again, I don’t trade with them, and while there are certainly shops with better products, and shops that are nicer, but I doubt there are a lot that “plenty” of shops that are cheaper AND nicer. 

The stores are pretty nice...

7 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Well, Starbucks has been here for 20 years, and it seems to me that there are more and better coffee shops than ever. 

Say what you want, but Starbucks has forced everyone to up their game.

Do you not agree? 

I don't know, I have never been in one. When I first arrived 40 years ago, even Nestcafe was difficult to get let alone milk, yes milk. Even before Starbucks arrived I could buy some good coffee but yes we have more choice now, really don't know if it is because of starbucks. I'm not a cheap Charly but I don't pay $$ for coffee that costs more than my father in law makes in one day. Not only Starbucks but I have a whole list that I don't visit, I don't feel like I missing out on something. 

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

wouldn't set foot in one here, over priced stuff, low grade coffee and so up themselves as a company.  Plenty of cheaper and nicer places around this country, as it seems to be  National obsession to open a coffee shop every 500 metres. 

Would not go into one anywhere in the world, tried the product three times in three different countries, same disgusting slop served under the guise of coffee, three times, never again

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

I don't know, I have never been in one. When I first arrived 40 years ago, even Nestcafe was difficult to get let alone milk, yes milk. Even before Starbucks arrived I could buy some good coffee but yes we have more choice now, really don't know if it is because of starbucks. I'm not a cheap Charly but I don't pay $$ for coffee that costs more than my father in law makes in one day. Not only Starbucks but I have a whole list that I don't visit, I don't feel like I missing out on something. 

I’ve never been a lot of places, but I believe competition is good for consumers. 

Do you believe 7-11 has generally driven improvement in convenience stores or have you never been in one of those?

(just kidding) 

4 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Would not go into one anywhere in the world, tried the product three times in three different countries, same disgusting slop served under the guise of coffee, three times, never again

Where do you buy the good coffee, seven?

5 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Yes, absolute slop, rude staff and filthy shops as well!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Screw that! I don’t even drink overpriced <deleted> coffee here in the west let alone I’ll drink it in Thailand that costs twice more than here. There’s so many better coffee shop over there. Hate to see ppl being pretentious that they can’t afford specially what’s happening in the world. In Canada 300 starbucks is closing down because they know the coffee are <deleted>ty and overpriced and ppl are not being dupe into their BS. 

• Like 1

when the hordes of group tours get dumped again at Iconsiam (thanks to the contracts with the local agents)
those aimlessly wandering around 'visitors' will finally have found a perfect place to not buy a thing and take a nap.

Edited by orchis

18 minutes ago, michaellee said:

In Canada 300 starbucks is closing down because they know the coffee are <deleted>ty and overpriced and ppl are not being dupe into their BS. 

Good to see our commonwealth cousins catching up ????

Along with a bad product (IMO, obviously can be debated based on what people have been used to) this is a good analysis of their failure in Oz and it basically reflects your comments  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FGUkxn5kZQ&ab_channel=CNBC

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, michaellee said:

Screw that! I don’t even drink overpriced <deleted> coffee here in the west let alone I’ll drink it in Thailand that costs twice more than here. There’s so many better coffee shop over there. Hate to see ppl being pretentious that they can’t afford specially what’s happening in the world. In Canada 300 starbucks is closing down because they know the coffee are <deleted>ty and overpriced and ppl are not being dupe into their BS. 

So it’s your position that the people trading with Starbucks are pretentious and cannot afford to? 

Edited by mogandave
clarity

21 hours ago, kotsak said:

Great! 350 ppl loitering the place with no seat to be found for those who want to get a coffee..

I've always been puzzled by their business model. Surely the aim of any café or restaurant is to get people in and out as quickly as possible so they can put more bums on seats. Yet Starbucks does the opposite and makes people want to stay. Obviously there's a part that I'm not understanding.

• Like 1

Love all the cranky, bitter comments. Classic TV.

Am under the impression that a local Thai company, Coffee Concepts Thailand, a joint venture between Maxim’s Caterers Ltd and Thai partner F&N Retail Connection Co., own/operate all of the Starbucks here.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30369933

So, run by Thais, for Thais.

Pro-tip: If you don't like Starbucks don't go to one.

• Like 2

I think it's so expensive here in USA.  And same prices in Bangkok.  I refuse to support SB.  But I did send my gal a gift card for b-day.    It's such a status symbol.  I grind beans daily and brew my own coffee for 10% of a SB.  I even roast my own beans sometimes. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've always been puzzled by their business model. Surely the aim of any café or restaurant is to get people in and out as quickly as possible so they can put more bums on seats. Yet Starbucks does the opposite and makes people want to stay. Obviously there's a part that I'm not understanding.

Are you kidding?  Your puzzlement would be valid if they only served coffee, but they've added alcohol to the mix.  Drinkers keep buying!

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Really? The additional cost of having people stay is rolled into the price of the coffee.  Clearly a lot of people like the product, and it is consistent.

12 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

When I'm in Bangkok I tend to have a early coffee in the Metro Mall at Sukhumvit MRT station. There's a Starbucks, and exactly opposite is an Amazon which does decent coffee and charges half as much. Yet still I see people buying Starbucks. Image is a powerful thing.

I like the iced coffee at Amazon (Amazon Extra), but I think the hot latte at Starbucks is much better than Amazon. Amazon stores are getting much nicer, but typically are not nearly as nice as Starbucks. Have not been to an Amazon in months, and it's been years since I've been to a Starbucks.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, tigerfeet said:

And how many local small businesses will this close 

None would be my guess. Unless you think you think people are to just nip down to Starbucks Iconsiam for a quick coffee instead of their favourite local coffee joint (or even their local Starbucks).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DirtyFarang said:
36 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Are you kidding?  Your puzzlement would be valid if they only served coffee, but they've added alcohol to the mix.  Drinkers keep buying!

Adding alcohol is a recent thing and has come long. long after Starbucks became a worldwide success.