Biggest Starbucks in Thailand opens in Bangkok - and it will serve alcohol

webfact

23 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I like the iced coffee at Amazon (Amazon Extra), but I think the hot latte at Starbucks is much better than Amazon. Amazon stores are getting much nicer, but typically are not nearly as nice as Starbucks. Have not been to an Amazon in months, and it's been years since I've been to a Starbucks.

If you've not been for years to SBs, how can you compare Amazon & them. Do you think their products have been exactly the same since you were last there, months or years?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BostonRob2 said:

It appears that the expats in Thailand are not overly enamored with our great national institution that is Starbucks - what do they drink, Nescafe?

No, Maxwell House !    LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Where I live in southern Oregon Starbucks is the cheapest priced coffee in town and if you have their card the refill is free. Since they stopped having a different blend everyday and just serving Pike Street the quality has gone down a bit. Here it is way over priced. I usually go to Amazon since it is close to where I live here in Thailand, but I like Southern Coffee. For 40bht they give you the coffee, a small bowl of a sweet crackers, and a hot tea chaser.

22 hours ago, misterjames said:

Great now wannabe hiso Thai people can pour whiskey in their latte to forget that they are spending half of what they earn in a days work on one coffee, whilst pretending to be rich.

Another hang-out for Thais taking in the free air conditioning, trying to look cool supping coffee they don't like..

• Like 1

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Biggest Starbucks in Thailand opens in Bangkok - and it will serve alcohol

Starbucks-Reserve-Chao-Phraya-Riverfront-First-floor-seating-area-1.jpg

Starbucks on Friday opened its largest shop in Thailand.

The two level store, called Starbucks Reserve Chao Phraya Riverfront, opened at IconSiam and measures a whopping 1,260 sqm - twice the size of Starbucks Central World, which was previously the largest branch in Thailand. 

Able to accommodate 350 customers, the store offers spectacular panoramic views of the Chao Phraya river and also includes a large ‘work zone’ for people to catch up on work while in the store.

Starbucks-Reserve-Chao-Phraya-Riverfront-Store-front-2.jpg

148468302_10158553416855958_4443365818856686422_o.jpg

Customers can choose from a selection of locally sourced Thai and international coffee beans and there is also a dedicated ‘TEAVANA’ tea bar offering up a variety of tea such as  Lychee, Earl Gray Tea and Peach Mojito.

The store also will be the first Starbucks branch in Thailand to serve alcoholic beverages.

The new Mixologist bar is expected to open once COVID-19 restrictions are eased, the firm said.

There are now more than 400 branches of Starbucks in Thailand, with the firm planning to add 20-30 stores within the next year, many of which will be drive-thru branches.

Source: Positioning Mag

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-12

Great place to spread COVID-19 

"there is also a dedicated ‘TEAVANA’ tea bar offering up a variety of tea such as  Lychee, Earl Gray Tea and Peach Mojito.

The store also will be the first Starbucks branch in Thailand to serve alcoholic beverages."

I thought Peach Mojito was an alcoholic beverage?

Interesting, in Sweden Starbucks are closing store after store and in Thailand it opens more. Could it be that the Swedes are healthier and don't want the calorie bombs they serve at Starbucks? But even I enjoy a Frappuccino maybe once a week or every second week.

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes, absolute slop, rude staff and filthy shops as well!

Another angry bitter nonsense post.  If you don't like their coffee, fine, or if you can't afford it, fine, or you don't like people hanging out there, fine.  Absolute slop??   Rude staff??  Filthy shops??  What nonsense.  The staff are well trained, polite, friendly, and speak decent English.  The "shops" are spotless.   Have you ever actually been in one?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Another angry bitter nonsense post.  If you don't like their coffee, fine, or if you can't afford it, fine, or you don't like people hanging out there, fine.  Absolute slop??   Rude staff??  Filthy shops??  What nonsense.  The staff are well trained, polite, friendly, and speak decent English.  The "shops" are spotless.   Have you ever actually been in one?

He started it!

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

It would be more impressive if they improve their rubbish food choices. They have no clue that a better food choice would improve footfall.

I agree that their food choices could use some improvement... that i agree with.. i do however, think, on balance, their stores are well designed, relaxing and inviting... and their coffee is more than acceptable....  so if they were to perhaps overhaul their menu, i think they’d see a bump in sales and average ticket size.

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

If you've not been for years to SBs, how can you compare Amazon & them. Do you think their products have been exactly the same since you were last there, months or years?

Actually, yes, I do think it likely the hot latte at Starbucks is pretty much exactly the same as is was a few years ago I enjoyed it for years before I quit trading with them, and during that time it was always the same. That their products are consistent is one of the reasons they are successful.

I've also been enjoying the the Amazon "Extra"  for 5-10 years, and that does not seem to have changed significantly either. 

Is it your position that Starbucks hot latte or Amazon "Extra" has changed significantly? 

And to be clear, I don't think I need to buy product to compare the seating areas. 

2 hours ago, sambum said:

"there is also a dedicated ‘TEAVANA’ tea bar offering up a variety of tea such as  Lychee, Earl Gray Tea and Peach Mojito.

The store also will be the first Starbucks branch in Thailand to serve alcoholic beverages."

I thought Peach Mojito was an alcoholic beverage?

No Typhoo or PG Tips?

Probably same people who think McDonald's is truly a great hamburger.

Seems way overpriced when Amazon or others are 1/3rd.

Charging US prices, paying the employees here peanuts, and procuring much cheaper rent.

And if you order a black coffee they drop it from a large metal container that was probably made several hours prior.

Even 7-11 even makes a fresh grind Americano for I think 25 b.

SB is popular in most places in the world and their marketing is genius, I just do not think it is that good.

Edited by bkk6060

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

So I think it safe to assume no specific examples are forthcoming....

Sample your local coffee shops , establish your own preferences to suit your tastes, not sure where you reside, so it self funded research :) I tend to avoid franchises.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Seems way overpriced when Amazon or others are 1/3rd.

Charging US prices, paying the employees here peanuts, and procuring much cheaper rent.

And if you order a black coffee they drop it from a large metal container that was probably made several hours prior.

Even 7-11 even makes a fresh Americano for I think 25 b.

SB is popular in most places in the world and their marketing is genius, I just do not think it is that good.

The golden araches are popular across the world, as is the fried chicken franchise, does not mean they are good. No accounting sometimes for abuse of tastebuds.

8 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Can they get newspapers to read anymore? The only English language local paper they can get is the one we cannot name on this forum, sorry quote from. Newspapers are dying. 

They stopped when lockdown on dining in came in last year, but resumed after a few months in some places. I guess they suspended it again after the recent spikes in local cases.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 3:36 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Normally I avoid starbugs but sometimes there is just no alternative nearby.

And as usual I order my double espresso.

And then the usual starbugs question: hot or cold?

Who TF drinks cold espresso? That reminds me again to avoid that place.

Here you go, straight from the refrigerated section

OP.eqGplyDmVZpong474C474?w=160&h=220&rs=1&o=5&dpr=1.44&pid=21.1

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

The ones near me do have a seating area so yes you can sit inside and drink or eat

Well, I tried a cappuccino from 7-11 today, and thought it was okay, but not great. I think Amazon, Southern and Babrika are all better. The seven I went to had no seating. 

As far as value, while it was ฿25, it was very small. it was served in an 8oz cup, but it was only about half full of liquid, about 3/4 full to the foam line. So using a (generous) 5oz of product approximation, ฿5/oz. 

Starbucks “vente” is ฿150 for a 20oz cup, which is (as i remember) mostly full, but say 18oz of product, so a little over ฿8/oz, so it costs about 66% more. 

Amazon’s cappuccino is much smaller than Starbucks as well, so they are not really all that much cheaper either.