Electricity supply

seajae

1 hour ago, seajae said:

it is a several years old now so battery may need replacing but the battery replacement light has never come on

I replaced the battery in ours with a LiFePO4 pack, the "Replace Battery" light never goes out :whistling:

I would do a practical test to determine how long it will actually run for just to be sure you don't get caught out.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 10:59 AM, Crossy said:

I replaced the battery in ours with a LiFePO4 pack, the "Replace Battery" light never goes out :whistling:

I would do a practical test to determine how long it will actually run for just to be sure you don't get caught out.

thanks mate, been checking the voltage when it clicks, its dropping to 188 volts and a bit lower, doesnt back up till it drops to 150 volts, battery was placed in it on the 27/9/2016 and is telling me I will have 36 minutes of back up with no power, watching the average voltage it is between 202 and 214 volts

What you're hearing is likely the relays in the voltage regulator section of the UPS adjusting the transformer ratio to keep the output voltage up.

I would still do a practical run time test (pull the plug and run until it shuts down).

Your supply is certainly low, can you try measuring it at the main breaker with no (or minimal) load and then with a decent load (water heater or kettle). The chances of PEA actually being interested ("you have electric, no problem") is low, but should the supply start spending a significant time at the lower limit of the +-10% you have some ammunition "it's been bad for ages".

If the clicking is annoying you could try a variac or ferro-resonant type AVR (they are silent, ok almost silent, in operation) in front of the UPS, or move the UPS to where you can't hear it.