Why Are ASQ Hotels Charging Full Price for Children ?

Jumbo1968

Because they can. Not a satisfying answer but factual, same answer to "Why is the price for a couple so high compared to normal?". There's the added cost of tests, 24/7 medical coverage and 3 meals per day for all guests but that doesn't account for some of the prices.

That said, they certainly aren't all charging adult prices for kids e.g. Movenpick would be 25,000 Bht for your child (126,000 Bht for your whole family in a "50-60 sqm suite room", not sure if a small discount for them being Thai).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

£3000 is way beyond my budget even accounting for all the tests it is extortion. !

Now we are coming to the real point in this thread. That they are charging a price for your whole family that is way beyond your budget. I assume that 3000 pound can be beyond budget for many persons and families. Going from there to that they are bad and over charging you is not right, though. I find them to accomodate almost all price ranges. Of course it will be a higher price then we are used to, because of medical care, tests and hotel food 3 times a day. It´s very wierd how easy it is for a person to call something all from wrong to extorsion, as soon as their budget can not meet up against the prices.

Just to deal with you question: All of them are not charging full adult ASQ price for children.

Edited by Dagfinnur Traustason
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

Seems like he want it to be like an ordinary hotel visit. Rent a room and stay 3. ????

ASQ does hit families in the hip pocket quite severely compared to normal so can certainly emphasise with those cases, not so much with single travellers calling "scam" all the time. Can only assume those that do tend to be the ones previously looking for 400 Bht a night rooms, which was OK pre-covid (we all have our own priorities) but not realistic during a pandemic.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I have been making enquiries for an ASQ Hotel for my self (British)my Thai partner and 5 year old son but everyone apart from a small discount because our son is Thai are charging the same price as for an adult ?

What? Here is just one example:

https://thaiest.com/blog/cheapest-thailand-asq-hotels

If you look at that, you will find special prices for additional person which can be counted as a discount for your child. After that one or two also actually offer discounts for children under certain age groups.

After that you will have this one: https://asq.in.th/cheapest-asq-hotels?gclid=CjwKCAiAsaOBBhA4EiwAo0_AnF0PXp9E4L4xyE3-ZEhvWdsJDGDD9CVGadhtgmECGhMzc03oP8Z7kRoCNhkQAvD_BwE

They offer really low prices. I guess all can´t be fake, right?

46 minutes ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

Get your facts straight. 15% and that was reached yesterday.

No. You need to get your numbers straight.

The stat you are referring to was the 15.09 million people reported as of Friday the 12th of February.

According to the official figures, as reported at Our World in Data, that's 22.93% of the UK population.

The reports are usually 24 hours behind. They continued at full throttle over the weekend. It is now Monday.

Edited by donnacha
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, donnacha said:

No. You need to get your numbers straight.

The stat you are referring to was the 15.09 million people reported as of Friday the 12th of February.

According to the official figures, as reported at Our World in Data, that's 22.93% of the UK population.

The reports are usually 24 hours behind. They continued at full throttle over the weekend. It is now Monday.

Sorry, my bad! You are right. Mixed numbers with percent. Thanks! ????

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Salerno said:

So how much would you expect to pay for a family of three?

Do a comparison which I have done of ASQ hotels without the quarantine and include the meals and there is a huge difference in the cost even allowing for the costs of the tests.

5 hours ago, madmen said:

He is comparing to his last stay at soi buhakao for 500 baht for whole family. Throw in a bit more for meals and nurses. 

Sweet 

I would normally pay £60/70 a night for a hotel, you don’t know me so why make a derogatory comment ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Do a comparison which I have done of ASQ hotels without the quarantine and include the meals and there is a huge difference in the cost even allowing for the costs of the tests.

There are a lot of other additional expenses involved which you have not taken into account, but I agree there is probably a bit of overzealous charging just because they can.

34 minutes ago, treetops said:

There are a lot of other additional expenses involved which you have not taken into account, but I agree there is probably a bit of overzealous charging just because they can.

I agree there is some over zealous charging, correct me if I am wrong, before you paid for the room not per person. Ok if one person 30000 baht but times by 3, 90000 baht and that’s the lower end of the market. I am not a cheap Charlie but the Thais as normal treating foreigners like walking ATMs.

If they want more tourists/visitors make the quarantine cost at an affordable level, all tourists/visitors are not millionaires like the Thais think we are. They see the 2 wheel millionaires throwing money about like confetti and think we are all the same.

14 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I agree there is some over zealous charging, correct me if I am wrong, before you paid for the room not per person. Ok if one person 30000 baht but times by 3, 90000 baht and that’s the lower end of the market. I am not a cheap Charlie but the Thais as normal treating foreigners like walking ATMs.

If they want more tourists/visitors make the quarantine cost at an affordable level, all tourists/visitors are not millionaires like the Thais think we are. They see the 2 wheel millionaires throwing money about like confetti and think we are all the same.

It has to be a 'per person' charge, as it includes 3 meals a day for each person and individual Covid tests.  I was pleasantly surprised that the rate for my 5-year-old was (slightly) less than for his mother. 

The comment 'because they can' is unfortunately true. However, if you really need to reduce the budget there is an alternative - wife and child (i assume Thai) could go to State quarantine for free. However, it is pretty austere and your wife would have to be 100% onboard for this. Also, if doing that, you should pick the cheapest ASQ you can, to share the pain - and maybe buy the wife and child a present out of the savings.

22 minutes ago, rickudon said:

The comment 'because they can' is unfortunately true. However, if you really need to reduce the budget there is an alternative - wife and child (i assume Thai) could go to State quarantine for free. However, it is pretty austere and your wife would have to be 100% onboard for this. Also, if doing that, you should pick the cheapest ASQ you can, to share the pain - and maybe buy the wife and child a present out of the savings.

I thought of that, the desire to return to Thailand is more me, our son is settled here, he is going to school and he says Thailand too hot. My partner accepts the fact that we can’t go back because of quarantine and the financial costs. I think it would be ‘selfish’ of me to expect her to spend 15 days with a very lively 5/6 year old and not knowing what the standard of the State quarantine hotel would be.like just to satisfy my desire to return.

@Jumbo1968

Some hotels offer a discount for second person, some offer a discount for a child. You just need to look around but, no, it won’t be cheap.

Also, if there’s going to be 3 of you for a fortnight you might want to look at adjoining rooms or similar anyway to have the space.

Remember, a significant part of the ASQ price goes to the hospital. Usually somewhere between 16000 and 25000 baht per person out of what you pay. The hotel provides everything else out of what’s left. 

If you want to get back to Thailand this year then there isn’t too much choice. Yes, there’s free State Quarantine for your wife and child but there could be a waiting list and reports vary from it being ok to being downright awful. It’s the luck of the draw where she’d end up.

• Thanks 1