Thailand may INCREASE  quarantine for some travellers

webfact

The case of the South African variant was discovered in quarantine which shows that quarantine is working.  Although there is emerging evidence that the variant displays some resistance to vaccines and spreads more readily, I haven't seen anything that states the infection lasts longer.  Why would extending quarantine make any difference?

The variant is already present in several other countries so with Thailand's 'porous' borders, the South African variant may well arrive in the country before too long - quarantine won't stop that.

They'd be better off spending their time on getting the vaccination programme going.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ukrules said:

They're even quarantining people in hotels in the UK now due to this new African variant, British and Irish people only - if you're not British or Irish, forget about entering the UK from Africa  - it's not happening.

Interesting...

First, we had the dangerous UK mutation, coming from that “terrible” country, which was so impudent to leave the “wonderful” EU with its Brexit.

Now, we have the dangerous Southafrican mutation, coming from a continent, where there’s only light lockdown (South Africa, Kenia) or even no lockdown (Tanzania, Zanzibar, Madagascar).

... by the way, if one would check the viral genome data bases, he would find out:

In the meantime, we have now more than 7000 mutations !

What next, with 7000 mutations?

- The Wales mutation, the Northern Ireland mutation, the Paris mutation, the Canary islands mutation, the Florida mutation, the South Dakota mutation (no lockdown), the North Dakota mutation (lockdown) ???

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Thai nationals are required to take a PCR test with negative result not more than 72 hours before an international flight arriving in Bangkok.... not by the Thai government but by the airlines, including Thai International repatriation flights

My wife flew home to Thailand on a repatriation flight with Thai Airways and I can assure you she was not required to provide a negative Covid 19 test. On repatriation flights only Non Thai nationals have to have a test. Both Thai and Non Thai nationals have to provide the worthless 'Fit to Fly' letter.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, madmitch said:

There's a Brazilian variant which is present in Portugal.

Not sure whether an extra week in quarantine will make any difference.

Sounds like Thailand will still be quarantining when the rest of the (vaccinated) world might start to cautiously open.

Thailand will really have a problem if the Eskimo strain gets in from the North Pole.  Then it's curtains.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BernieOnTour said:

Interesting...

First, we had the dangerous UK mutation, coming from that “terrible” country, which was so impudent to leave the “wonderful” EU with its Brexit.

Now, we have the dangerous Southafrican mutation, coming from a continent, where there’s only light lockdown (South Africa, Kenia) or even no lockdown (Tanzania, Zanzibar, Madagascar).

... by the way, if one would check the viral genome data bases, he would find out:

- The Wales mutation, the Northern Ireland mutation, the Paris mutation, the Canary islands mutation, the Florida mutation, the South Dakota mutation (no lockdown), the North Dakota mutation (lockdown) ???

Hey you missed out the Sukhumvit mutation......  Don't short change the superior beings........ 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

The African variant is a little too different to the other variants and there are questions about the vaccine efficacy but no real evidence yet - it's panic.

They're even quarantining people in hotels in the UK now due to this new African variant, British and Irish people only - if you're not British or Irish, forget about entering the UK from Africa  - it's not happening.

Apparently Portugal is on the list of countries where it's present as well which means it's gained a foothold in mainland Europe.

I think that you are forgetting all the people illegally entering the UK every day. 

I doubt they are going to stay in a quarantine hotel.

7 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

I'm looking at my watch to see how long it will be until they reverse course on this ridiculousness...

They never said it was going to happen.

Much like everything, they put out these stories to see the level of outrage and then reverse course, bonk themselves on the head, and gleefully forget what they even said.  As has been happening this entire pandemic.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Didn't Thailand decline India's offer of 2 million doses of the Astra Zeneca vaccine not long ago?Accepting that offer would have made the process fast by a long shot.

Thailand could not accept a gift from India.

As it would be a loss of face for big brother China.

I think most Thais still believe Covid 19,did not come from there.

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

I would like to but its not available in Thailand to watch

You need to use a VPN or Proxy to watch BBC outside UK

if you use Chrome browser try Browsec or Hola free VPN extensions - one or the other has a always worked for me

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

It's not about tourism at the moment, do you not get that?  No one is expecting tourists to do three weeks quarantine, this is about trying to protect Thailand from the virus.

Maybe Thailand should have thought about that when turning a blind eye to the local illegal immigration of COVID from Burma.  Amazing (corrupt) Thailand 

1 hour ago, Stuart G said:

I am not sure why they keep quoting 14 days?all ASQ hotel packages I have seen are 16 days.

So the 21 days,will more than likely be 23 day packages.

Yup trust me. I spent 16 days/ 15 nights on San Quarantino.  First day is day Zero.  Doesnt count

Edited by Bkktodd
  • Like 1

Not strictly on topic, but from TAT one year ago:-

"Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) cut its estimate for international arrivals to 33 million in 2020, while tourism businesses have been knocked hard by the Covid-19 spreading around the world."

I wonder how many times this figure has been "downsized" and what is the latest estimate, bearing in mind the latest suggestions re INCREASED quarantine for some visitors i.e.:-

"While Dr Apisamai didn’t state exactly which other countries are considered “high risk”, Thai news site Daily News, reported that the more contagious variant is prevalent in many European countries, including the United Kingdom, Belgium and Switzerland and has also been found in Australia and the United States."

(Note: Re the holiday entitlement of US workers - from Google:- "The number of days varies from employer to employer, but on average, US workers receive around 10 days of paid holiday each year. In addition, this holiday time is often accrued, which means that US staff will need to be working in their job for 12 months before they're entitled to 10 days of holiday." Which means that most Americans haven't even got enough holiday entitlement to spend in quarantine as it stands in Thailand, never mind if the requirement is increased!!!! )

• Like 1

I have stopped even paying attention what government spoken say. 

A few months they announced  approval of  a reduction to 10 days, then it is still 14  really 16 days, then vaccinated people will be exempted  from quarantine,   now high risk countries subject to 21 days quarantine.  Next week tourist will be required to hop on one foot and whistle Dixie. 

I think they just like the sound of their own voice and whenever they see a microphone they run to it and make up  sh#t.   

15 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I have stopped even paying attention what government spoken say. 

A few months they announced  approval of  a reduction to 10 days, then it is still 14  really 16 days, then vaccinated people will be exempted  from quarantine,   now high risk countries subject to 21 days quarantine.  Next week tourist will be required to hop on one foot and whistle Dixie. 

I think they just like the sound of their own voice and whenever they see a microphone they run to it and make up  sh#t.   

Don’t mention 10 days the ASQ Hotels won’t like that, less revenue then they will still charge the same as for 15 days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BernieOnTour said:

Interesting...

You may be joking, but the USA news yesterday spoke about 7 new variants found in the USA (for some reason named after birds). 

Anyone who looks at the new daily cases in the UK and South Africa can see a steep decline in countries with the "highly contagious" strains... sort of counter-intuitive that the cases fall, when this variant is sooo dangerous and infectious.

There will always be a variant to justify the next lockdown.  

7 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Each and every expert on this has already been saying for some time this is something that may always be with us, like the flu. Vaccines and protective measures will reduce the threat But it will likely never disappear. It is foolish for anyone to think otherwise

Unfortunately, there are many people and many governments who believe that "zero-covid" is possible through lockdowns etc.  The sooner everyone realizes that the virus will be here forever, the better as it will lead to workable solutions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1