What’s in a name? Tesco Lotus in Thailand rebrands to “Lotus’s” (no, really)

webfact

2 minutes ago, realfunster said:

You’d like to say they are commercial geniuses but I would suggest the colour of their ties reveals a more realistic backdrop.

The branding and explanations for the ‘s just sound dumb. Grammatically inconsistent in presentation and meaning (come on if you are going to try and look sophisticated by using English, at least get it right) and of zero interest to the average Thai consumer, if they can even understand the SMART acronym.

I guess it’s corporate virtue signaling.

At the end of the day, they can brand whatever the hell they like, after all they pretty much have a monopoly now. The decision to allow this takeover for an already dominant conglomerate was disgraceful.

Anyhow, are the convenience stores going to be renamed Lotus’s Express’s ?

If I was presented this for one of my companies I would laugh and leave the room.

I'm actually embarrassed for them.

And you are right, the ties tell you everything you need to know.

Completely out of touch with reality.

• Confused 1

Just now, PGSan said:

Just kidding! ‘avin’  a luff an’ all that!  LoL.

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

So the Oxford English Dictionary must be wrong.

Not checked the ‘big un’ but I expect it lists the usage ‘spellt’ too.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Smart? Not smart at all.

Thais can't pronounce the s at the end of the word anyway. So whether it is Lotus or Lotus's, it 's still pronounced as Lotut.

Might as well rebrand it to Lotut to make the spelling the same as the pronunciation.

Thais have problems with final sounds. House is hou (how) and horse is ..........?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

SPELT is the English past participle of to SPELL. Americans use SPELLED.

Why are you shouting I used a smiley? 

Unless one is 100 percent non English speaking Thai  hard to gauge the impact of such branding who are the majority of Lotus's purchasing base. I was surprised ALDI rolled out stores in the US under that brand. I would never think to shop there as I imagine a barren shop in the former Soviet Union, fully stocked with canned whale meat. 50 people in line, one salami hanging in an empty butcher case.

To me Lotus's sounds more appealing than Tesco Lotus but I'll forget the local branding experts and leave the final judgement  to the priggish English schoolmarms of thai visa forum. ????

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1

Ah the 's' stands for smart. This is a cunning ploy to employ the many thousand of business / marketing / econ grads that have no job. You need a degree now to work on Lotus. Quite brillant really. Thousand of graduates working for megre wages and CP exploit it by advertising it!! Genius. 

I hope however, that these stores stock brands that are not the usually branded junk that you find in most supermarkets. Giving consuers a wider choice of products would be the smartest decison ever.....but I think we all know how that hope will end up. 

Honestly, is a better quality of food and products that hard to stock? 

12 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

A hort is a hort of cort of cort!

And noone can talk to a hort of cort!

Sorry. Hort and cort have final sounds. Fail. Remove final sound from hort as you would for horse and you get .....?

Edited by dinsdale

.....and so  after the committee was formed...ideas were discussed....som tum so spicey eaten, even Nois grandma heard about it.....documents filed away in dusty cabinets.......afternoon naps taken.......another meeting called where someone forgot the 'bubble tea' ........some more discussions about how spicey that som tum was.....the decision was FINALLY MADE!!!

Lets call it "Lotus's' ...........

And from that moment on, Thai people forevermore referred everyone's favorite supermarket as....... as "LOTUDUD"

35 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I would never think to shop there as I imagine a barren shop in the former Soviet Union, fully stocked with canned whale meat.

Why would the four letters A L D I  conjure up such images for anyone?  Or even for an An American? 

Edited by PGSan
  • Like 1