What’s in a name? Tesco Lotus in Thailand rebrands to “Lotus’s” (no, really)

webfact

48 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Who cares what they call the new  supermarket LOTUS's

I will still shop this Thursday have some good deals there daily 

yes... and there's always a guaranteed good supply of Mekhong on the shelves ???? 

A lack of imagination, surely the management consultants they paid millions to could have come up with something better? Big Lotus, say, or Lotus-11, or Seven-Lo. I expect there'll be some sort of store motto as well, along the lines of, "No more dirty farang store owner", or "Now we own everything, forget about discounts you peasants. "

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

And most folk in UK say they are going to Tesco'S anyway. But Lotus'S looks and sounds daft, to me.

Please explain what Nazis have to do with a person correcting someone else's grammar please.

Grammar/spelling Nazis are not like real Nazis with concentration camps. 

They are similar to the little man who comes out with a ruler to check the length of grass mown outside council house. A purposeless waste of human effort.

10 hours ago, KannikaP said:

So why not call it LO*TU*S@ BS?    It was the incorrect English I was referring to. Would it be OK if they changed the city to PATAYYA'S ?

You can't trademark a common word.   Lotus would not be trademarkable.  It's why so many businesses have stupid spellings because it becomes claimable and they can trademark it.  But you just think it is Thais with dodgy grammar, of course, the CP group really have no-one to look at that.  Yeah, idiot Thais, not as clever as us.

The local Lotus was closed 2-3 weeks up in NE small town. Didn’t notice any changes in the atmosphere but they’ve added a couple more import items..

a couple compared to a very few prio... 

Geez it’s easy to get excited.. Gerkins ( not sweet pickle fan), black olives,

capers, 4 type of soups vs 1...  it’s a good thing

11 hours ago, KannikaP said:

So why not call it LO*TU*S@ BS?    It was the incorrect English I was referring to. Would it be OK if they changed the city to PATAYYA'S ?

Pattaya is currently rebranding... and inviting suggestions..

Pattayoni's??

20 hours ago, Thailand said:

I' gues's the'y wil'l b'e sellin'g egg's, meat's,  vegetable's etc's! 

Se'e ho'w smar't I' a'm! 

We may laugh at them, but it is amazing the number of TVF posters who refer to Thais as "Thai's".

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

It doesn't matter, ask a Thai to pronounce Bumrungrad ..............LOL

Ask a Farang to pronounce it, and it’ll be even more LOL

18 hours ago, Mike Rodik said:

10$ billion sale, but cannot use google translate

18 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Google Translate strikes again!

What role do you think did Google translate play in this or should have played in this? “Alexa, give me a new store brand that is approved by the TVF folks”? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hong Kong has "Wellcome" supermarkets and that spelling has annoyed me forever, especially since English is an official language there. But you can always count on the Thais to badly mangle something so simple, even worse than the Chinese.

I love how people nowadays think of an acronym - in this case "smart" - and then scratch around for the words to fitthe letters, ending up with a hodge-podge of adjectives, with the odd verb and noun thrown in for good measure. "T for Transformative and Sustainability" is very memorable. Perhaps they should have used "Smarts", or maybe "Smart's", or even "Smartass".

• Haha 1

I'm sure some ad agency got paid handsomely for this little exercise. But it doesn't really matter to the average Thai

They never used the word Tesco anyway, it was only "Lowtuss"

They can't read the word either so the idea that the rather bizarre spelling makes any impact is ludicrous

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

They can't read the word either

Forum rule #11:  You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards ... Thai people or any other group.

Please don't be a vile, racist ignorant bigot - at least in public.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

There have been so many times that a Thai executive has insisted on using bad grammar because he has a degree from the United States. They just won't listen. Later, when they get embarrassed by people laughing they quietly change it without a word.