What’s in a name? Tesco Lotus in Thailand rebrands to “Lotus’s” (no, really)

webfact

Smart? Not smart at all.

Thais can't pronounce the s at the end of the word anyway. So whether it is Lotus or Lotus's, it 's still pronounced as Lotut.

Might as well rebrand it to Lotut to make the spelling the same as the pronunciation.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Do they ever consult a proper English speaker when thinking up these logos? Answer....NO!

What is wrong with the new logo that "a proper English speaker" should have a problem with?   "Lotus's" correctly refers to an outlet belonging to Lotus.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So why not call it LO*TU*S@ BS?    It was the incorrect English I was referring to. Would it be OK if they changed the city to PATAYYA'S ?

City names are totally different from logos.  But there is no standard transliteration into roman letters so yes POTATOYYA’’S is fine too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

A grand decision to put a totally incorrectly spelt logo, and then have to tell everyone that the last S means smart. Not very smart in my opinion. 

I don't think  it is supposed to be spelled correctly (spelt is a wheat like grain eaten by hipsters????)

instead a more expansive concept driven by marketing "experts" 99 percent  wont bother pondering. I find it appealing. Thais will just now call it  Ro-tas instead of dtetKo-Ro-tas and keep on shopping. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Matreusse said:

a proper English speaker

I am exceedingly proper (in most ways) and I speak — but I claim nothing about either the standard or propriety of my spoken English.  

But I know enough written English to be able to state categorically that “proper English speaker” is not the proper (i.e. it is not the correct) phrase with which to describe someone whose standard of English speaking is impeccable. 

6 minutes ago, PGSan said:

It is true that this is perfectly correct English orthography as is the alternate “ Lotus’ ”.

Could this lead to a debate on the correct use of the apostrophe to show possession - both in the singular or plural! 

"Bon Oeuf" as a Frenchman might say. It warms the heart; could we widen the discussion to include and encourage the correct use of the semi-colon and perhaps even the ellipsis...

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Is the plural of Lotus not Loti?   LOL

okay well I went and checked up on my surmising, and

it comes up there is a choice for either!!

Wiki:

"lotuses or loti"

th?id=OIP.bxGCYssh0qpb3vVY4A3YewHaE8&w=120&h=120&c=8&rs=1&qlt=80&pid=3.1

Image: wiktionary.org 
lotuses or loti
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I don't think  it is supposed to be spelled correctly (spelt is a wheat like grain eaten by hipsters????)

instead a more expansive concept driven by marketing "experts" 99 percent  wont bother pondering. I find it appealing. Thais will just now call it  Ro-tas instead of dtetKo-Ro-tas and keep on shopping. 

SPELT is the English past participle of to SPELL. Americans use SPELLED.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

To be fair, many businesses in England have equally distressed branding!

Well blimey, if I was sat inside and you was stood outside, would it matter if it was Lotus or Lotus's? :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1