Income affidavit alternative (40k/month certification) for marriage visa for Americans?

I have 2M baht tied up in Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. I have about 450k tied up in stocks. I do not want to take either out for 2 reasons: 1) it would trigger taxes 2) I'm in really great positions, especially with cryptocurrencies, as they are increasing in value. I will lose out massively if I have to park my money in a Thai bank for 2 months for the 400k qualification... 

That said, I don't have a full time job right now. I'm mostly day trading and making about 70-120k per month, but I'm only taking out what I need, which is probably only about 30k. My gf also makes good money, and we are not big spenders, so this seems to be ok for us... except that, the US embassy doesn't do income affidavits anymore.

So what are my alternatives? I've searched but I am confused by what I've read so far. My current visa ends near the middle of March (a little more than a month from now). 

Are you 50+ years of age? 

Forget all your comments re what you have in stocks or shares or whatever. Not relevant.

How did you last enter Thailand and when.

Meaning visa exempt, tourist visa etc. Thinking when you say current visa, you mean current permission of stay (extension)

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, bkk7 said:

I have 2M baht tied up in Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. I have about 450k tied up in stocks. I do not want to take either out for 2 reasons: 1) it would trigger taxes 2) I'm in really great positions, especially with cryptocurrencies, as they are increasing in value. I will lose out massively if I have to park my money in a Thai bank for 2 months for the 400k qualification... 

That said, I don't have a full time job right now. I'm mostly day trading and making about 70-120k per month, but I'm only taking out what I need, which is probably only about 30k. My gf also makes good money, and we are not big spenders, so this seems to be ok for us... except that, the US embassy doesn't do income affidavits anymore.

So what are my alternatives? I've searched but I am confused by what I've read so far. My current visa ends near the middle of March (a little more than a month from now). 

Buy an elite visa

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The only way to prove your 40k baht income not is proof of it being transferred into a Thai bank in your name only. Most offices will want 12 months of transfers even though the rules have an example of 2 months being allowed for the first extension. If accepted immigration will also want proof of the source of your income.

If you can move in the 400k baht into a Thai bank that might be your only option.

You can apply for 60 day covid 19 extension at immigration.

What type of visa did you use to enter the country that allowed the permit to stay you have now?

9 hours ago, bkk7 said:

A Visa, obtained from a Thai Embassy, or a 1 year extension of stay obtained from your local Immigration office.

If your legally married, either;

a). 400K deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to your extension application, or.

b) 2 x 40K monthly overseas transfers for a very first extension application, 12 x monthly transfers for subsequent extensions.

If your not legally married you need to apply based on retirement.

a).800 K deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to your very first extension application. For subsequent extensions the 800K must be maintained in the bank for 3 months after the last extension, then 400K maintained for 7 months, then topped up to 800K again for 2 months prior to the application date.

b) 2 x 65K monthly overseas transfers for a very first extension application, 12 x monthly transfers for subsequent extensions.

c). A combination of funds in a Thai bank plus 12 x monthly overseas transfers totalling 800K for the year.

If your existing permission of stay expires the middle of march, your already probably to late to meet any of the above requirements.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Agent-let them deal with  immigration. When I first moved to  Thailand my first  extension  was via an agent and  since then Ive done it myself  with the  help of my wife. 

The OP, has not contributed after his OP.

In that post he refers to gf (girlfriend). It's difficult to even guess what he is on.... literally.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Are you 50+ years of age? 

Forget all your comments re what you have in stocks or shares or whatever. Not relevant.

How did you last enter Thailand and when.

Meaning visa exempt, tourist visa etc. Thinking when you say current visa, you mean current permission of stay (extension)

40. Last entered Thailand last March. Currently on SMART visa, but it ends in a month. 

15 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Buy an elite visa

That makes no sense. If I don't want to park 400k in a Thai bank account for 2 months, why would I want to spend 600k that I would never get back when I'm getting married?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The only way to prove your 40k baht income not is proof of it being transferred into a Thai bank in your name only. Most offices will want 12 months of transfers even though the rules have an example of 2 months being allowed for the first extension. If accepted immigration will also want proof of the source of your income.

If you can move in the 400k baht into a Thai bank that might be your only option.

You can apply for 60 day covid 19 extension at immigration.

What type of visa did you use to enter the country that allowed the permit to stay you have now?

I was on a visa exempt after my last job ended. Then switched to SMART. SMART visa ends in a month. 

I haven't had regular transfers of 40k baht into my bank account every month, but I've kept a balance of higher than 40k for the most part. And I currently have the equivalent of ~100k baht in my Thailand-based cryptocurrency account. So my average balance is relatively high, I would say.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP your topic heading refers to marriage. Then in your post you refer to gf.

Is your partner your gf or wife?

Currently my girlfriend. But we're planning to get married, which is why I am seeking a marriage visa.

9 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

A Visa, obtained from a Thai Embassy, or a 1 year extension of stay obtained from your local Immigration office.

If your legally married, either;

a). 400K deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to your extension application, or.

b) 2 x 40K monthly overseas transfers for a very first extension application, 12 x monthly transfers for subsequent extensions.

If your not legally married you need to apply based on retirement.

a).800 K deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to your very first extension application. For subsequent extensions the 800K must be maintained in the bank for 3 months after the last extension, then 400K maintained for 7 months, then topped up to 800K again for 2 months prior to the application date.

b) 2 x 65K monthly overseas transfers for a very first extension application, 12 x monthly transfers for subsequent extensions.

c). A combination of funds in a Thai bank plus 12 x monthly overseas transfers totalling 800K for the year.

If your existing permission of stay expires the middle of march, your already probably to late to meet any of the above requirements.

Not retired yet. I'm only 40.

Over the last year, I've probably had 10 to 40k transferred to my Thai bank account about 6/12 months. Once, I transferred 150k to myself from a foreign bank account. That was about a month ago, I guess. 

I have ~100k in my Thai cryptocurrency account. So I could transfer part of that for the next 2 months, but that's not from overseas.

32 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Agent-let them deal with  immigration. When I first moved to  Thailand my first  extension  was via an agent and  since then Ive done it myself  with the  help of my wife. 

What do you mean by first extension? I don't have the marriage visa yet because I am on a SMART visa that is about to end. Is first extension the same thing as first visa?

How can an agent help?

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP, has not contributed after his OP.

In that post he refers to gf (girlfriend). It's difficult to even guess what he is on.... literally.

I am on a SMART visa. She's my girlfriend but we're getting married. So the idea is to switch to a marriage visa.

2 minutes ago, bkk7 said:

Not retired yet. I'm only 40.

Over the last year, I've probably had 10 to 40k transferred to my Thai bank account about 6/12 months. Once, I transferred 150k to myself from a foreign bank account. That was about a month ago, I guess. 

I have ~100k in my Thai cryptocurrency account. So I could transfer part of that for the next 2 months, but that's not from overseas.

Then you can't apply for a visa or extension of stay based on retirement,

You must be 50+.

7 minutes ago, PGSan said:

You already have a visa so you will not be getting your ‘first visa’.  

Smart Visa is I'm a Migrant Visa, you need a Non Immigrant type (O) to apply for an extension based on marriage. Maybe @ubonjoe can throw his expertise on the topic.

6 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Smart Visa is I'm a Migrant Visa, you need a Non Immigrant type (O) to apply for an extension based on marriage. Maybe @ubonjoe can throw his expertise on the topic.

I don't know much about the smart visa. But I am sure it cannot be changed to a non-o visa.

Only the office that handles them can answer that question. I suspect a person would have to leave the country and re-enter with a non-o visa.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PGSan said:

Maybe the BOI can explain to you the various possible methods and requirements to convert from their visa to a non-immigrant visa based on marriage.  

You can't change a Visa type in Thailand, only the reason of your permission of stay.

I don't think you can apply for an extension based on marriage from a SMART Visa either.

If anyone knows it will be@ubonjoe

Messages posted together, great minds think alike. lol.

Edited by Tanoshi

5 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

No such Visa. Try a Non O based on marriage.

You have to get married first.

Sorry, I didn't know what the name of the visa is. Yes, a non-O based on marriage. We were planning to get married at the end of this year, but we decided we would do it earlier if it will allow me to get a visa. 

5 hours ago, PGSan said:

No, they have somewhat different  requirements.  

You already have a visa so you will not be getting your ‘first visa’.  

Yes, but it would not be an extension to my SMART visa because the non-O is a different visa. So I would be getting a non-O based on marriage rather than an extension to a non-O.

I am trying to use the correct language as I noticed in my post and replies I wasn't quite up on the lingo. So I would need to determine how I can meet the requirements for getting a non-O based on marriage while in the country already on a SMART visa.

5 hours ago, PGSan said:

Maybe the BOI can explain to you the various possible methods and requirements to convert from their visa to a non-immigrant visa based on marriage.  

BOI basically said they don't deal with any other visas that are not BOI. I would have to take it up with regular immigration and they cannot advise.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't know much about the smart visa. But I am sure it cannot be changed to a non-o visa.

Only the office that handles them can answer that question. I suspect a person would have to leave the country and re-enter with a non-o visa.

Why are you sure it cannot be changed to a non-O? can a SMART visa be changed to anything? for example, covid-extension? and then to a non-O? or to a tourist visa?