Anybody aware of what the big boats away from Jomtien beach are doing ?

domdom

Good morning

For I think over one month 2 big boats are opposite the end of Jomtien Beach .. Some white pipes are floating outside those boats now for more than 2 weeks

Anybody knows what they are doing and what this pipes are for ?

Last week end similar pipes where put into the water at the end of Soi 8 Najomtien and a lot of similar pipes were lying there to be used..

Have a good day

Where is the "end of Jomtien Beach" and how far offshore are these big boats? White pipes floating could be booms to trap surface contaminants or they could be dredging hoses. However, I recall that the existing sewage outfall is somewhere around Soi 8 (which is far from either end of the beach) so they could be just making sure the sh*t is dumped further out of sight (unless you have a high-floor condo with an ocean view)?

Saw them there a couple weeks ago. My first thought was one of them was either a dredge or a drill boat. Little far offshore and out of the way to be a dredge though.

I haven't heard of a new pier/causeway/breakwater being built (not that I would be informed of such anyways but surely such a thing would have been in the news) so they probably aren't drilling/installing foundations for such.
And it's not an oil drilling ship or a cable layer either.

A friend thought the drill/dredge boat (ship) was a trawler but it's been stationary for weeks and I couldn't see any indication of any fishing activity (for the few hours I was there casually observing the ships).

Plus it doesn't really look like a trawler. If anything it looks more like a support ship for submersibles (manned or remote).

I didn't take pics of the ship (too far away) but to me it resembled the ships below, mainly with the hoist on the stern. (Submersible Support Ships apparently come in as many variants as 2 door hatchback cars do.)

constructionsupportvessel-16-wiki-19071.jpg.0b73df9fd74688457aaf0867d418edd4.jpg      yysw243945.jpg.16b9dabed1ec21aa6be44987cfdb3a74.jpg

The other ship could be a support ship though a support ship rarely needs another support ship to support itself.

As to what they may be doing there, who knows ? The pipes maybe a "don't run your jetski/power boat in this area where we are conducting operations" kind of boom ?

(I have no idea. I couldn't see any pipes from where we were on the beach by where Soi Chaiyapruek meets Jomtien Soi 1 aka Beach Road.)

The boats are roughly due West of Cartoon Network Amazone Water park and North of that "National Forest" at the far end of the Bang Saray beach.

Just now, PatOngo said:

Chinese spies or shrimp thieves???

I doubt the Chinese need spies to learn anything they'd want to know about Thailand and there's probably not enough shrimp on the whole East side of the Gulf for a ship that large ! (Plus they'd probably have to move around a bit as a ship that size would strip mine all marine life in that area in a day.)

They are located roughly in front of the blue crab fish restaurant at the end of Jomtien (limit Najomtien)

One of them has moved today and is now perpendicular to the beach..

Pipes seem to be floating close to the boats..

Yes I wondered if it had something to do withe the "beach nourishing"..

Have a good day