UK government broke the law by failing to disclose PPE contracts, court rules

rooster59

1 minute ago, Sujo said:

Its also funny how in thailand they.get away with it.

In UK the court finds them guilty.

Go figure.

Yup.  The perpetrators will be punished severely and will never do it again. ???? /s

Are the visas easier to get in cloud cuckoo land than in Thailand? ????

29 minutes ago, Sujo said:

A judge does not decide on whether a law is reasonable. They decide on the law.

A jury decides reasonable, as in reasonable doubt.

A judge has no option but to rule on law. At sentencing they can consider circumstances. But that is a different issue.

To put it bluntly. A judge rules on law. A jury rules on facts.

A jury rules on the evidence presented to them which sadly is not always the facts.

Hence the high profile examples of people being wrongly convicted. 

23 hours ago, stevenl said:

This is about the government's refusal to disclose, after the fact,, where they bought and why.

I believe they missed a reporting deadline by about a week, nothing about hiding anything...how do you think they managed to take action?

If they wanted to cover it up then nobody would ever know.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I believe they missed a reporting deadline by about a week, nothing about hiding anything...how do you think they managed to take action?

If they wanted to cover it up then nobody would ever know.

Surely the party of law and order which the Conservatives proclaim themselves to be, would never engage in such activities as giving tax payers cash to cronies and friends?

Without doubt such an indomitable institution such as the Conservative and unionist party would never hive out tax payers cash to line the pockets of people who are indeed funders of the afore mentioned Conservative and unionists party.

Surely if another country such as Germany were to offer its track and trace software free to the UK then in no circumstances would 22 million pounds be spaffed up the wall developing our own system which still does not work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sujo said:

A judge does not decide on whether a law is reasonable. They decide on the law.

A jury decides reasonable, as in reasonable doubt.

A judge has no option but to rule on law. At sentencing they can consider circumstances. But that is a different issue.

To put it bluntly. A judge rules on law. A jury rules on facts.

Well done. ????

On 2/20/2021 at 9:18 AM, 4MyEgo said:

This goes on in every government, we only hear about things like this when pressure is applied or someone gets caught with their finger in the cookie jar, and when you weigh up the jail time, well it can work out to 2 million pounds a year for sitting in a cell, eating crappy food and bending over for some, now for 2 million pounds a year x 5 years, would be tempting for some, I suppose they could call it early retirement ????

Good thing you're not invoking empty generalizations to mitigate the offense.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Yup.  The perpetrators will be punished severely and will never do it again. ???? /s

Are the visas easier to get in cloud cuckoo land than in Thailand? ????

where did i mention punishment? 

8 hours ago, Sujo said:

where did i mention punishment? 

Where did I say you did?

Without some sort of consequence, pointing out that a court found them guilty while the same doesn't happen in Thailand is meaningless, particularly as a rebuttal to what I had originally written.

On 2/20/2021 at 2:54 PM, ukrules said:

Unlike the EU they took direct and immediate action instead of waiting for committee meetings.

Maybe it cost a bit more, who cares, they got what they needed.

No good deed goes unpunished so here we have a hard left winger government hating 'Jolyon Maugham' doing what he does best - hating government.

I note that this guy was booted out of his chambers where he's a barrister due to being such an embarrassment and an ongoing boycott against them due to him. The guy is a cancer.

Yes yes we get that you are a hater of lefties and this guy Maugham in particular but what have you to say on the proven corruption of Johnson's cabinet in handing out contracts worth billions to their right wing cronies and doners to the Tory party. These cronies and doners having no expertise in procurement, production or delivery of PPE is worrying to say the least.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1