Jomtien or Phuket?

dsmiththailand

19 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

about 20 miles outside of Chiang Mai - in the countryside, and a much more Thai environment... I came to Thailand to live w/Thai people in Thailand, but nice to have the Western influence not too far away... and I can fly to the beach whenever i want... just waiting for my wings to grow in...

Agreed!  But a very unhealthy environment for a good part of the year. If not for the burning, that's where I'd live.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. The insane nuts were the entertainment I went to see.

Great fun in the morning seeing still drunk young guys going into the bushes with one of the many katoeys touting for business, and 5 minutes later the katoey running away with the guy far behind.

Did that when I was young and stupid. No fun now. Especially when you get up early to walk on the beach and people are peeing on palm trees. Or puking. Or passed out. Not to mention having to listen to loud music till the wee hours.

Thong nai pan rotates nightly parties all week. Impossible to escape the noise. Or the Longtail during the day.

25 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Did that when I was young and stupid. No fun now. Especially when you get up early to walk on the beach and people are peeing on palm trees. Or puking. Or passed out. Not to mention having to listen to loud music till the wee hours.

Thong nai pan rotates nightly parties all week. Impossible to escape the noise. Or the Longtail during the day.

I left Thong Nai Pan Yai because of a solitary party bar playing excessively loud music to the point I couldn't sleep. I went to look and one customer and a dog. I complained to the resort manager and she gave me the Thai shrug, so I left. Bought the Phangan to Bkk bus ticket from resort for first class bus. Got to the port where I got on the bus and it was anything but first class. Never went back to TNP.

Unmuffled longtails are the curse of Thai beaches. I only stayed at those without this century. Last century they were not a significant problem. The worst island I went to for them was east side of Phi Phi. Railay West was pretty bad as well.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Agreed!  But a very unhealthy environment for a good part of the year. If not for the burning, that's where I'd live.

I know it is not healthy, but for me, it doesn't really bother me much. I am not sensitive to it, others are... and also, people tend to exaggerate the length and severity... others just go away for a while... and other places are susceptible and have "dirty" days too...

It is not for a good part of the year...

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I left Thong Nai Pan Yai because of a solitary party bar playing excessively loud music to the point I couldn't sleep. I went to look and one customer and a dog. I complained to the resort manager and she gave me the Thai shrug, so I left. Bought the Phangan to Bkk bus ticket from resort for first class bus. Got to the port where I got on the bus and it was anything but first class. Never went back to TNP.

Unmuffled longtails are the curse of Thai beaches. I only stayed at those without this century. Last century they were not a significant problem. The worst island I went to for them was east side of Phi Phi. Railay West was pretty bad as well.

OMG! You had the exact same experience as us! But the bar was part of our resort. We paid extra to have a room on the beach. Which was next to the bar.  Went out at 4am to ask them to turn it down. There was one super stoned Thai guy running the music. He couldn't talk. We checked out early, left, and never went back. Until a few months ago. It's quite nice now. Same with Samui and Phuket.  555

I first started coming here in 2002. Would have loved to see this place back in the 80s or 90s.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In LOS IMO renting is the only sane policy. No one knows when an all night karaoke place/ or similar will open next door. I've seen so many posters on TVF complaining that their previous perfect life had been ruined and they couldn't move because no one was going to buy their place.

I think you must be careful where you buy.. I like living away and the likelihood of a karaoke opening near me is near zil...

It's life, there are always risks... and burning season tends to get highly exaggerated and personally, it does not effect me much... 

4 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I know it is not healthy, but for me, it doesn't really bother me much. I am not sensitive to it, others are... and also, people tend to exaggerate the length and severity... others just go away for a while... and other places are susceptible and have "dirty" days too...

It is not for a good part of the year...

Yeah, it's bad all over Thailand. Just experienced it this week here in krabi. So bad our eyes were burning. We left Jomtien a few weeks ago to escape the bad air! 555

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

OMG! You had the exact same experience as us! But the bar was part of our resort. We paid extra to have a room on the beach. Which was next to the bar.  Went out at 4am to ask them to turn it down. There was one super stoned Thai guy running the music. He couldn't talk. We checked out early, left, and never went back. Until a few months ago. It's quite nice now. Same with Samui and Phuket.  555

I first started coming here in 2002. Would have loved to see this place back in the 80s or 90s.

For me the bar was just a shack on the beach itself. Right in the middle but the sound carried like it was next door.

That was not a good holiday for me. I knew it wasn't going to be good when my temporary GF asked me to explain what another farang wrote when he said he would not send her any money, and went downhill from there. As she came from Pattaya I was stuck with her for the duration, unfortunately.

Luckily most of my holidays were fantastic, but with different GFs, and not on TNPY.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, eyup said:

Kamala beach would be my pick .Great beach, lots of restaurants and bars. Very active community of retired people. Can pick up a very nice apartment/house  for 15-20000 baht a month.

I visited there to see the Fantasea show. Can't say I was overly impressed with the beach itself.

On 2/21/2021 at 8:48 AM, dsmiththailand said:

3000USD. looking for an house as two dogs will be adopted.

Rather than Jomtien, if I was you I would look at the so called "Darkside" (other side of the Sukumvidt) in East Pattaya. Rental houses are a plenty in the soi 87/89 area. You can be in Jomtien and pattaya in less than 10 - 15 minutes.

• Like 2

OP, its an odd comparison you are making, the whole island (province) of Phuket verses one beach in another part of Thailand.

You will probably get more accurate recommendations comparing apples with apples, eg: Kamala beach with Jomtien beach etc.

I have lived in both places and although I always planned on Phuket, I have ended up in Jomtien as I met my now wife when visiting, her family ties etc.

Jomtien is defiantly cheaper. Otherwise I couldnt name any vast differences. 

Maybe put forward a few of your lifestye preference and people can advise. Do you want expat community, shopping malls, golf, transportation etc

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, jimn said:

Rather than Jomtien, if I was you I would look at the so called "Darkside" (other side of the Sukumvidt) in East Pattaya. Rental houses are a plenty in the soi 87/89 area. You can be in Jomtien and pattaya in less than 10 - 15 minutes.

I find that the roads on the dark side can be a real mess. And when busy, a REAL mess. 5555

Down south of Jomtien, there are some nice places. Close to the beach. Easy access to Sukhumvit and the new highway. Our beaches were never really closed. Which was quite nice last year.

12 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I find that the roads on the dark side can be a real mess. And when busy, a REAL mess. 5555

Down south of Jomtien, there are some nice places. Close to the beach. Easy access to Sukhumvit and the new highway. Our beaches were never really closed. Which was quite nice last year.

Forgive me but darkside or Phuket? ????

I have a condo in Jomtien. One big advantage, that is if easy international travel is ever again possible, is that I only have to cross the road to get a 130 baht bus to Suvanaphumi airport in under 2 hours. Even though it’s in the main part of Jomtien, my condo’s also way quieter than my place in the small Australian town I’m stuck in at the moment.

Phuket’s much closer to spectacular scenery and beaches, of course. Water quality of Jomtien beach isn’t nearly as bad as some say in this forum, but it’s not a proper tropical beach with turquoise water. For that you have to catch the ferry from Pattaya to Koh Larn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

Yes thats why I said soi's 87/89. The busy soi's are Country Club, ETC These soi's are no problem at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimn said:

Yes thats why I said soi's 87/89. The busy soi's are Country Club, ETC These soi's are no problem at all.

Well put! I hate SSCC, Khao noi, Khao talk. Even Suk  through central Pattaya sucked most of the times.  5555

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, scoupeo said:

Phuket is just behind Irak and Afghanistan in my list, and I still can't understand how people even think about it for vacation...

Jomtien or anywhere around Pattaya is of course better and cheaper.

I'm on Kamala Beach right now. Beyond stunning.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, scoupeo said:

Phuket is just behind Irak and Afghanistan in my list, and I still can't understand how people even think about it for vacation...

Jomtien or anywhere around Pattaya is of course better and cheaper.

Have to say I love it when I read all the negative <deleted> about Phuket. The fewer moving here the better for me. So yeah, behind Iraq and Afghanistan. A close third. Don’t even consider moving here. 

• Haha 1