Daft Punk were the most influential pop musicians of the 21st century

snoop1130

Daft Punk were the most influential pop musicians of the 21st century

4896.jpg

Always a step ahead ... Daft Punk in 2013. Photograph: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP

It’s hard to think of an act who had a greater impact on the way 21st-century pop music sounds than Daft Punk. The style Thomas Bangalter and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo minted on their 1997 debut album Homework – house music heavy on the filter effect, which involved the bass or treble on the track gradually fading in and out, mimicking a DJ playing with the equalisation on a mixer; drums treated with sidechain compression, so that the beats appeared to punch through the sound, causing everything else on the track to momentarily recede – is now part of pop’s lingua franca.

In fact, no sooner had Homework come out than other artists started to copy it. Within a couple of years, Madonna had hooked up with another French dance producer, Mirwais, employed to add a distinctly Daft Punk-ish sheen to her 2000 album Music, and the charts were playing host to a succession of soundalike house tracks – 2 People by Jean Jacques Smoothie, who turned out to be a bloke from Gloucester called Steve; Phats and Small’s ubiquitous Turn Around; and No 1 singles, Modjo’s Lady and Eric Prydz’s Call on Me among them.

Full Story: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/feb/23/daft-punk-were-the-most-influential-pop-musicians-of-the-21st-century

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Many might not have , but those in the music industry , have and have been influenced by.

Even though they’re not something I listen to, they’re also well known in audiophile communities with ‘Random Access Memories’ making multiple lists of best recorded albums of all time.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, sirineou said:
1 hour ago, fangless said:

+1

Many might not have , but those in the music industry , have and have been influenced by.

As have anyone with a finger on the pulse of life outside of an upcountry village... 

The probability is that those who don’t know they have heard anything by Daft Punk actually have, liked it, but just didn’t know who it was... 

Of course, isn’t it cool though to stand out from the crowd and when something is mentioned or reported on as being the most popular, influential etc.... to say... I don’t know who they are highlight your independence from mainstream ‘anything’... :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Daft Punk's soundtracks for the remake of Tron are absolutely amazing. 

they are huge. 

Huge in the context of their contributions and influence on music, perhaps. Outside of that, their effect towards improving the world in general, is perhaps, not huge.

• Like 1

No question they were hugely influential. But, only for fans of electronica, which I am big time, though it is not today, what is was during it's golden age of 1994 to 2003. But, I was never a big fan of house, much less "French touch", and their music left me feeling very little to nothing. But, they were very talented, and very creative. Defining what pop means is hard enough. And most would not consider these guys to fall into that incredibly broad genre. Electronica yes. Pop? I do not think so.

I would argue DJ Shadow, DJ Krush, Eddie Vedder, Damon Albarn (Blur and Gorillaz), Dave Grohl, Trent Reznor, Thom Yorke, Drake, Bruno Mars, Jack White, Lady Gaga, and Beyonce, have been very influential too. There are a number of others I do not care to mention. LOL.

Also, I was not particularly impressed with their robot look. I considered it to be a very successful marketing stunt, and fairly goofy, at that. 

210222154339-daft-punk-exlarge-169.jpg

22daftpunk-facebookJumbo.jpg

daft_punk_dj_hero.0.jpg

Edited by spidermike007

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Of course, isn’t it cool though to stand out from the crowd and when something is mentioned or reported on as being the most popular, influential etc.... to say... I don’t know who they are highlight your independence from mainstream ‘anything’... :whistling:

When I was young I listened to music on the radio all day long. And when I heard the name of the artist and title which I liked then maybe I bought the CD or, some time before that, I used my cassette recorder to record that song. So basically I knew all the names of the songs which I liked.

Later in my life, especially in Bangkok in the last 25 years, I mostly only listen to music. Often in pubs and bars. I still remember the names of the artist and songs when they play oldies. But for a lot of modern music (like the last 20 years) I don't know the artists and title names. Simply because I never had a reason to learn the names and remember them.

I am aware of Daft Punk and Get Lucky because I really like that song and probably some time I asked the DJ what is playing. But that is the exception of the rule.

And somehow I don't think I am alone with this "attitude".

I just checked. Here are the artists of the top 10 or the current Billboard Hot 100

- Ariana Grande
- Cardi B
- Chris Brown & Young Thug
- Dua Lipa Featuring DaBaby
- Lil Tjay Featuring 6LACK
- Olivia Rodrigo
- The Weeknd
- 24kGoldn Featuring iann dior

How many of us know these artist?

I recognize 3 names and I would recognize the music and picture of that person

6 I never even heard the name

1 I heard the name and that's about it.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

... Here are the artists of the top 10 or the current Billboard Hot 100

- Ariana Grande
- Cardi B
- Olivia Rodrigo
- The Weeknd

I recognize the names of 4, but that's only because of the Super Bowl, whose halftime entertainment I didn't watch (waste of time). (That cost me missing the first 5 minutes of the 3rd quarter. ????)

Ariana is the only one I'd probably listen to that I recognize, but I'm not going to chase down any of the artist's music to sample (Same as I felt about watch the halftime).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I recognize the names of 4, but that's only because of the Super Bowl, whose halftime entertainment I didn't watch (waste of time). (That cost me missing the first 5 minutes of the 3rd quarter. ????)

Ariana is the only one I'd probably listen to that I recognize, but I'm not going to chase down any of the artist's music to sample (Same as I felt about watch the halftime).

I listen to Dia Lupa, and I know the name Ariana Grande.

But I'm more of a Romeo Santos/Nicky Jam/Maluma/ Becky G/Luis Fonsi/J Balvin/Wisin sort of guy.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I only know one of those names... 

BUT, if Ariana Grande is going to be named for winning x award or being an influential artist then fair enough, those in the know have voted or commented that way. I have nothing to say about it as I don’t really know her music, so can’t judge their decision based on a lack of knowledge.

Some of the comments seem to imply that Daft Punk can’t be that good if (certain posters) have not heard of them. All that indicates is that some people are already a long way out of touch. 

Of course, being out of touch in itself isn’t a good thing or a bad thing, but imparted opinion or judgement is of questionable value when someone uses ‘not knowing of something' as a basis of judgment as if it something were worth knowing of they would know...  a somewhat oxymoron for someone old and out of touch !!!! 

The Saturday Night live sketch shows how talented she is. 

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A crass comment!

I think you meant;

Of course, isn’t it cool though to stand out from the crowd and when something is mentioned or reported on as being the most popular, influential etc.... to say... I don’t know who they are to highlight your (in)dependence etc;

Edited by fangless
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

When I was young I listened to music on the radio all day long. And when I heard the name of the artist and title which I liked then maybe I bought the CD or, some time before that, I used my cassette recorder to record that song. So basically I knew all the names of the songs which I liked.

Later in my life, especially in Bangkok in the last 25 years, I mostly only listen to music. Often in pubs and bars. I still remember the names of the artist and songs when they play oldies. But for a lot of modern music (like the last 20 years) I don't know the artists and title names. Simply because I never had a reason to learn the names and remember them.

I am aware of Daft Punk and Get Lucky because I really like that song and probably some time I asked the DJ what is playing. But that is the exception of the rule.

And somehow I don't think I am alone with this "attitude".

I just checked. Here are the artists of the top 10 or the current Billboard Hot 100

- Ariana Grande
- Cardi B
- Olivia Rodrigo
- The Weeknd

The only name I recognize, from the press, is Ariana Grande and I do not know anything about  the name.  It could be a band/brand/singer/male female etc.  Before you say "Google" I am not interested in the subject and do not know what the "billboard 100" is and don't care!

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

But I'm more of a Romeo Santos/Nicky Jam/Maluma/ Becky G/Luis Fonsi/J Balvin/Wisin sort of guy.

Guess what?

I have never heard of any of these names either.

I must be on a different planet (village!) to the rest of you!

I think will stick to my own :partytime2: if you all don't mind.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, fangless said:

The only name I recognize, from the press, is Ariana Grande and I do not know anything about  the name.  It could be a band/brand/singer/male female etc.  Before you say "Google" I am not interested in the subject and do not know what the "billboard 100" is and don't care!

....love it when posters say they don’t care yet still feel compelled to comment ‘that they don’t care’, thus highlighting that they care so much about ensuring people know they don’t care !!!!!! Amusing !

• Like 2