IO asked for 365-days bank statement for retirement visa

I assume the OP uses his current account and needs to show that the balance has not fallen below the 800k during the relevant times?

I few years back I put 800k in a 6 months fixed interest account(automatically renewed and being able to withdraw at any time); I have used  the bank book and annual bank letter each year for my renewal at CW.

I have not made any withdrawals from this account.

I updated my bank book the day before I went for renewal.

My last renewal was in January of this year and no requirement for any other proof.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, rwilem said:

Exactly!

It's gets so, so tiring on this forum when people post the 'immigration required this', 'I went to immigration and...', etc., etc., etc.

WHERE and WHICH OFFICE are perhaps the most pertinent aspects of all the issues and questions that arise from our dealings with immigration. 

OK. For the record, my last extension, in December '20 at Chaeng Wattana, retirement, banked method, did not require any 12-month bank account activity statement.

Maybe the clue is in the Op's username. 

42 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

Maybe the clue is in the Op's username. 

Pretty lame imo.

The guy that you quoted made a very valid point in that's it's frustrating when people start threads relating to dealing with immigration office without stating which one.

I noticed reference to Bangkok in the username but still asked the same question at start of thread. Reason being is the the OP,s experience does not happen at CW and also folk do move after having created an account with certain username.

20 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Keep in mind, whatever you might be told by calling the Immigration phone hotline won't necessarily be the same as what the IOs at BKK CW actually end up enforcing.

You'll likely be held to whatever whim/policy the IOs at BKK CW are actually enforcing, regardless... And even that may vary from IO to IO at times.

Whenever I call, the person has always cautioned that they are NOT IO's. 

On 3/2/2021 at 9:44 AM, DrJack54 said:

Many folk are now using FD a/c and keeping 800k+ in account all year

It's the only way to fly Jack. Saves numerous headaches at the IO. 

My immigration officer recommended it and happened to be at the bank when I went in and even helped me set it up. No brown envelope required.

Now that's service with a smile! ????

I was asked for a 1 year bank statement on my retirement extension at CW on January, 2021. After 20 years it looks like is going to be a new requirement on the  ฿800,000 base extension. No problem went to the bank in CW basement and requested and get it in 5 minutes they know now, cost me ฿ 200. good luck guys

1 year bank statement.jpg

I think people like yourself are stupid to put 800k in a bank Acct and therefore suffer the consequences 

I myself. 65k every month and credit advice statements for each month. Never an issue at CW

You can invest that money 

On 3/2/2021 at 10:19 AM, jollyhangmon said:

... while useless & annoying in your (and my) case it's technically not that big a deal mate, just find out if your bank/branch can provide a '12 month statement' on the spot or if you'll have to wait for it for up to a week.

In case of the latter you'll have to order it a week before your next extension, then go in again to pick it up together with the standard bank letter which you'll still need anyway a day before or on the day of extension ... cost in my case THB 200 + 100.

PITA? 4 sure. 

Kasikorn can pump one out in 1/2 hour. That's why I switched back to them. Bangkok Bank takes a week. 

33 minutes ago, Makoshark said:

I think people like yourself are stupid to put 800k in a bank Acct and therefore suffer the consequences 

I myself. 65k every month and credit advice statements for each month. Never an issue at CW

You can invest that money 

Me no need 65K a month coming into Thailand....me use no-fee home country credit cards to pay the majority of my day-to-day living expenses in Thailand....pay off credit card bills in full each month....money gets to stay in the home country.   

Any bank should give you a 12 month statement. Krungsri give it free, Kasikorn charge around 400 baht, others I don't know. 

For past two years I have had to show monthly foreign receipts (65k method) and also a 12 months bank statement. It's not difficult to do. 

1 hour ago, Speedhump said:

For past two years I have had to show monthly foreign receipts (65k method) and also a 12 months bank statement. It's not difficult to do. 

"On the day of renewal, put 100bat on my bank account, photocopied the passbook. Note that also had letter from the bank as per the requirements. Again, the bank account had 800K for 3 years, no movement at all, except for the 100bat deposit on renewal day."

The words above are from the OP.

No mention of 'income method' 

The thread is about extension based on retirement using 'money in bank method' 

Especially not difficult to do if your not using income method.

On 3/2/2021 at 9:43 AM, lopburi3 said:

The only catch is it normally has to be ordered a week or so early from bank hqs as local branch can only print out six months.  

That is not true. I got a 12 month statement from TMB while stood at the counter.

I had to go back and pick up the letter as bank policy required a managerial signature. The 12 month statement was just stamped and signed by the teller.

1 hour ago, Speedhump said:

Any bank should give you a 12 month statement. Krungsri give it free, Kasikorn charge around 400 baht, others I don't know. 

Bangkok Bank quoted me a week for a 12 month statement,

I said “ okay I’d like to order one “

” it will be ready Friday morning “  they replied .

It was Tuesday afternoon !!

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

That is not true. I got a 12 month statement from TMB while stood at the counter.

I had to go back and pick up the letter as bank policy required a managerial signature. The 12 month statement was just stamped and signed by the teller.

Actually it is true of the largest bank in Thailand and reportedly others - but not all - which is why I did not say always.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually it is true of the largest bank in Thailand and reportedly others - but not all - which is why I did not say always.

You were quite explicit in your generalisation.

"The only catch is it normally has to be ordered a week or so early from bank hqs as local branch can only print out six months."

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You were quite explicit in your generalisation.

"The only catch is it normally has to be ordered a week or so early from bank hqs as local branch can only print out six months."

Indeed it would have been better to have said "often".  But the fact is often people do have to order/return to get one year bank statements so it is something we need to be aware of and check out.

12 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Even though I had double the required funds in my bank A/C was asked to get 12 monthly statements

So you were applying for extension (retirement) at CW using money in the bank method and were required to provide monthly statements. When was this?

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

"On the day of renewal, put 100bat on my bank account, photocopied the passbook. Note that also had letter from the bank as per the requirements. Again, the bank account had 800K for 3 years, no movement at all, except for the 100bat deposit on renewal day."

The words above are from the OP.

No mention of 'income method' 

The thread is about extension based on retirement using 'money in bank method' 

Especially not difficult to do if your not using income method.

My point which you did not follow is that there should be no requirement for a full 12 month statement at all, for any method. 

6 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

My point which you did not follow is that there should be no requirement for a full 12 month statement at all, for any method. 

And my point clearly you have missed is that income method and money in the bank method are completely different re requirements. Not just the obvious ones.

For income method the funds must be shown to be transferred every month and shown to be transfered from o/s etc.

Money in the bank does not need to be shown transferred from o/s.

This thread is about a Chap (OP) suggesting he is using money in bank method and was asked for bank statements at CW.

I doubt that. 

The several recent posts from folk (including yours) is about using income method.

Has zip to do with thread. 

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

And my point clearly you have missed is that income method and money in the bank method are completely different re requirements. Not just the obvious ones.

For income method the funds must be shown to be transferred every month and shown to be transfered from o/s etc.

Money in the bank does not need to be shown transferred from o/s.

This thread is about a Chap (OP) suggesting he is using money in bank method and was asked for bank statements at CW.

I doubt that. 

The several recent posts from folk (including yours) is about using income method.

Has zip to do with thread. 

Longwinded. The point is that no 12 month statement should be necessary for either method, although it is requested so is obligatory. 

On 3/2/2021 at 9:33 AM, ThomasKrungtep said:

Has anyone encountered this? 

Never for 800,000 in bank. 

since my account is a 6 months CD. 2 times a year. One page of book shows all at least for last few years. 
I renewed my extension 2 months ago in CM. They just looked at my new book and old book (since the new book was only 6 months old) + copies of both. No statement needed. 

They might ask for one year statement if the account is just a savings account. 

On 3/2/2021 at 9:43 AM, lopburi3 said:

It is not impossible to provide - most people from UK/USA/Oz are already providing such a statement for extensions based on income so bank are well aware of what is required and immigration has become used to handling them.  The only catch is it normally has to be ordered a week or so early from bank hqs as local branch can only print out six months.  

I obtain a statement every 6 months from Bangkok Bank, cost 100 baht and takes around half an hour of my time, which I use to browse the mall.

Hardly a burden IMO.

To add to the discussion, I was asked (at CW) for the information mentioned  ie. Letter from the bank and 365 day statement, in addition to the form and listed copies necessary to transfer visa stamps from my old passport to a new passport, even though extension of my retirement was not due for another four months.  Was told "this is a new requirement"  

4 minutes ago, kennw said:

To add to the discussion, I was asked (at CW) for the information mentioned  ie. Letter from the bank and 365 day statement, in addition to the form and listed copies necessary to transfer visa stamps from my old passport to a new passport, even though extension of my retirement was not due for another four months.  Was told "this is a new requirement"  

Retirement extension based on money in the bank method (not income method) at CW?

On 3/2/2021 at 1:14 PM, ThomasKrungtep said:
On 3/2/2021 at 10:57 AM, Martin71 said:

Phone the Immigration Hotline ...1178.

Usually helpful..(at least when I've phoned them).

will try that hotline. Will also check if the online monthly statement will be accepted. Cheers

Up to them init.

copy.jpg.08f98f84466884d99851fae75b7b4a9e.jpgbrianthainess

2 hours ago, Andycoops said:

I obtain a statement every 6 months from Bangkok Bank, cost 100 baht and takes around half an hour of my time, which I use to browse the mall.

Hardly a burden IMO.

That would be good but the question would be will immigration accept two 6 months statements. Not hard to get a one year statement with a little planning.

I do my extensions using income proven by transfers into the country. I request the the one year statement about 2 weeks before I plan on doing the application. Then when I get the bank letter I request a one month statement to show the transfer done the month I do the application.

On 3/2/2021 at 8:44 PM, DrJack54 said:

It is not required at CW. 

Not sure why you keep repeating this as it confuses others. OK in your case you didn't need to produce a ONE year bank statement. We get it. I have done retirement extensions based on 800k in bank at CW and needed to get ONE year bank statements signed by the bank officer for the past two yearly extensions running since the new rules came in. If you use one of the banks located in building they do them on the spot with letter for 300THB.

23 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Not sure why you keep repeating this as it confuses others. OK in your case you didn't need to produce a ONE year bank statement. We get it. I have done retirement extensions based on 800k in bank at CW and needed to get ONE year bank statements signed by the bank officer for the past two yearly extensions running since the new rules came in. If you use one of the banks located in building they do them on the spot with letter for 300THB.

Well thankyou. Yours is first report that I have ever read regarding bank statements being required for retirement extensions based on money in the bank at CW.

In fact in this very thread people have posted that the statements were not required and in fact obtained recent extensions (January). One example above post by @The Theory

I hope others can  confirm your personal experience. The topic quickly morphed into bank statements required for INCOME METHOD.

Strange that the only report I have seen re statements required for money in bank method CW is yours just now. Also the OP,s.

I have pointed out here and other threads that if your using your day to day bank account with many many transactions then yes the io may wish to see bank statements as with multiple transactions they can be consolidated. 

My last extension was Nov. My experience and many others is opposite to yours.

Strange at one of the most consistent immigration offices CW.

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Well thankyou. Yours is first report that I have ever read regarding bank statements being required for retirement extensions based on money in the bank at CW.

In fact in this very thread people have posted that the statements were not required and in fact obtained recent extensions (January).

I hope others can  confirm your personal experience. The topic quickly morphed into bank statements required for income method.

Strange that the only report I have seen re statements required for money in bank method is yours just now.

I have pointed out here and other threads that if your using your day to day bank account with many many transactions then yes the io may wish to see bank statements as with multiple transactions they can be consolidated. 

My last extension was Nov. My experience and many others is opposite to yours.

Strange at one of the most consistent immigration offices CW.

I second what DrJack has said.  I did my extension in October, with 800K in the bank method, and only needed the letter from the bank, with a copy of the bankbook showing the transaction on that date with a small deposit.  Without the deposit into the account there is nothing to update the bankbook with if the interest for the year on the fixed deposit was done earlier in the month.  a fixed deposit account is a little different than just showing you had 800k in a regular savings account I do believe, and that may be why your asked to show the statements to prove that it never dipped below the 800K for the three months, and then 400K for the other time period.  I have both types of accounts, and I am sure if I tried to show the 800K in the regular savings then they would want to see 12 months of statements, so I just use a fixed term Deposit account with the money locked in.

Archived