EU to extend COVID-19 vaccine export controls as AstraZeneca shipment blocked: sources

webfact

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

No the EU wanted the vaccines Astra Zeneca promised them.

It seems AZ decided to limit supplies to the EU but keep their promise to the UK.

Rightly the EU is not happy with that.

As for the UK telling the EU to go <deleted> themselves I suspect thats just pure nonsense you want to believe. 

Yes the UK ordered first. So they get the first vaccines off the line.

If the supplier (AZ) runs out half way through the next order (the EU's order) then that's tough tittie for the EU. They should have got their act together and not taken months and months to place the order.

Stop blaming AZ or the UK for the EU's incompetence.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Again, that’s not true. None of the countries that you call “hoarding” something has “rubbished” the vaccine as “quasi-effective” “to score political points”.

Some countries have questioned the effectiveness regarding the elderly (>65yo). 

Including Sweden ????

4 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Again, that’s not true. None of the countries that you call “hoarding” something has “rubbished” the vaccine “to score political points”.

Some countries have questioned the effectiveness regarding the elderly (>65yo). 

Again, you are wrong. You really should do some research.

Macron claimed AZ was "quasi-ineffective". He had absolutely no evidence for this, he was talking out of his behind. Then he did a U turn. Now they EU are restricting the export of AZ to keep as much as they can for themselves (otherwise known as hoarding) hence this thread. 

I know it's embarrassing, but denying it won't make it all go away.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1404372/AstraZeneca-vaccine-France-recommended-over-65-Emmanuel-Macron-coronavirus-latest

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

so the UK has a contract with AZ and it's ok to enforce it ... on the other hand,  the EU also has a contract with AZ but it's ok Not to enforce it....  in which world are you living

Which world? The world where the first to place the order gets the goods first.

First come first served. A well known expression.

You snooze you lose. Also a well known expression.

The early bird catches the worm. Well, you get the picture.

I know it's a bit embarrassing that the EU were so incompetent, but hey, that's the EU for you. 

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Again, you are wrong. You really should do some research.

You should:

Macron claimed AZ was "quasi-ineffective".

1. He didn’t. He said: “Today we think that it is quasi-ineffective for people over 65”

2. Calling it “quasi-ineffective” and  specifically referring to “people over 65” is not “rubbishing”. 
3. He said that that’s what “we think” “Today”.  

He had absolutely no evidence for this, he was talking out of his behind.

Again, do your homework. He said there was "very little information" available and that “the early results we have are not encouraging for 60 to 65-year-old people”. 

Then he did a U turn.

He said he was awaiting the EMA's verdict and also that of France's own health authority "because they have the numbers".

Of course, that’s what your yellow press doesn’t tell you because then you wouldn’t get so agitated. I suggest you increase the quality of the press you read. 

Now they EU are restricting the export of AZ to keep as much as they can for themselves (otherwise known as hoarding) hence this thread. 

No, the EU isn’t. Italy was. Italy is not Macron. 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

If the supplier (AZ) runs out half way through the next order (the EU's order) then that's tough tittie for the EU. They should have got their act together and not taken months and months to place the order.

They didn't want to order the UK vaccine as they like to think that the mighty EU does not need anything that comes out of the UK. Oh how wrong they were, and how quickly things descended into farce over in the EU.

It's mostly political, however even the UK approved the German vaccine and rolled it out before it could be used in Germany, apparently it would have required a meeting to have been rescheduled to get things moving in the EU - and we can't have that can we!

In the EU the bureaucracy is more important than anything else, I think a few tens of millions of people might have taken note. Reminds me of somewhere else which is overloaded with bureaucracy - Thailand.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

1. He didn’t. He said: “Today we think that it is quasi-ineffective for people over 65”

2. Calling it “quasi-ineffective” is not “rubbishing”. 
3. He was specifically referring to “people over 65”.
4. He said that that’s what “we think” “Today”.  

People like Macron who are frequently very wrong should keep their mouths shut.

I have no doubt that the French will boot his ass out at their next election in 2022.

6 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

My understanding is the EU ordered the day before the UK. It also handed Astra Zeneca 350 million euros so it could ramp up production.

Is that why the EU tried to reject the concept of first come first served and demanded the doses being made for the UK?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55822602

Watching France 24 right now I'm surprised to see that only a Doctor can administer a vaccine in Paris.

They have plans to allow pharmacists to administer a vaccine 'soon' - a giant leap forward for such a backwards system ????

@welovesundaysatspace The British vaccine developed in Oxford and manufactured all around the world mostly working with AstraZeneca but lets make no mistake, it's as British as any vaccine right back to the very first one which was also British.

The Oxford ChAdOx1 based vaccine manufactured by 'whoever will make it' has been around for quite a few years, previously it was used for Ebola before being modified for COVID.

Edited by ukrules

18 minutes ago, ukrules said:

@welovesundaysatspace The British vaccine developed in Oxford and manufactured all around the world mostly working with AstraZeneca but lets make no mistake, it's as British as any vaccine right back to the very first one which was also British.

15 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Isn’t it a Swedish vaccine? ???? 

And while we are it, what do you think about the German-American vaccine developed by Turkish immigrants produced in Belgium? It can get confusing when you’re trying to take pride in someone else’s achievements. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, webfact said:

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Union is planning to extend its export authorisation scheme for COVID-19 vaccines to the end of June, two EU sources told Reuters on Thursday, as a shipment of AstraZeneca shots from the EU to Australia was blocked.

To add some figures illustrating the scale of the problem with resistance to the AZ vaccine in the EU:

For all the talk of Covid-19 vaccine supply issues in the European Union, official data show that close to 13 million doses distributed to member states have not even been administered. Most of those are from AstraZeneca, with many Europeans apparently unwilling to accept that particular jab.

According to the European Centre on Disease Control and Prevention (ECDC), 43.4 million doses of Covid-19 vaccines have been distributed to countries of the EU or European Economic Area, but only 30.6 million doses have been administered.

How could blocking exports of 0.25m doses to OZ, as they've just done, possibly help when they have 13m sitting around unadministered? What's the point of trying to hold AZ to its original contracted figures when they've generated such resistance to this vaccine?

Both decisions seem likely to just cause friction with no upside in terms of actually getting the bloc vaccinated...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Yes the UK ordered first. So they get the first vaccines off the line.

Stop blaming AZ or the UK for the EU's incompetence.

The EU placed the final order one day before UK, and made a prepayment of 336 million euro.

Edited by candide
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

And yet you have no problem with this I take it?

Britain has so far prevented the export of AstraZeneca vaccines to the EU, using a UK-first clause in its supply contract with the Anglo-Swedish firm, EU officials have said.

Rubbish, I’m in France and we have had AZ and Pfizer since new year !  Yes’ at one moment production and deliveries slowed down. Macron and co cried foul, making false accusations against AZ.

Now , we have a huge stock of vaccins sitting in some secret location and they don’t know how to get them out to all the people waiting for them !!! It’s a huge scandal and this inadequate government will risk future elections because of this. Doctors and scientists all over France are crying out for these vaccines to be delivered. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Is that why the EU tried to reject the concept of first come first served and demanded the doses being made for the UK?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55822602

Did you read your own link btw?

"In a nutshell, here is why EU officials are furious with AstraZeneca. They say the contract between them and the pharmaceutical giant clearly stipulates that the two main vaccine production factories in the UK are to be classed as primary manufacturing sites, and the production sites in Belgium and the Netherlands are secondary priorities.

The vaccine production issues are in Belgium and the Netherlands (they have been producing lower yields). So, this is a no-brainer to EU officials - the UK sites should be used to transport the vaccines across the continent".

This and the fact the EU gave over 330 million euros to Astra Zeneca so it could increase its manufacturing capacity.

15 minutes ago, geisha said:

Rubbish, I’m in France and we have had AZ and Pfizer since new year !  Yes’ at one moment production and deliveries slowed down. Macron and co cried foul, making false accusations against AZ.

Now , we have a huge stock of vaccins sitting in some secret location and they don’t know how to get them out to all the people waiting for them !!! It’s a huge scandal and this inadequate government will risk future elections because of this. Doctors and scientists all over France are crying out for these vaccines to be delivered. 

Well I quoted from the article in the OP.

If you feel it is rubbish and know better I suggest you contact the mods to have it removed.

15 minutes ago, geisha said:

Your information is out of date. That was the case early January, not now.

Anyway, it doesn't change the fact that AZ did not deliver the scheduled quantities to the EU and has publicly stated it can only deliver 25% of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Which world? The world where the first to place the order gets the goods first.

First come first served. A well known expression.

You snooze you lose. Also a well known expression.

The early bird catches the worm. Well, you get the picture.

I know it's a bit embarrassing that the EU were so incompetent, but hey, that's the EU for you. 

before posting some non sense you should check dates, detailed information is available and that would avoid making you look like a mo...n

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/astrazeneca-signed-vaccine-contract-with-eu-at-the-same-time-and-with-the-same-terms-as-uk-221293/

AstraZeneca signed vaccine contract with EU at the same time and with the same terms as UK

• Like 1

As an Australian currently stranded in Australia, I have no problem with Italy stopping the export of these vaccine doses to Australia and keeping them for itself. Australia has zero known local cases of the China virus at the moment, so Italy needs vaccines way more than we do. Australia’s borders will remain firmly closed until the whole world’s been vaccinated, and the only reason for getting a vaccine that I have is if it lets me travel again, and Europe’s the first place I’d like to get back to some day.

• Thanks 2

Take a whiff.  Smell that?  That's the smell of Greed.  Smells good huh?  And it smells even better when your government forces you to pay vaccine corporations for that shot at a premium.  Emmmm.  Greed baby.  Smells like Teen Spirit.