What small gift to bring from US to Thai couple

wn78

I saw the title of this thread and thought... this thread is a dog whistle for those who’ve spent their time propping up bars and only ever been exposed to Thais through a mercenary financial transaction.....

I wasn’t disappointed !!!....  3rd post in and someone suggested money !!!!  

Others have suggested Thai’s don’t understand ‘its the thought that counts’ !!! 

I have to wonder what on earth some people have been doing here  !!!!

---------

Chocolates are a good idea...  For men, perhaps a decent bottle of local booze... 

Much of the choice in present depends on the ‘audience’... i.e. I have Thai friends would really enjoy a great Whisky, others who would perhaps scoff if it wasn’t single malt and didn’t know that a blend can also be a great Whisky and others who would mix it with soda and get hammered !!!! - for each the choice would have to be different... 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, wn78 said:

What kind of a small gift can I bring to a Thai guy and his girlfriend, who are not my close friends, but casual friends with whom I want to keep a connection.  He speaks decent English and somewhat westernized, his gf is more traditional, they are small business owners in BKK and from common Thai background.  It’s gotta be something hard to get a hold of in Thailand so they would appreciate it. Maybe a certain brand of alcohol, cigarettes, or premium coffee??  What would Thais bring back from the US for their casual friends?  Something inexpensive, under $50-75 for either a single combined gift or two separate gifts for him and her.

COVID. Definitely COVID. It's tiny, so tiny in fact that you wouldn't even notice you're carrying it. And it's not just inexpensive, it's free and widely available in the US and far harder to find in Thailand. Though, the related expenses could be quite steep. Surely over 50-75$ range...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Same here...  I think my MiL would be pretty insulted if I gave her money as a gift, not because of the lack of thought, but also because of the implication. 

That said, those of poorer means may welcome such a gift, but for sure, those who would may value the money more than your friendship or company. Perhaps its not surprising why some guys are seen as ATM’s. 

Couldn't agree more - it would be insulting. If I were in the OP's position, I'd choose something I thought was appropriate and that was unique to my country and if the recipients were ungrateful, I'd be glad I found out what they were like before becoming friendlier with them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

Couldn't agree more - it would be insulting. If I were in the OP's position, I'd choose something I thought was appropriate and that was unique to my country and if the recipients were ungrateful, I'd be glad I found out what they were like before becoming friendlier with them.

The only way I'd give money in the OP's situation is not for the cash value, but the novelty of foreign currency and especially coins.  I've got lots of friends who collect coins from around the world and appreciate it when I bring them coins from various countries I've visited even if it was just an airport layover. 

For example, from the USA, quarters from the different states...  50 to collect and $12.50 gets a complete set.  If you can find some of the rare ones.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

bring 99% gold.  Here I see only 96%.  

If it's not a liquid asset and, by definition, easily convertible to money, then it must be super practical.  if not, in my years of giving, it's not appreciated.

like an expensive umbrella, jacket, shoes, watch, phone accessory, something of high quality....made in good 'ol USA, not China.

the funniest would be a set of Encyclopedias......and put money inside to see if anyone opens the 10000000 volumes.  lol

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

The only way I'd give money in the OP's situation is not for the cash value, but the novelty of foreign currency and especially coins.  I've got lots of friends who collect coins from around the world and appreciate it when I bring them coins from various countries I've visited even if it was just an airport layover. 

For example, from the USA, quarters from the different states...  50 to collect.

Yeah, that's different but I think you'd have to know if they collected them first. If not, it might look like you're just throwing your loose change at them when you get back from your trip. ????

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wn78 said:

Thanks, didn't know that.  I thought chocolate was universal.

Chocolate is universal. I've frequently bought many bags of Godiva chocolate and it's been very appreciated by my girlfriend, her family and all her friends. When she posts pictures of the latest food haul on FB they all want some. Godiva is very expensive in Thailand but in the US it's about 1/3 the price. Go to their website and get an assortment of bags. Light weight compared to a bottle. I've also bought big tins of Walker shortbread cookies (around Christmas they sell the tins) and that's another food item that's expensive here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

As others have said, Most Thai people don't see the value, or understand the point, of small gifts and souvenirs from overseas.

I remember bringing my prospective mother-in-law a decorative boomerang from Australia when I first went to Thailand. She was very perplexed, put it away in the back of a cupboard somewhere, and it was never mentioned again. She only genuinely smiled at me for the first time when I gave her money.

Go with the decorative bottle of Mexican tequila and some decent tinned shortbread biscuits.

Omega 3, brand name perfumes / beauty products / vitamins / health products are also welcomed.

Vitamins are very expensive in Thailand and I always bring back bottles. Now my girlfriend's aunt is asking if I can bring some specialty vitamins for her. This is a good idea for someone you know well but I wouldn't do it for a casual friend since you don't know if they like to take vitamins.

2 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

I would go for a bottle of very good wine from California

The wine (Even the bad one) is very expensive here in Thailand due to the taxes 

so if you buy a bottle in the range of 30\40$ in the US (You can have something really

decent at this price) it will cost 100$ for the same here in Thailand...

i forget to precise if you go for the wine bottle

don't forget to add the bottle opener, don't expect the

thais having one in the house, they rarely drink wine, particularly at home.

Chose an easy to use model, not the cheapest metalic one

again keep in mind they are not used to open wine bottles

it will probably be their first time doing that, so make it easy for them

https://www.wish.com/product/5e6338ae91b9f52e1f99adb8?hide_login_modal=true&from_ad=goog_shopping&_display_country_code=TH&_force_currency_code=THB&pid=googleadwords_int&c={campaignId}&ad_cid=5e6338ae91b9f52e1f99adb8&ad_cc=TH&ad_lang=EN&ad_curr=THB&ad_price=353.00&campaign_id=10118096838&exclude_install=true&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzqTfnuKo7wIVlH4rCh36ygwpEAQYBSABEgI2PfD_BwE&share=web

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2021 at 5:24 AM, wn78 said:

What kind of a small gift can I bring to a Thai guy and his girlfriend, who are not my close friends, but casual friends with whom I want to keep a connection.  He speaks decent English and somewhat westernized, his gf is more traditional, they are small business owners in BKK and from common Thai background.  It’s gotta be something hard to get a hold of in Thailand so they would appreciate it. Maybe a certain brand of alcohol, cigarettes, or premium coffee??  What would Thais bring back from the US for their casual friends?  Something inexpensive, under $50-75 for either a single combined gift or two separate gifts for him and her.

Your Credit Card??? 55555????

You can't go wrong with a couple of Ts from USA, Thais love Ts, they'll wear them for sure, and easy for you to carry...light, can't get broken, won't take much room in your bags.

On 3/11/2021 at 10:02 PM, kingofthemountain said:

for example if you offer a perfume or chocolate box to the girl, it could be misunterpreted

as if you have some secrets sentiments for her, there are usualy gifts a lover do to her girlfriend.

Agree about the perfume.  I once brought back some perfume to my regular masseuse (no...not that kind of massage) and she told me that it was inappropriate unless it came from a boyfriend/husband and then proceeded to give me 5 baht as then it would be a “symbolic” reimbursement.  On the other hand, Chocolates have always been requested by women I know.

One funny story I have is when I brought a male friend a pair of Ray Ban wayfarers (real ones purchased from a mall in Beverly Hills).  Afterwards, I never saw him wear them and he would don the ฿100 fake wayfarers.  I asked him why he never wore the ones I bought him and he scoffed and told me they were fake.  I’m guessing he probably sold them but of course couldn’t tell me the truth.  Up to him ???? 

Edited by Airalee

49 minutes ago, Airalee said:

On the other hand, Chocolates have always been requested by women I know

Of course the girls like the chocolates

(And because of the abusives taxes on importations chocolate boxes are quite expensive in Thailand)

can i ask you if the women you know were in couple?

I can assure you if you offer a box of chocolates to a Thai girl\women in couple

her husband\boyfriend will probably be not very happy at all with it, chocolates boxes

are the typical Thai gift (With the red roses) for the Valentine's day

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

Of course the girls like the chocolates

(And because of the abusives taxes on importations chocolate boxes are quite expensive in Thailand)

can i ask you if the women you know were in couple?

I can assure you if you offer a box of chocolates to a Thai girl\women in couple

her husband\boyfriend will probably be not very happy at all with it, chocolates boxes

are the typical Thai gift (With the red roses) for the Valentine's day

Every one was in a couple and every one requested that I bring them back See’s candy.  

Every.  Single.  One.  

I couldn’t leave to go back home without them making the request...ever.  I guess that’s the power of chocolate.  I’d go out to eat with them too.  Their husbands/boyfriends all knew me too so they knew that it was all above board.  They enjoyed the chocolate too.

Of course, I knew them all on a (semi)professional basis so that might have made a difference.

Semi professional meaning. One was the Juristic Manager of my condo.  One was my physical therapist that I saw for 6 months and one was the assistant to the owner of the Thai Language school I attended. 

Edited by Airalee
  • Like 2

On 3/11/2021 at 3:48 PM, cyril sneer said:

50x US lottery tickets

A gift that only works if it's a winning ticket, otherwise they're just getting scraps of paper.  And, if it was a winning ticket, they couldn't collect on it so it's always going to be lovely scraps of paper.  They'd be over the moon.