What small gift to bring from US to Thai couple

wn78

What kind of a small gift can I bring to a Thai guy and his girlfriend, who are not my close friends, but casual friends with whom I want to keep a connection.  He speaks decent English and somewhat westernized, his gf is more traditional, they are small business owners in BKK and from common Thai background.  It’s gotta be something hard to get a hold of in Thailand so they would appreciate it. Maybe a certain brand of alcohol, cigarettes, or premium coffee??  What would Thais bring back from the US for their casual friends?  Something inexpensive, under $50-75 for either a single combined gift or two separate gifts for him and her.

Edited by wn78

1 hour ago, wn78 said:

What kind of a small gift can I bring to a Thai guy and his girlfriend, who are not my close friends, but casual friends with whom I want to keep a connection.  He speaks decent English and somewhat westernized, his gf is more traditional, they are small business owners in BKK and from common Thai background.  It’s gotta be something hard to get a hold of in Thailand so they would appreciate it. Maybe a certain brand of alcohol, cigarettes, or premium coffee??  What would Thais bring back from the US for their casual friends?  Something inexpensive, under $50-75 for either a single combined gift or two separate gifts for him and her.

A coffee table book, drinks' coasters, a pair of matching coffee mugs or tea cups, anything that's specific to your home country will be a perfect gift to take to a Thai family's home.

• Like 1

Something edible that they may have never experienced, and that they may hopefully enjoy.

Chocolates are good idea because the chocolate things sold in tropical countries tend to taste of powdered milk (well I can taste it).  Once brought an assortment of candy bars on a trip to Brazil, especially odd because my friends grew cocoa on their farm.  Some of them liked the Hershey bars from the US better than the fancier brands from Europe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As someone already mentioned money or something very expensive. 

Thais do not seem to have the concept of "it's the thought that counts".  If it ain't expensive it's almost considered as an insult.

Long time ago when I was living long time at a very friendly resort I came back from a visa run with some little gifts for the nice owners.

I didn't realize it at the time but the "thought that counts gift" was obviously not expensive enough and they started to ignore me so much so that after almost a year of living there I moved on.

Didn't make that mistake again. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

Alcohol is difficult to bring because of the customs restrictions. Usually only 1 L allowed of anything including wine. Difficult to say with your budget.

But having done this several times in the past I go along with previous posters saying money is best. Strange food will not be appreciated, and chocolates are simply not eaten here. Biscuits will be shared by the whole family and last about five seconds. Alcohol is knocked back in a few gulps. However a fancy bottle that they can show off might be appreciated or something that they can put on the mantle piece that looks nice but unusual. I've even given a cuckoo clock before now!

Edited by Andyfez
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Thais do not seem to have the concept of "it's the thought that counts".  If it ain't expensive it's almost considered as an insult.

Interesting, is that really so...  I kind of had such question in the back of my mind, but wasn't sure.   I'd rather not bring anything at all then.  Or maybe some alcohol or chocolate, something edible that they can surely enjoy.  

2 minutes ago, Andyfez said:

Alcohol is difficult to bring because of the customs restrictions. Usually only 1 L allowed of anything including wine. Difficult to say with your budget.

Maybe a smaller bottle (gift size) of some famous/expensive alcohol that is difficult to get in Thailand?  What would that be?

4 hours ago, bendejo said:

Something edible that they may have never experienced, and that they may hopefully enjoy.

Chocolates are good idea because the chocolate things sold in tropical countries tend to taste of powdered milk (well I can taste it).  Once brought an assortment of candy bars on a trip to Brazil, especially odd because my friends grew cocoa on their farm.  Some of them liked the Hershey bars from the US better than the fancier brands from Europe.

Seems like we got conflicting advice about the chocolate here.

By the way, odd indeed about the Hershey.  No offence, but in terms of quality chocolate, Hershey is garbage.

Edited by wn78
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Andyfez said:

Strange food will not be appreciated, and chocolates are simply not eaten here. Biscuits will be shared by the whole family and last about five seconds. Alcohol is knocked back in a few gulps. However a fancy bottle that they can show off might be appreciated or something that they can put on the mantle piece that looks nice but unusual. I've even given a cuckoo clock before now!

When my Thai colleagues travel to Europe, they nearly always bring back chocolates and biscuits that they then leave in a common area for people to help themselves. They disappear pretty quickly! 

To be honest, I'd say food or alcohol is a good bet because then they don't have to find somewhere to put some kind of souvenir. If they're sports fans a genuine shirt, cap etc. from their favourite team would be appreciated. If you're not close then pretty much anything will be appreciated. The closer you are, the more expensive and meaningful the gift needs to be!

Edited by KhaoNiaw
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wn78 said:

Maybe a smaller bottle (gift size) of some famous/expensive alcohol that is difficult to get in Thailand?  What would that be?

Nah.

They would just drown it in ice and water and knock it back in seconds and tell you they prefer Laocow (spelling)

Whenever my wife or her friends go away they always return with cakes, pastries, dried fruits etc produced in where they visited.

I thought maybe one of those Mexican tequila bottles with a worm, scorpio, or other critters inside.   No matter if it causes excitement or disgust, either way should be fun for them.

• Like 1

I have three suggestions to make:

Buy her a small bottle of branded perfume and him a large bottle of Bourbon

When you arrive back in Thailand, take them out to a nice restaurant - Eat and Talk!

Stop off somewhere at a market and get a flower seller to make you up a bouquet or something similar.

It IS the thought that counts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andyfez said:

Strange food will not be appreciated, and chocolates are simply not eaten here.

Boxes of See’s chocolates were the #1 request from all my Thai friends when I would bounce back and forth between here and the US every few months.  Easiest gift to get as they are available at the airport.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

50x US lottery tickets

If they hit the jackpot, I'd be seriously <deleted> off first, and then I'd expect a nice gift back.  And it better not be a box of See's chocolates????

As others have said, Most Thai people don't see the value, or understand the point, of small gifts and souvenirs from overseas.

I remember bringing my prospective mother-in-law a decorative boomerang from Australia when I first went to Thailand. She was very perplexed, put it away in the back of a cupboard somewhere, and it was never mentioned again. She only genuinely smiled at me for the first time when I gave her money.

Go with the decorative bottle of Mexican tequila and some decent tinned shortbread biscuits.

Omega 3, brand name perfumes / beauty products / vitamins / health products are also welcomed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

As others have said, Most Thai people don't see the value, or understand the point, of small gifts and souvenirs from overseas.

I remember bringing my prospective mother-in-law a decorative boomerang from Australia when I first went to Thailand. She was very perplexed, put it away in the back of a cupboard somewhere, and it was never mentioned again. She only genuinely smiled at me for the first time when I gave her money.

Go with the decorative bottle of Mexican tequila and some decent tinned shortbread biscuits.

Omega 3, brand name perfumes / beauty products / vitamins / health products are also welcomed.

I'm pretty sure my mother-in-law would think it very strange if I gave her money as a gift. It's not a very thoughtful choice.

• Like 2