Songkran Festival without Water Splashing

webfact

mc.jpg

BANGKOK, March 10 (TNA) - The operations sub-committee of the Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) did not support water splashing and the use of talcum powder during the Songkran festival, considering them as posing COVID-19 transmission risks .

As head of the sub-committee, Gen Nattapon Nakpanich, secretary-general of the National Security Council, said his sub-committee would tomorrow discuss disease control measures for the Songkran festival with representatives of the Tourism and Sports Ministry, the Culture Ministry and the Public Health Ministry.

The discussion would be thorough before the consideration by the CCSA on March 19, he said.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-652437

tnalogo.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

The operations sub-committee of the Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA)

Rolls off the tongue.

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

As head of the sub-committee, Gen Nattapon Nakpanich, secretary-general of the National Security Council, said his sub-committee would tomorrow discuss disease control measures for the Songkran festival with representatives of the Tourism and Sports Ministry, the Culture Ministry and the Public Health Ministry.

Masks? No.

Social distancing? No

Mandatory use of tracking app? Yes

IMO, a good experiment, roll the dice, wait 6 - 8 weeks, see what happens. If no Nth wave, then open 'er up.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

mc.jpg

BANGKOK, March 10 (TNA) - The operations sub-committee of the Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) did not support water splashing and the use of talcum powder during the Songkran festival, considering them as posing COVID-19 transmission risks .

The discussion would be thorough before the consideration by the CCSA on March 19, he said.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-652437

tnalogo.jpg

This is going to be great. Right as they get the current situation taken care of and vaccines are on the horizon, boom! Mix a bunch of wet people together in Bangkok and elsewhere where they have walk in cases on a regular basis. It’s going to be awesome! 

All of this BS is for BKK.  Out here in the other world it will go on as usual.  I might be able to make it and walk downtown getting wet and enjoying the water fights with the kids.  Great day!  Remember this is Thailand if you do not like Songkran consider a long trip home.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

So we have had now 3 news articles.

- Songkran 2021 will go through

- Songkran holiday extended to 6 days

- No water throwing or powder use during songkran.

Now it is just waiting for the next article that says, songkran 2021 cancelled.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Although not a huge fan of this festival any more, I can't help but feel that it would be wiser to simply prohibit it this year. Better to be safe than sorry. 

I wonder if they'll ban the sale of alcohol ? 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, HappyinNE said:

All of this BS is for BKK.  Out here in the other world it will go on as usual.  I might be able to make it and walk downtown getting wet and enjoying the water fights with the kids.  Great day!  Remember this is Thailand if you do not like Songkran consider a long trip home.

I didn't relocate to Thailand for Songkran... and my first impressions of it 18 years were that it sucked... big time. My wife and I lock down for the entirety of it, and she is Thai. It is the worst form of holiday reveling I have ever seen. It is like turning Christmas into a bonfire activity in which people light up there Xmas trees for the kicks of it.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, pattjock said:

Why not take the opportunity to bring songkran back to the origins where younger people show their respect for the elderly by bathing their hands and feet.

The crazy water war of today has nothing to do with Thai traditions.

To what extent has the modern crazy water war been influenced / adapted to please foreign tourists??

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

To what extent has the modern crazy water war been influenced / adapted to please foreign tourists??

The length of it for one now, and then the worldwide exposure and promotions for the largest water party that goes on for days and days and has no true cultural meaning anymore.  Commercialization and money making is what it has become.  Tell me it isn't.. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Susco said:

So we have had now 3 news articles.

- Songkran 2021 will go through

- Songkran holiday extended to 6 days

- No water throwing or powder use during songkran.

Now it is just waiting for the next article that says, songkran 2021 cancelled.

We can only hope so.

Just watching the MCOT news and it looks like a waterless Songkran to be had, this just in.  Yet Songkran will still go on for 6 days.  Kind of defeats the purpose of domestic tourism in Thailand in places such as Pattaya, Phuket, and Bangkok without water and talc being sprayed and applied.  So it will just be 6 days of drunken rage filled fun by punks who want to trash everything after getting sauced.  One day is all that is needed to do the cultural norm with Family and going to the temple to pay merit and show respect.

• Like 1