April 1st still on the table for Thailand's opening to foreign tourists

webfact

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Looks like Pipat just spouted off before putting his brain in gear.

Did he not stop and think before stating first of april?

Surely anyone with even half a brain would never have said first of april, just makes it look like it was just a joke.

TBH, I don't think April 1 is a date that has the same cultural significance to Thais as it does to us. It's like euthanasing a pet in terminal pain, we understand it is merciful, most Thais think it is a sin, according to their Theravada Buddhist precepts.

Having said that, this is optimistic folly. The Thai international carrier is bankrupt, along with many other airlines. There are still no flights from Bangkok to Melbourne after one year. Many countries are not permitting their citizens to travel, and even if they could, the cost of air travel alone has skyrocketed. Opening Thai borders won't change those constraints.

IMO this is just more of the same, a dummy offered to the howling baby of tourism that has a bad case of financial colic.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'll just hibernate until this is all over - someone give me a shout when something factual comes out of the Thai government, in writing!

After months of 'proposals', 'bubbles', 'STV's' - last week there was what purported to be an ACTUAL announcement.  Anutin, the deputy PM and health minister said tourists who have been vaccinated against Covid 19 WOULD be allowed to spend just 7 days in quarantine.  The report, here on Thaivisa did not say 'could' or that he was proposing the idea, it was reported as factual.

Now its being reported as a 'PLAN', stating that Anutin 'FAVOURS' the idea!

Are the Thai government really to blame for the confusion or is it the reporting?

Now I have to let the wife know I may not be coming in June after all.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, fordguy61mi said:

A 7 or 10 day quarantine will not be acceptable to tourists here for a 2-week holiday.

Or a three week holiday I'd wager. No way I'd spend 33-50% of a holiday in quarantine.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

They published a story that reported the Thai minister for tourism and sports Pipat Ratchakitprakan as meeting a delegation of tourism operators and associations from Surat Thani led by the deputy governor of the province.

April 1st seems very appropriate... by then only 40,000 Thais might have been inoculated, a large proportion of which jumped the queue and have no contact with tourists.

But hey ho let Pipat have his dreams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SwampyThai said:

Welcome to Thailand. Mingle with millions of unvaccinated locals, maybe a trip to Chang Mai to breathe in today's world's worst air pollution in one of the duel entry priced national parks, yep, I can imagine it now, millions of tourists champing at the bit to come here, not.

Let me in ! ????

20210312_104250.jpg

1 hour ago, Knobby37 said:

If they are serious I suggest the 31st of May or 2nd April ????

Not sure about 31st May , but if they announced 2nd April you would still get the usual stampede of original comedians falling over themselves to make some kind of April 1st joke.

You would have thought after so many years these people would realise that making the same kind of comment/joke year after year is really boring.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DJBenz said:

Or a three week holiday I'd wager. No way I'd spend 33-50% of a holiday in quarantine.

Another thing...I'm sure i've read that incompetence reared it's ugly head in some asq's and some 'positive' test results have actually been proven to be 'negative' results. Imagine getting tested on Day 5 of asq, getting a 'positive' and then doing 2 weeks in hospital!!...the latest rules are <deleted> for the standard tourist but good for long-stayers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

TBH, I don't think April 1 is a date that has the same cultural significance to Thais as it does to us. It's like euthanasing a pet in terminal pain, we understand it is merciful, most Thais think it is a sin, according to their Theravada Buddhist precepts.

Having said that, this is optimistic folly. The Thai international carrier is bankrupt, along with many other airlines. There are still no flights from Bangkok to Melbourne after one year. Many countries are not permitting their citizens to travel, and even if they could, the cost of air travel alone has skyrocketed. Opening Thai borders won't change those constraints.

IMO this is just more of the same, a dummy offered to the howling baby of tourism that has a bad case of financial colic.

"the cost of air travel alone has skyrocketed"

The flights are still cheap from the UK - Finnair £405 + £60 each way for checked bags (great idea for families who can travel light) out July back September is a great deal then its £550 up which is about how it was before covid. 

On the other hand paying for ASQ will be a killer.

3 minutes ago, chang1 said:

"the cost of air travel alone has skyrocketed"

The flights are still cheap from the UK - Finnair £405 + £60 each way for checked bags (great idea for families who can travel light) out July back September is a great deal then its £550 up which is about how it was before covid. 

On the other hand paying for ASQ will be a killer.

That may be the case for UK, an economy class fare from Bangkok to Australia is more than a business class fare used to be.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the UK ban travel of its citizens for non-essential purposes recently?

11 hours ago, colinneil said:

Looks like Pipat just spouted off before putting his brain in gear.

Did he not stop and think before stating first of april?

Surely anyone with even half a brain would never have said first of april, just makes it look like it was just a joke.

Well it is, one BIG joke and that's not the ex immigration guy????

5 hours ago, jaiyen said:

They seem to forget that there are no commercial tourist flights from almost all countries and Thai Airways are grounded cos they are bankrupt. So how will tourists get to Thailand ??  Will have to set up a committee to look into that small problem.

Please don't point out these minor problems, you might upset the poor brainless people making these well thought out plans. 

Vaccinated American here. Would consider a 7 day quaratine. That's about the limit. Indonesia has a 5 day quaratine but way more covid.

Flights from US are currently in the $600 range in April. Hotels cheaper than ever. Probably "break even" after quaratine costs. Make it 3 days and I'll book now ????

Edited by R5000
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

Did the target countries get the memo that they are to drop their travel quarantine and restriction guidelines?  I can't see China letting unvaccinated people travel to a country where no one is vaccinated. 

I wouldn,t consider china a champion of human rights and concerns.

• Like 2