How do I pay tax for work I did last year?

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has been answered before but the search function no longer works for me and I can't find the info I want on Google. 

I used to work as staff (I'm a writer) for a university. I got made redundant in March last year. I made over the 150k threshold in those months, so have to pay tax. I also got an extra 7 months' pay for redundancy. I was told when I was made redundant that I would have to file taxes between January and March this year (2021).

Since being made redundant, I haven't earned any money in Thailand, so I only need to file for the three months. I don't know how, and the HR department for my old employer doesn't answer any emails. I will try and call tomorrow but have a few questions first.

1/ What do I need to know? I have an SSO number, work permit number, number of alien (in work permit), the amount of money I made and the redundancy. Unfortunately, I don't know my tax ID number. Unless that is one of the above.

2/ How do I do it? Is there a link? I tried to find one but as a foreigner, I couldn't find the right bit. 

3/ Do you get taxed on redundancy pay?

4/ I am thinking of just going to an accountant like Siam-legal but suspect I will need more information. What might that be? How much is that going to cost? Is there an alternative? 

I am in Bangkok and on a marriage non-o extension if that is relevant.

Thanks a lot for any response. I tried finding this out but couldn't find anything. I'm useless at stuff like this.

Cheers in advance.

31 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

The main tax office is in Bangkok, but there are Revenue Department office branches throughout Thailand. The Main Office also has English-speaking personnel who can help with filing taxes, general information or to locate a branch.

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/thailand/money/income-tax

This is great, thanks. I think I will just go there and ask for help. Quite handy for Ari BTS, which is a bonus. I tried to find an online form but they only seem to offer a selection of other forms. Or a half year tax form. Thanks again, this is great.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, allane said:

Taxes are due and payable March 31 for the preceding calendar year. Get a tax number from your nearest Revenue Dept. office.  I think they are also available at your District office.

Thanks. I knew I had to do it by the end of this month but not that I can get a tax number from the revenue department. I worked for the company for 5 years, so thought I might have one already. Either way, the revenue department should know it. I have my passport and a photocopy of my old work permit, so that should be ok. Cheers.

13 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

http://www.bia.co.th/thailand-legal-guide-2016-update/chapter-12-personal-taxes/

Redundancy pay is not taxed unless it is over 300,000 Baht. This website has lot's of handy info. Good luck ????

Cool. Thanks for the information. Sadly the payment was over that. Well, I say sadly, it was actually pretty nice. I think I will go to the main Bangkok office and beg for assistance.

32 minutes ago, jrward42 said:

... so thought I might have one already.

You should have if you've been paying tax via the company (the number ought to be on your pay statements).

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You should have if you've been paying tax via the company (the number ought to be on your pay statements).

That's what I thought. I was there for 5 years and know they paid the tax. Annoyingly the number isn't on payslips or my old work permit. I assume the revenue department will know what it is. My other option is to try and phone whoever is left at the old company or go back there and try and see someone.

58 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I am assuming employee number isn't the same thing. That is the only ID type number on the slip.

I get a withholding tax certificate (Section 50 Bis of the Revenue Code) every year from my employer that shows my salary, social security, and taxes deducted by the company. Then I fill my taxes though the Android app since it's in English: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.revenuedepartment.app&hl=en_US&gl=US

I also apply for any tax deductions I am entitled to in that app. A few weeks later, I'd normally receive a letter (in Thai) telling me to upload documents for tax refund. I don't know any way to do this in English, so I do it through the Thai website: https://epit.rd.go.th/BOAPP_RDINET/EFLoginService?service=MTA2

Once the document are uploaded I have to wait around two more weeks before I receive the tax refund check in my mailbox. As a side note, Thai nationals get paid directly to their bank accounts through PromptPay using ID number (not phone number).

But since you go to the office, I'm sure they'll help you. Good luck!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SymS said:

I get a withholding tax certificate (Section 50 Bis of the Revenue Code) every year from my employer that shows my salary, social security, and taxes deducted by the company. Then I fill my taxes though the Android app since it's in English: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.revenuedepartment.app&hl=en_US&gl=US

I also apply for any tax deductions I am entitled to in that app. A few weeks later, I'd normally receive a letter (in Thai) telling me to upload documents for tax refund. I don't know any way to do this in English, so I do it through the Thai website: https://epit.rd.go.th/BOAPP_RDINET/EFLoginService?service=MTA2

Once the document are uploaded I have to wait around two more weeks before I receive the tax refund check in my mailbox. As a side note, Thai nationals get paid directly to their bank accounts through PromptPay using ID number (not phone number).

But since you go to the office, I'm sure they'll help you. Good luck!

This is great thanks. I will ask my old employers for this form as it sounds helpful and exactly what I should have received when I left. They initially told me that I would receive a form at the start of this year and like an idiot, I believed them.

I went to the main office today and it was kind of pointless. The main Revenue Department seems to be mostly just office worker types. I had the usual runaround where people pointed me to different offices and floors and everyone seemed baffled by what I wanted. I finally got directed to a building right next to Soi Ari and the guy said I needed the withholding tax certificate. Plus some other stuff it was hard to hear. They didn't even seem to have computers on their desks.

Basically, it was a wasted trip. I live near the BTS in Prakanong, so going to Ari wasn't too bad. I would take my wife but she has a job. I will get the form and try your links, thanks. I knew it was going to be slightly more involved than it should be! Happily I only have to do it this once. I also hope, I can do it all in time.

Thanks again though, this is really helpful.

You need to register as income tax payer, if you're not are not already registered, your tax number is/will be the same as your alien ID-number.

You need to fill in the ภ.ง.ด.91, or ภ.ง.ด.90, tax return form before end of March and pay any outstanding income tax.

There is a handy income tax calculator HERE.

If you have been living in Thailand for more than 180 days last year, you should be eligible for full tax deductions.

There is a tax booklet (2017-18) HERE, a short overview, but might be helpful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

You need to register as income tax payer, if you're not are not already registered, your tax number is/will be the same as your alien ID-number.

You need to fill in the ภ.ง.ด.91, or ภ.ง.ด.90, tax return form before end of March and pay any outstanding income tax.

There is a handy income tax calculator HERE.

If you have been living in Thailand for more than 180 days last year, you should be eligible for full tax deductions.

There is a tax booklet (2017-18) HERE, a short overview, but might be helpful.

This is great thanks. I finally got in touch with my HR department and will mention all this. I will read through the booklet.  I need to find out if redundancy payments are included and things like that. Thanks again though, most appreciated.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jrward42 said:

This is great thanks. I finally got in touch with my HR department and will mention all this. I will read through the booklet.  I need to find out if redundancy payments are included and things like that. Thanks again though, most appreciated.

If you've got your tax ID, do the whole thing on the revenue department website. Last time I did that a few years ago everything was easy enough in Chrome with translate but it will be even easier if you have a Thai speaker to help you. No need to worry about finding out if redundancy pay is included because you just have to declare everything and the correct calculation is done automatically. I'm sure that's also true when using the app but I've never tried it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

If you've got your tax ID, do the whole thing on the revenue department website. Last time I did that a few years ago everything was easy enough in Chrome with translate but it will be even easier if you have a Thai speaker to help you. No need to worry about finding out if redundancy pay is included because you just have to declare everything and the correct calculation is done automatically. I'm sure that's also true when using the app but I've never tried it.

That will be my backup plan. I need to find out how much tax was withheld from my salary first. I think I might be able to persuade the HR people to do it all for me. That is my main plan. Hopefully it won't be too much. Cheers though.