London police face backlash after dragging mourners from vigil for murdered woman

webfact

16 hours ago, roo860 said:

This post needs highlighting, a charming clip of the crowd shouting ‘<deleted> the police”. Well, we all grieve differently I suppose. 

Just the kind of respectful and dignified vigil Sarah’s family will highly appreciate, I’m sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I think the evidence of the ACAB signs leans weight on a hijacked peaceful demonstration and i don't think genuine women and men shout all cops are bas..... in the face of officers in peaceful mournful protests. Check out youtube for it if you like

I didn’t ask for evidence of ACAB signs, those are clearly visible.

You stated:

“People I saw there were just the usual rent a mob”

Where is your evidence that protestors were paid to attend?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, realfunster said:

This post needs highlighting, a charming clip of the crowd shouting ‘<deleted> the police”. Well, we all grieve differently I suppose. 

Just the kind of respectful and dignified vigil Sarah’s family will highly appreciate, I’m sure.

Yes, we all grieve differently, and we all make our arguments differently.

I for example do not assume a moral high ground on the basis of somebody else’s grieving family.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

More of your off topic BLM thing, and imaginary events from which you draw ‘conclusions’. 

If you can't see the inconsistency between the way BLM were policed and this group was policed then I can't take you too seriously. Or maybe you simply support the political bias shown by The Met because you share their the political stance?

Maybe pictures would be easier to understand? Or am I imagining what happened below?

Protesting the killing of George Floyd (for which a US cop has been arrested). Take a knee.

image.png.225171170a9a75484c73dfc4e7064949.png

A vigil for the murder of Sarah Everard (for which a UK cop has been arrested). Violence and arrests.

image.png.025c1db5d1a0e52589fa41b9f93be63a.png

Yes nothing to see here, perfectly consistent. Move along please ????.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, polpott said:

Don't forget the Grenfell debacle when most people were of the opinion that she should have been dismissed.

I thought it was Dany Cotton, the then female chief of the London Fire Department, that got pilloried for her operations command shortcomings at Grenfell. How did the MET get involved? Were they telling people to stay in their rooms as well?

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Were the women holding a vigil for Sarah Everard threatening and scary? Hardly...

They were party to an illegal public gathering which the police are duty bound to take care of. As I said earlier, the organizers of this vigil have a lot to answer for. They held consultations with the Met who advised against it. The Met was probably well aware that the screaming men-hating harridans "activists" who couldn't give a fig about Sarah Everhard's memory would tag along.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OswaldBastable said:

Policing in England has always (or at least since the miners strike) been driven by government diktat, I don't believe the differences in police actions at these events were by the choice of the troops, but by decree from above. This level of mass policing costs a lot of money and must be approved at the highest levels, with comprehensive orders and instructions given to the front line troops.

After a series of rubbish Met Chiefs after Boris kicked out the 'red' incumbent when he was mayor back in 2008, Cressida Dick is held in high regard by the rank and file she commands. However, the current Mayor isn't one of her fans so a bit surprising to see Boris's comments couched in the terms of being "concerned" especially since Khan and Pratel have both been publicly critical of the Met chiefs responses in the interim.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

I thought it was Dany Cotton, the then female chief of the London Fire Department, that got pilloried for her operations command shortcomings at Grenfell. How did the MET get involved? Were they telling people to stay in their rooms as well?

Dick spoke to the press outside grenfell and basically tried to shift the blame onto the residents.

Like the women who make up around 46% of the staff at HALO who do mine clearance in the world's former war zones?

Pull your head in you misogynist.

So you've read a Guardian or a BBC fem-piece about HALO. Good boy. Only when I google images of "HALO mine clearance" I see mostly geezers on the fields. I'm sure women make up at least 46% of the clerical staff though. Did the Guardian or the BBC fembots also lament that those women were only earning 80% on the dollar?

Never mind, I'll have another look at constructions workers and king crab fishermen next time. What with the hard hats it's difficult to see whether they're men or women isn't it?

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

They were party to an illegal public gathering which the police are duty bound to take care of. As I said earlier, the organizers of this vigil have a lot to answer for. They held consultations with the Met who advised against it. The Met was probably well aware that the screaming men-hating harridans "activists" who couldn't give a fig about Sarah Everhard's memory would tag along.

Other illegal protests taking place at the height of Covid were allowed to continue. This one was stopped with OTT violence.

It is inconsistent policing and hence the backlash.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Other illegal protests taking place at the height of Covid were allowed to continue. This one was stopped with OTT violence.

It is inconsistent policing and hence the backlash.

So let them address this one-off instance of "OTT violence" without throwing people under the gender bus or playing party politics.

This vigil, like the earlier protests by BLM and Extinction Rebellion, was illegal. Stop trying to hold up the Met's broader acquiescence to the much larger and potentially far more disruptive earlier illegal protests as some sort of precedent for allowing this one. If the alleged murderer had not been a serving Met officer, would the more rowdy activists stayed home? The ones that spit on cops I mean?

This illegal vigil was hijacked, an act that the Met probably saw as an inevitability. The organizers by going silent and not broadly touting the doorstep vigil alternative and or encouraging people not to attend are culpable. Maybe some of them wanted a confrontation and by staying silent, they got it.

People attended the event knowing it was illegal therefore it's their inconsistent appreciation of laws put in place that are meant to protect that is the root cause. It is wilful law breaking based on the flawed premise that, "We got away with it before."

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

So let them address this one-off instance of "OTT violence" without throwing people under the gender bus or playing party politics.

Its the party politics that created the dichotomy that led to the backlash.

The rest of the post is verbal gymnastics which appears to be designed to blame the police's inconsistency on the protestors.

• Haha 1

Google tells me in the UK you are 23 times more likely to die at work if you're male, researches put this down to men traditionally doing the more dangerous and unsafe jobs. This is also why these jobs pay more, not because of male privilege or a sympathetic public, but due to industrial action.

Similarly you're about 3 times more likely to be murdered if your male in the UK and males are way ahead as victims of assault.

The idea that women only feel unsafe isn't backed by stats. It gets a bit annoying after a while.

Women are more likely to be assaulted or killed by a family member, generally they are more likely to be sexually assaulted, unless you are in the US, which may be the only country where more men are raped than women https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/cifamerica/2012/feb/21/us-more-men-raped-than-women

Pointing this out isn't misogyny.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Smithson said:

Google tells me in the UK you are 23 times more likely to die at work if you're male, researches put this down to men traditionally doing the more dangerous and unsafe jobs. This is also why these jobs pay more, not because of male privilege or a sympathetic public, but due to industrial action.

Similarly you're about 3 times more likely to be murdered if your male in the UK and males are way ahead as victims of assault.

The idea that women only feel unsafe isn't backed by stats. It gets a bit annoying after a while.

Women are more likely to be assaulted or killed by a family member, generally they are more likely to be sexually assaulted, unless you are in the US, which may be the only country where more men are raped than women https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/cifamerica/2012/feb/21/us-more-men-raped-than-women

Pointing this out isn't misogyny.

Remind me.

Is it men or is it women doing most of the raping and killing?

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The rest of the post is verbal gymnastics which appears to be designed to blame the police's inconsistency on the protestors.

What ‘Party Politics’?

The Tories have been in government for over a decade.

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What ‘Party Politics’?

The Tories have been in government for over a decade.

You might want to research the role the Mayor of London plays in the policing of London.

Then check where he stands politically on things such as statue removal and the George Floyd protests. Then look at the inconsistencies in policing that have led to this backlash.

You really don't need to be Inspector Clouseau on this one ????.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This vigil, like the earlier protests by BLM and Extinction Rebellion, was illegal. Stop trying to hold up the Met's broader acquiescence to the much larger and potentially far more disruptive earlier illegal protests as some sort of precedent for allowing this one. If the alleged murderer had not been a serving Met officer, would the more rowdy activists stayed home? The ones that spit on cops I mean?

This illegal vigil was hijacked, an act that the Met probably saw as an inevitability. The organizers by going silent and not broadly touting the doorstep vigil alternative and or encouraging people not to attend are culpable. Maybe some of them wanted a confrontation and by staying silent, they got it.

People attended the event knowing it was illegal therefore it's their inconsistent appreciation of laws put in place that are meant to protect that is the root cause. It is wilful law breaking based on the flawed premise that, "We got away with it before."

The police frequently choose when and when not to ‘enforce’ the law and also choose how they wish to ‘enforce’ the law.

In this particular case they made an choice bordering on idiocy.

The image of a young 5’ 2” tall woman being forced to the floor and handcuffed while protesting a police officer kidnapping and murdering a young woman is a damning one.

She wasn’t a threat to anyone, who wasn’t spitting on or attacking police.

What she was doing is speaking about the failings of the police and law to protect women against male violence - worse still people were listening to her.

Nice try with the ‘sin of omission’ thing.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You might want to research the role the Mayor of London plays in the policing of London.

Then check where he stands politically on things such as statue removal and the George Floyd protests. Then look at the inconsistencies in policing that have led to this backlash.

You really don't need to be Inspector Clouseau on this one ????.

You might want to check the fact that the Home Secretary was in constant contact with the Met Chief, before and during this incident. She refuses to release minutes of meetings or provide any detail of he discussions with the police over this time.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You might want to check the fact that the Home Secretary was in constant contact with the Commissioner of Police, before and during this incident. She refuses to release minutes of meetings or provide any detail of he discussions with the police over this time.

Well if you don't know what was said there isn't much to check, is there? I suspect she would have been roundly condemning the police's overly violent response.

However, as nice a deflection as it was, your point is irrelevant to the London mayor's role in policing and his personal political views which appear to be perfectly aligned with the police's response to the various disparate groups of protesters.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

If you are suggesting that Cressida Dick's appointment in 2017 was merely party politics, with her selection being publicly endorsed by the then Tory home secretary, Amber Rudd, and the Labour London mayor, Sadiq Khan, I wonder which political party was disaffected?

Maybe it was this lot?

"After the events of the last few days, there are calls for the resignations of the Home Secretary, Priti Patel, the Metropolitan Police Commissioner, Cressida Dick, and the London Mayor, Sadiq Khan. I don’t think anyone would be too upset if there were resignations but for anarchists, the problems of policing are not about individuals. The problems will persist, whoever is in charge. ..."

https://freedomnews.org.uk/the-political-policing-of-cressida-dick/

Fill your boots!

51 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You missed the point completely. There was a faction of essentially non-mourning activists that took over the always illegal vigil. The organizers grief, altruism and empathy blinded them to the fact that those with a differing agenda could easily turn events ugly. And they did.

The chronology of the Met's much speculated volte-face on their prior agreement to let the peaceful vigil go ahead will no doubt be under the microscope on any inquiry. One of the Met's finest attributes is having a pretty good ear to the ground when it comes to radicals, activists, criminals and ne'erdowells. The tax payer expects nothing less of the police force entrusted with their safety. There's a very good chance that their grapevine indicated the real threat of activist involvement and probably mentioned this as a credible threat to the vigil organizers who they advised against holding the vigil. When the organizers didn't like being told no, they decided to take it to court. And lost.

The rest as they say is (mostly predictable) history.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 2:04 PM, colinneil said:

This thread is about the met polices actions regarding mourners at a vigil, and Their bosses pathetic response, so why are you trying to derail the thread, bringing in women are better bosses than men, when it is nothing to do with this thread.

Yes, the inflammatory headline has an impact.

London police face backlash after dragging mourners from vigil for murdered womanI

London police face backlash after enforcing the law and dragging people away from an illegal gathering.

wouldn't have quite the same effect would it?

The fact that some of them may have been mourners is irrelevant.

The fact that a woman was killed is terrible but the fact that the suspect is a police officer is also irrelevant.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Remind me.

Is it men or is it women doing most of the raping and killing?

Shifting the goal posts again.

Why didn't you point out in my post above about HALO that it's men who laid the mines in the first place?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, polpott said:

Dick spoke to the press outside grenfell and basically tried to shift the blame onto the residents.

Well she had a point I guess because the unmaintained fridge belonged to a tenant.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3