could anyone recommend a online bank..i have a thai account plus account in Europe but want to close  close my account in UK as i believe the bank will soon be asking me to i no longer have address there .. I simply need an account to transfer a fair amount of money into that at the moment i dont need and to be able to have my pension paid into as i retire soon..any bank that also pays any interest at all will be good as my account in uk is 0%  thanks 

23 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

could anyone recommend a online bank

My UK on-line bank has no problem me living Thailand with no UK address.

You should be able to transfer your existing uk bank a/c to another bank so contact First Direct on-line bank. They are member of the HSBC.

You can message me if they asked who recommended them it may help as I have been with them since they started up. Good-luck.

https://www1.firstdirect.com/banking/ways-to-bank/online-banking/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

You should be able to transfer your existing uk bank a/c to another bank so contact First Direct on-line bank. They are member of the HSBC.

You can message me if they asked who recommended them it may help as I have been with them since they started up. Good-luck.

Thanks mate wiil do ill let you know how i get on 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

With whom do you have a Thai account? I'm sure all main Thai banks have on-line banking facilities. 

I have been living abroad, with no UK address for the last 15 years but my UK bank has not threatened to close my account so far. I do keep it active.

However, if you do wish to close your UK account, I'd suggest a borderless account with Wise. (formally TransferWise) You can have any UK incomes, such as pensions paid directly into there and then transfer your money into your Thai account. I've been doing this for 2 years now without a hitch.

Thanks mate ill take a look at it  ..yes they do have online but was looking for something away from thailand ..ive had a mail from Barclays  saying they are renewing their policies...also since i dont have an address its not possible to have a new card sent here ..

22 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

Thanks mate wiil do ill let you know how i get on 

Unfortunately, I don't share the optimism for getting a new UK bank account opened if you are not resident in the UK.

Transferwise (or "Wise" as they are now known) is an exception to this, but it does not offer full banking services.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Hmmm......... this from the link that you provided:-

Opening an account

first direct 1st Account and other services are not available for business use.

Applicants must be aged 18 or over. Calls may be monitored and/or recorded for training/security purposes. All applicants must have a private telephone and a UK residential addressfirst direct has a Minicom Text Telephone Number which is  03 456 100 147.

We reserve the right to decline to offer you an account.

first direct credit facilities are subject to status.

https://www1.firstdirect.com/legals/important-notes/

1 hour ago, Harveyboy said:

Thanks mate ill take a look at it  ..yes they do have online but was looking for something away from thailand ..ive had a mail from Barclays  saying they are renewing their policies...also since i dont have an address its not possible to have a new card sent here ..

Why don't you open and pay for a rented mailbox   with a private company?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

Opening an account

first direct has a Minicom Text Telephone Number which is  03 456 100 147.

Hmmm exactly seeing as there HSBC with a head office in Asia.  OP may get lucky don't ask don't get. As a UK citizen best to telephone and discuss the problem you are in and may help I don't know.

Barclay's I was with for over 50 years wouldn't keep my a/c open.

Nationwide building society was OK but needed a UK address to post to and they wouldn't renew my credit card.

As FD said to me they are allowed to use there discretion on who they open or continue an account with and who they issued credit cards to.  As I was an existing customer and private pensions pay to them monthly it has not been a problem. 

They won't let me borrow money though. ????

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

He's not a UK resident which is a requirement of First Direct for new customers.

"My UK on-line bank has no problem me living Thailand with no UK address."

If you specifically told your UK bank that you're not a UK resident their opinion would soon change.

4 hours ago, Maliproto said:

He's not a UK resident which is a requirement of First Direct for new customers.

If you specifically told your UK bank that you're not a UK resident their opinion would soon change.

You are so wrong and just another here who assumes something like so many here who think they know it all.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Hmmm exactly seeing as there HSBC with a head office in Asia.  OP may get lucky don't ask don't get. As a UK citizen best to telephone and discuss the problem you are in and may help I don't know.

Barclay's I was with for over 50 years wouldn't keep my a/c open.

Nationwide building society was OK but needed a UK address to post to and they wouldn't renew my credit card.

As FD said to me they are allowed to use there discretion on who they open or continue an account with and who they issued credit cards to.  As I was an existing customer and private pensions pay to them monthly it has not been a problem. 

They won't let me borrow money though. ????

HSBC are headquartered in London and they will not open accounts for non-residents. First Direct will have the same rules. Regrettably, personal introductions, or references, have counted for nothing for many years. . I worked for HSBC and my main account is with them, receiving pension and dividends. 

I have a UK address where Nationwide correspondence is sent. Their Visa card remains the best for currency transactions. Post Office card is my back up for that and interest free currency purchase can be made at the Post Office. Other bank accounts with Barclays, Halifax and Nat West plus card accounts with Santander, Virgin, TESCO  and M&S are linked to a UK address (courtesy of an amicable ex-wife).

What about neobanks? Assuming you don't want either credit or a mortgage (or interest, but then the possibility of negative interest rates makes that pretty unattractive), they are a far better bet than your HSBC/Barclays etc cabal.

I have been with N26 for years - use it together with Tfrwise and they work seamlessly. You'll need an EU address, so if you're a Brexit maniac it's not for you......... There are several good banks without wasteful high-street premises but covered by the relevant laws and controls.

I think there is a nuance with Wise that it's not insured the same way as a regular bank.  Meaning if Wise does under, you are unlikely to get your money back.  I may be wrong on some of that but that's what I remember.  So recommending to use it as a temporary transfer account only and not leave any large amounts there for too long.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Moonlover said:

With whom do you have a Thai account? I'm sure all main Thai banks have on-line banking facilities. 

I have been living abroad, with no UK address for the last 15 years but my UK bank has not threatened to close my account so far. I do keep it active.

However, if you do wish to close your UK account, I'd suggest a borderless account with Wise. (formally TransferWise) You can have any UK incomes, such as pensions paid directly into there and then transfer your money into your Thai account. I've been doing this for 2 years now without a hitch.

And in multiple currencies within the same account. I have in my Wise account Sterling, Thai Baht and Euros. Used it for over a year now and never had a problem. From my experience it is excellent.

• Like 2

You could try the offshore arms of the main UK banks, usually based in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man. They give you full access to sending and receiving sterling with rest of UK and have online banking etc. They are intended for expats so you don't need a UK address but there may be restrictions on opening new accounts from certain countries because of licensing regulations. E.g. I opened my Natwest Intl a/c when I lived in Singapore and while I can continue to use it from Thailand, I can't open any new accounts with them. 

21 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

could anyone recommend a online bank..i have a thai account plus account in Europe but want to close  close my account in UK as i believe the bank will soon be asking me to i no longer have address there .. I simply need an account to transfer a fair amount of money into that at the moment i dont need and to be able to have my pension paid into as i retire soon..any bank that also pays any interest at all will be good as my account in uk is 0%  thanks 

I also have a UK bank account but no UK address never any problems so long as I use the account occasionally. The bank (HSBC) is quite content to send cards etc. to me here in Thailand.

I wouldn't worry about it 'til the bank starts complaining if I were you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bartender100 said:

Got this from Google

If you want to open a bank-like UK account without proof of address, Wise, Monese, Revolut and Monzo are a few online services that will set up a UK account without proof of residency.16 Apr 2020

I have both Wise Borderless & Revolut. So easy to do transfers etc.

10 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I have a UK address where Nationwide correspondence is sent. Their Visa card remains the best for currency transactions.

Have you seen the comparison page on Wises' site. Nationwide...........no thanks!

Nationwise send correspondence to my Thai address.

I

Edited by KannikaP

15 hours ago, Kwasaki said:
19 hours ago, Maliproto said:

Expand  

You are so wrong and just another here who assumes something like so many here who think they know it all.

Yes, I'm so wrong and you're so right!   From First Direct's website...

Who can apply?

You. Probably. If you're over 18, a UK resident, haven't been declared bankrupt or registered for an Individual Voluntary Agreement in the last six years (or be in the process of doing so), and have a phone number and email address we can contact you with, we'd love to welcome you.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Opening an account

Applicants must be aged 18 or over. Calls may be monitored and/or recorded for training/security purposes. All applicants must have a private telephone and a UK residential addressfirst direct has a Minicom Text Telephone Number which is  03 456 100 147.

https://www1.firstdirect.com/legals/important-notes/

uk residential address  don't have only Thai uk phone don't! have only thai not looking good there eh 

12 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

HSBC are headquartered in London and they will not open accounts for non-residents. First Direct will have the same rules. Regrettably, personal introductions, or references, have counted for nothing for many years. . I worked for HSBC and my main account is with them, receiving pension and dividends. 

I have a UK address where Nationwide correspondence is sent. Their Visa card remains the best for currency transactions. Post Office card is my back up for that and interest free currency purchase can be made at the Post Office. Other bank accounts with Barclays, Halifax and Nat West plus card accounts with Santander, Virgin, TESCO  and M&S are linked to a UK address (courtesy of an amicable ex-wife).

I said HQ HSBC because they are owned by China and belong to the Hong Kong Shanghai bank Corporation. So FD being a member why not continue an on-line bank a/c if an existing UK citizen who moves to Asia. 

Good for you if you're happy with your banking situation in Thailand.  

I'm happy with FD they have always been more than accommodating in the past than other stuck up banks and management.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Disparate Dan said:

What about neobanks? Assuming you don't want either credit or a mortgage (or interest, but then the possibility of negative interest rates makes that pretty unattractive), they are a far better bet than your HSBC/Barclays etc cabal.

I have been with N26 for years - use it together with Tfrwise and they work seamlessly. You'll need an EU address, so if you're a Brexit maniac it's not for you......... There are several good banks without wasteful high-street premises but covered by the relevant laws and controls.

problem is don't have address outside of thailand  at the moment i have a bank account in France .not to pushy but Barclays Well.!!! the main problem is if Barclays make me close account i have dd to pay bills and would need a bank where my pension can be paid into at a later date .. don't need loans.. mortgage..credit just a bank for its services 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maliproto said:

Yes, I'm so wrong and you're so right!   From First Direct's website...

Who can apply?

You. Probably. If you're over 18, a UK resident, haven't been declared bankrupt or registered for an Individual Voluntary Agreement in the last six years (or be in the process of doing so), and have a phone number and email address we can contact you with, we'd love to welcome you.

Apologies for being a bit blunt before but yeah I  hope OP can set up something, there's some good info from others here. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2021 at 12:30 PM, Kwasaki said:

looks good what they offer but when i tried to register told me must be UK resident ..tks