Have you thought about Transferwise? A lot of people I know use it, it is more of a holding account, and you just transfer the funds when you need them, you can also get a credit card from them.

I also use it sent money to my wifes account, rate was okay and fees not too bad, took around 2 working days to get to my wifes account (I sent from another account to Transferwise then onto her), I can send you a link via messenger and you get the first 500GBP transfered free.

Note - you can register in Thailand, and set up a GBP account with just your passport.

Edited by beano2274
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

looks good what they offer but when i tried to register told me must be UK resident ..tks 

My guess is because I was an existing customer and my UK private pensions provider refused to pay into my Thai bank a/c they help me out,  I find it strange when there backed by Hong Kong owners and they won't help others. 

Have you lived in UK at all and can provide an address.

Have you tried telephoning them saying you need a UK bank to pay money into,  on-line is dealing with robots. 

Looks like best and easier to go with Wise which was Transferwise.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Thanks 1

I retired here over 10years ago with no UK address but have still maintained by Nationwide account which receives my pension every month.

Never a hint of them saying anything about closing it, they post my debit card renewals to my Thai address.

I use their online banking to send money here via TransferWise, now known as Wise.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

I retired here over 10years ago with no UK address but have still maintained by Nationwide account which receives my pension every month.

Never a hint of them saying anything about closing it, they post my debit card renewals to my Thai address.

I use their online banking to send money here via TransferWise, now known as Wise.

Also have Nationwide accounts (bank + credit card) linked to my Thai address. Again no issues with cards being sent to Thailand.

Only issue with them is they require a UK mobile for OTP verification purposes. The other option is to use their card reader with debit card but surprised that, unlike some other UK banks I deal with, they still insist on UK mobiles, even though overseas addresses are acceptable.  

6 hours ago, Muhendis said:

I also have a UK bank account but no UK address never any problems so long as I use the account occasionally. The bank (HSBC) is quite content to send cards etc. to me here in Thailand.

I wouldn't worry about it 'til the bank starts complaining if I were you.

I agree 100% with that.

Unfortunately, the issue here is Harveyboy trying to OPEN a UK bank account with evidencing a UK address - that will simply NOT happen with any mainstream bank,

Transferwise now Wise but if you need a card you will need a trusted friend or relative to send it to you. Just like a normal on line bank so pensions can be transferred to it and payments made in the UK and elsewhere plus of course world beating exchange service1

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I agree 100% with that.

Unfortunately, the issue here is Harveyboy trying to OPEN a UK bank account with evidencing a UK address - that will simply NOT happen with any mainstream bank,

Ah, yes. Thanks for the clarification. Agree entirely.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

We know that guru I was just trying to help because I am not a UK resident I am a English citizen and have a UK bank a/c with FD.

Why are you so helpful,

I would imagine that you are a non-resident British citizen.

It is in my nature.

I don't like to see people confused by speculation and half-truths................................ or even false information.

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

My guess is because I was an existing customer and my UK private pensions provider refused to pay into my Thai bank a/c they help me out,  I find it strange when there backed by Hong Kong owners and they won't help others. 

Have you lived in UK at all and can provide an address.

Have you tried telephoning them saying you need a UK bank to pay money into,  on-line is dealing with robots. 

Looks like best and easier to go with Wise which was Transferwise.

the address is the problem not lived there for 35 yesrsi still have an account with barclays but for how much longer i font knowthey are cutting down on non uk resident

11 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

the address is the problem not lived there for 35 yesrsi still have an account with barclays but for how much longer i font knowthey are cutting down on non uk resident

To my knowledge none of the mainstream banks have had a purfe on non-residents. It is the requirement to be a UK resident for opening a new account that becomes the main issue.

I would suggest the backup of having a (Transfer)Wise account and then consider if you have any relatives/friends in the UK who would be prepared to allow you to use them as a correspondence address.

20 hours ago, dabhand said:

Also have Nationwide accounts (bank + credit card) linked to my Thai address. Again no issues with cards being sent to Thailand.

Only issue with them is they require a UK mobile for OTP verification purposes. The other option is to use their card reader with debit card but surprised that, unlike some other UK banks I deal with, they still insist on UK mobiles, even though overseas addresses are acceptable.  

I would say Nationwide branch managers are different in area branches, I discontinued my account in Watford because they wanted a UK address to post letters to. As I have already said they wouldn't renew my credit card when it ran out.

20 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

the address is the problem not lived there for 35 years still have an account with Barclays but for how much longer i font know they are cutting down on non uk resident

Shame really but banks can be very unhelpful.

I would go with setting up with " Wise" if I were in your position.

Goodluck.

13 minutes ago, Maliproto said:

HSBC is a British company, it is not "owned by China".

If you google it the HSBC HQ is in London city.

They belong to Hong Kong Shanghai bank Corporation in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong has been handed back over to China.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:
8 minutes ago, Maliproto said:

HSBC is a British company, it is not "owned by China".

If you google it the HSBC HQ is in London city.

They belong to Hong Kong Shanghai bank Corporation in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong has been handed back over to China.

HSBC is a British company, based in London.   Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation is a wholly owned subsidiary of HSBC.

Both HSBC and Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation are British companies, the fact that Hong Kong has been handed back to China does not make them Chinese companies or owned by China.

22 minutes ago, Maliproto said:

HSBC is a British company, based in London.   Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation is a wholly owned subsidiary of HSBC.

Both HSBC and Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation are British companies, the fact that Hong Kong has been handed back to China does not make them Chinese companies or owned by China.

OP can go to " Wise" I wish him well.

OP apparently can't do what my strange self and others here do whatever and have a UK bank and not live there or have address.

From what I read sometime back my assumption was wrong about the owner being China but it's close. 

On 1 April 2007, the mainland China offices of The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation transferred to its subsidiary HSBC Bank (China), and it started operations on 2 April.

The registered capital and paid-up capital of HSBC Bank (China) is equivalent to RMB8 billion. However, The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation still has a branch in Shanghai, which conducts foreign currency wholesale banking business.

On 3/16/2021 at 1:16 PM, beano2274 said:

Have you thought about Transferwise? A lot of people I know use it, it is more of a holding account, and you just transfer the funds when you need them, you can also get a credit card from them.

I also use it sent money to my wifes account, rate was okay and fees not too bad, took around 2 working days to get to my wifes account (I sent from another account to Transferwise then onto her), I can send you a link via messenger and you get the first 500GBP transfered free.

Note - you can register in Thailand, and set up a GBP account with just your passport.

i have GBP and euro account in thailand but its 1% ti take out if in sterling or you van take out no charge in baht but the rate is low  

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 12:08 PM, Kwasaki said:

OP can go to " Wise" I wish him well.

OP apparently can't do what my strange self and others here do whatever and have a UK bank and not live there or have address.

From what I read sometime back my assumption was wrong about the owner being China but it's close. 

On 1 April 2007, the mainland China offices of The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation transferred to its subsidiary HSBC Bank (China), and it started operations on 2 April.

The registered capital and paid-up capital of HSBC Bank (China) is equivalent to RMB8 billion. However, The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation still has a branch in Shanghai, which conducts foreign currency wholesale banking business.

didn't day can't have one I've got one but had mails from barclsys stating they are changing their policies..just want a back up on case they decide to close my account i have DD that go out each month this could cause a big problem thanks for the reply  

• Thanks 1