Yes, Covid Extensions After 30 March are Being Granted

3 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Obviously these extensions will end someday, but someday isn't at least until 29 May.

The 30th of this month is the last day they can be applied for at this time. You could apply for a 60 day extension on 30th.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, JayClay said:

No there haven't.

[quote]People wondered if yet another extension was possible[/quote]

No they didn't.

It's been common knowledge for a long time that 60 day extensions can be obtained up until the end of March.

I suggest this thread is locked, or at the very least renamed because the title is extremely misleading.

Like the others, you miss the point. Because you fail to understand the circumstances of those to whom such extensions matter does not make it wrong nor call for a thread lock. My post is aimed at an admittedly shrinking universe of people who entered Thailand on Tourist Visas before 22 March 2020. They have been on a set schedule, originally falling under the Visa Amnesty that first ended 31 May 2020, was extended by the Cabinet to 31 July, extended again by the Cabinet (and officially posted in the Gazette, like the other amnesties), until 30 September 2020. At that point the matter was turned over to Immigration, who decided that such people would be given 60-day extensions if they desired. Each of these extensions was not a certainty. The first---which many self proclaimed 'experts' said would be the last---ended 30 November. Immigration decided to allow another one, ending January 31. After that they added yet one more, which ends 30 March.

No official announcements are ever made regarding these extensions, and these extraordinary extensions will end at some point.  There are many people whose existing extension ends 30 March. Most will wonder, and wait until 30 March approaches, to know if yet another extraordinary extension will be granted. I went early to check, as I would need to change my flight schedule if no new extension was to be granted. What you call 'common knowledge' is hardly official Immigration policy. In fact, many people who have been granted these extensions have been told by Immigration Officers---in Sept 2020, n Nov 2020, or Jan 2021---that 'this is it; no more extensions. Obviously those statements have been proven false, and likely policy was changed because of the resurgence of the virus both in the rest of the world and even in Thailand after the incident in Samut Prakan.

These extraordinary extensions have resulted in a host of new forms being provided by Immigration, which include an affidavit where an applicant requests an extension based on "Covid-19".

Originally there were several hundred thousand people in Thailand on short term visas who were first granted amnesty, then permitted to apply for these extraordinary extensions. Over time the numbers have fallen, but thousands still remain. My hotel has many, and when I go to Immigration to extend, I meet many there, each of whom goes wondering if yet another extension is available.

It seems many consider themselves experts when in fact they are nothing of the sort. That this matter does not apply to you is wonderful. It does apply to others, and it was for them I posted. You are welcome to ignore it.

Edited by Walker88
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Timeline:

Feb-Mar 2020:  Millions of people are in Thailand on Tourist Visas (and other short term visas). The Pandemic begins.

22 March 2020: Suvarnabhumi is closed to new entries.

Sometime in the March-April period of 2020: The Thai Govt announces a 'visa amnesty' for those on Tourist and other visas caught in Thailand as flights are cancelled and the airport is closed. This first amnesty, approved by the Cabinet and made official when posted in the Gazette, would end 31 May.

Some time in late May 2020: The Cabinet approves a second visa amnesty, which will end 31 July.

Sometime in late July 2020: The Cabinet approves a third amnesty, which will end on 30 September.

Late September 2020: The first extraordinary 60-day "Covid-19" extensions are granted by Immigration. This extension, a good many being utilized by those on 30 or 60 day Tourist Visas and in Thailand since before 22 March 2020, allows the foreigner to remain in Thailand until 30 November. Some people are told 'this is the sole extension'.

By late November Immigration has begun granting a second 60-day extension, which will permit applicants to remain in Thailand until 31 January 2021. While the original amnesty and subsequent extensions were ostensibly enacted/permitted because of flight cancellations or closed foreign borders, these new extensions were granted simply because the Covid pandemic was raging worldwide and many people---even those on Tourist Visas---preferred the relative safety of Thailand. Thai authorities were kind and generous enough to grant these extensions, despite the fact that until the pandemic, Tourist Visa holders were permitted only a single extension of stay. Again, some applicants were told 'this is the last extension'.

By late January Immigration again began granting additional 60 day extensions, allowing applicants to remain in Thailand until 30 March. Again the reason was "Covid-19", and again some were told 'this is the last extension'.

Now, in mid-March, Immigration is granting yet another 60-day extension, which will allow applicants to remain until 29 May. Up until recently it was uncertain that a new extension would be allowed, though many expected one would.

Note that there are many people utilizing both the original amnesties and these extraordinary extensions, who entered Thailand on 30 or 60 day Tourist Visas before 22 March 2020. These people have now been resident in Thailand for a full year, despite the original short term visa. These people are here legally (under the extraordinary circumstances of the pandemic), and are contributing to the Thai economy by residing in hotels, taking their meals in restaurants, renting cars on occasion, buying clothing and other items, using gyms, and helping to keep many Thai people gainfully employed. It may be a small contribution in the grand scheme of things, but it is a win-win nonetheless. In my own case my records show I have spent over 3.5 million baht in the year, money that otherwise would not have entered the Thai economy. I have also felt much safer in Thailand than I would have in my home country, where the pandemic has killed almost 550,000.

Perhaps many readers of this site are unaware that such foreign residents exist, or that such people search for information and answers every 60 days as to whether they will continue to be allowed to remain in Thailand. Well, these people do exist, and that is why I posted, so that any of them who read this forum would know that yet another 60-day extraordinary extension is being granted now that will allow them to remain until 29 May.

• Haha 2

Nearly two months ago they announced that it's possible to apply for the 60 day extension until 30th March, since then there was nothing uncertain about it.

How long people will be allowed to stay depends on at which date their previous permission to stay ended. Some people might get an extension only until April, while for others it might take them into June, contrary to what you say there is no fixed "29th May limit". The only fixed thing is that it's possible to apply for this extension until 30th March.

Edited by jackdd

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Nearly two months ago they announced that it's possible to apply for the 60 day extension until 30th March, since then there was nothing uncertain about it.

How long people will be allowed to stay depends on at which date their previous permission to stay ended. Some people might get an extension only until April, while for others it might take them into June, contrary to what you say there is no fixed "29th May limit". The only fixed thing is that it's possible to apply for this extension until 30th March.

I have seen in other posts where the actual resident expert--- @ubonjoe ---noted that 'extensions after 30 March are likely' or some such verbiage, which is to say not a certainty. If there had been some official announcement---and there may have been---I would have expected that ubonjoe would be aware of that and used 'definite' rather than likely.

My understanding is that 'official announcements' are what is printed in the Gazette, as only publication there makes anything official.

Perhaps you have a link to the official announcement from Immigration.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

I have seen in other posts where the actual resident expert--- @ubonjoe ---noted that 'extensions after 30 March are likely' or some such verbiage, which is to say not a certainty. If there had been some official announcement---and there may have been---I would have expected that ubonjoe would be aware of that and used 'definite' rather than likely.

I assume he was referring to a possible extension of the current order for another two months, meaning (if immigration should do this, currently they didn't) people could apply for an extension up until end of May, extending their permission to stay into August in the best case scenario. That it's possible to apply for a 60 day extension until 30th March has been a known fact since 28th January.

My understanding is that 'official announcements' are what is printed in the Gazette, as only publication there makes anything official.

Not small things like this.

Perhaps you have a link to the official announcement from Immigration.

Only to the translation of it:

c.thumb.png.faada95b6203dd42871ff1a4803b9c61.png

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

Thank you. You proved my point, and thus my reason for posting.

As there has been no 'official announcement', I posted my experience for the benefit of those in my situation who might be unsure. Given that I was just granted an additional extension until 29 May (albeit currently with the 'Under Consideration' stamp requiring a visit two weeks after the date of that stamp), anyone in the same situation reading this can get their documents in order, book an appointment, and head to Immigration to apply for an extension until 29 May.

Just to point out that I've been here on COVID extensions since they began, I applied last month (25th Feb) and my extension expires on the 29th April. There never was any doubt that people could apply UP TO the 30th of this month.

I do hope they're extended once more due to a recent big bill... It may be worth asking your IO what you can do after this. I mention this because Mrs Ubon and I went together last time and got an offer for a long term visa direct from IO - no middle men!

Hey Walker88, Thanks. (you must have a lot of time to respond to all those folks who just wanted to spout their su_________ (fill in the blanks on your own, folks)). I, like you, have my "Under Consideration" stamp and am glad I went on the 16th.

13 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The translation of the official "announcement" is in my previous post.

Yes, I read your post. it says 'until the end of March'.

My post is about AFTER the end of March. As @ubonjoe pointed out, there has yet to be an official announcement regarding AFTER the end of March. I wrote my post to inform those waiting to see if the extensions would be allowed AFTER the end of March, that this is, in fact, happening, despite no official announcement as yet.

I'm puzzled why this difference---'end of March' vs until end of May---is so difficult to understand.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Hey Walker88, Thanks. (you must have a lot of time to respond to all those folks who just wanted to spout their su_________ (fill in the blanks on your own, folks)). I, like you, have my "Under Consideration" stamp and am glad I went on the 16th.

Well, I'm a bit pedantic, I guess.  My goal is to let those who are here on Tourist Visas, all of whom have been on the exact same schedule (May 31, July 31, September 30 amnesties, then November 30, January 31 and March 30 extraordinary extensions) know that another extraordinary 60-day extension is being granted, which will allow these folks to remain until 29 May.

Other types of visa holders (marriage, ed, etc.) are on their own schedule, and perhaps are only coincidentally on the same schedule as the folks who arrived before 22 March 2020 on Tourist or Visa on Arrival status.

Good you went early and took the uncertainty out of your own situation. My hotel has a number of people under the same circumstances---here on Tourist Visas since the beginning of Covid.

Anyway, those who need to know, and who read this thread, now know. Those confused or who fail to understand the point of my post, will continue to say things totally irrelevant to this thread.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Yes, I read your post. it says 'until the end of March'.

Currently the extension can be applied for until end of March, this could potentially extend the permission of stay to June.

As @ubonjoe pointed out, there has yet to be an official announcement regarding AFTER the end of March

Ubonjoe is talking about an update of the police order, which would allow to apply for an extension in April or May (and would allow people to stay until June, July, or potentially even August), this has nothing to do with applying for an extension before end of March and being granted permission to stay for another 60 days. You just misunderstood him.

I wrote my post to inform those waiting to see if the extensions would be allowed AFTER the end of March, that this is, in fact, happening, despite no official announcement as yet.

Yes of course extensions are given beyond end of March, but you have to apply before end of March. That's what was written in the official police order two months ago, you somehow just fail to understand it. This was by the way already explained by Ubonjoe in the topic which I linked to above 2 months ago, you might want to read his answers there.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

On 3/19/2021 at 2:05 PM, Walker88 said:

No link; I went to Immigration this week and got my "Under Consideration" stamp that allows me to stay until the end of May.

Obviously these extensions will end someday, but someday isn't at least until 29 May.

You clearly do no understand. There is no under consideration stamps that allows anyone to stay 2 months.

You must go again within few days or weeks to get your real stamp until end of may.

your under consideration stamp only allows you until the date written.

21 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Well, I'm a bit pedantic, I guess.  My goal is to let those who are here on Tourist Visas, all of whom have been on the exact same schedule (May 31, July 31, September 30 amnesties, then November 30, January 31 and March 30 extraordinary extensions) know that another extraordinary 60-day extension is being granted, which will allow these folks to remain until 29 May.

Other types of visa holders (marriage, ed, etc.) are on their own schedule, and perhaps are only coincidentally on the same schedule as the folks who arrived before 22 March 2020 on Tourist or Visa on Arrival status.

Good you went early and took the uncertainty out of your own situation. My hotel has a number of people under the same circumstances---here on Tourist Visas since the beginning of Covid.

Anyway, those who need to know, and who read this thread, now know. Those confused or who fail to understand the point of my post, will continue to say things totally irrelevant to this thread.

We're not all on the same schedule. Do you remember the late amnesty announcement in September, announced 3 days after the end of amnesty?

Some folks had to get letters from their embassy. If they couldn't get a letter, then they had to extend their tourist visas by 30 days (IF they hadn't already done so). I was one of those people who extended for 30 days.

If they hadn't bothered to do the extension, then they were laughing because they didn't pay and a further amnesty was announced. If you had an embassy letter, Immigration gave you the extra 30 days back - If you didn't, then you were screwed.

So basically those who did the right thing and didn't overstay were royally shafted. Those who overstayed got lucky with another amnesty. That's why I have 30 days less than you.

So if they announce another covid extension later than the 5th of next month, then i'll have paid a lot of money for a permanent visa and extension a little bit earlier than I needed to. Here's to hoping they extend the covid extensions on time!

Edited by 2530Ubon

5 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

I found the title and content of the OP to be somewhat confusing. By reading the title I thought they allowed foreigners to extend their stay due to covid 19 after March 30. 

If you read the first few posts in this topic you will find it was clarified.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Thank you. You proved my point, and thus my reason for posting.

As there has been no 'official announcement', I posted my experience for the benefit of those in my situation who might be unsure. Given that I was just granted an additional extension until 29 May (albeit currently with the 'Under Consideration' stamp requiring a visit two weeks after the date of that stamp), anyone in the same situation reading this can get their documents in order, book an appointment, and head to Immigration to apply for an extension until 29 May.

Sorry, how do you have an extension until the 29th May? Even if you applied today, you would only get until the 20th May...

8 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Sorry, how do you have an extension until the 29th May? Even if you applied today, you would only get until the 20th May...

He got 60 days from the end of his current extension.

• Thanks 1