proof of return flight for visa purposes

Good day everyone. This is my first post so i hope you will forgive if my questions are in the incorrect forum.

I will be travelling(hopefully) to Thailand in July, this year. I am planning on applying for a tourist visa from the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles. Upon arrival in Thailand, i will be applying for a 9 month Education Visa, with one of the language schools in Pattaya. I have spoken and emailed the school(which receives high marks from students, plus from 2 friends who have attended). They will submit my request for a ED visa for me. 

My question is this: When applying to the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles,  they require proof of a return flight to my home country. Since my tourist visa will be for 60 days, do i book a flight showing a return flight 60 days after departure (i assume the embassy will want exact dates of arrival and departure, since i have to provide them with written flight confirmation) or since i will actual be in Thailand for nearly 1 year, should i book a flight that returns in one year? i am concerned they could deny my visa, because i am applying for a 60 day visa but my  flight itinerary shows a return flight nearly 1 year after arrival.

Your suggestions are very much appreciated.

@jimwah I'd suggest to book your outward bound flight for 60 days after entry as at that is the length of stay you're assured of. Talk to the carrier re changing dates for free or at low cost should the Ed visa plans come to fruition.

Just my personal opinion and I'm sure I'll be put back in my box if I'm speaking BS

• Like 1

Would seem to me, or my thought, would be my usual jump from LAX, as Ive done over a dozen times, to BKK......NEVER ever in those times have I ever had a visa

I have arrived in BKK and gotten the free 30 day stamp, could be 45 days at the moment......then you have that time to go to school in person to check it out

and decide whether to sign up...then take the paperwork to consulate for the ED visa.....or maybe to Laos to thai consulate for visa, ive been there too often.

But my point is I never have had a visa...I see it as why pass up the free 30 day stamp, which is easily extended at a thai immig office for another 30 for $60..

Gives you time to check things out in person and maybe deep dive that school a bit more....or skip the school and just go get your reg visa in laos(thai consulate)

Then can extend that visa as well if u want....or go to any border and hop over and walk back for another free 30-45 days...last I heard they allowed 2 hops..

Ive been doing this since 2008 and been going there yearly,.at LAX they asked me once where my return tix was..I said Id leave after a month...always one way tix

Maybe consider a round-trip ticket on Qatar Airways - they have an extremely flexible change policy - for LAX-DOH-BKK/BKK-DOH-LAX ($1,280 all in) with a return within your CoE window (45/60 days). Then once in Thailand re-arrange your return? You may be subject to a fare increase if your desired fare bucket is sold out. It wouldn't be much more than $200 if anything?

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/travel-with-confidence.html

8 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Would seem to me, or my thought, would be my usual jump from LAX, as Ive done over a dozen times, to BKK......NEVER ever in those times have I ever had a visa

This is more about the requirement for an onward ticket in the current COVID/CoE times. At least that's what I took from the title and OP.

7 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Maybe consider a round-trip ticket on Qatar Airways - they have an extremely flexible change policy - for LAX-DOH-BKK/BKK-DOH-LAX ($1,280 all in) with a return within your CoE window (45/60 days). Then once in Thailand re-arrange your return? You may be subject to a fare increase if your desired fare bucket is sold out. It wouldn't be much more than $200 if anything?

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/travel-with-confidence.html

This is more about the requirement for an onward ticket in the current COVID/CoE times. At least that's what I took from the title and OP.

Not sure due to crazy covid rules..Ive always gone to LOS with a one way tix....a dozen times...never been an issue with airlines at LAX, as I say I will fly out after my 30 days.....or I say its not my final destination Im just packing around, as I always just take a carry on... Ive come to use EVA air..nice and reliable..red eye out of LAX $550

23 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Not sure due to crazy covid rules..Ive always gone to LOS with a one way tix....a dozen times...never been an issue with airlines at LAX

Yes, we are talking about the current situation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

.Ive always gone to LOS with a one way tix....a dozen times...never been an issue with airlines at LAX,

I'm not doubting your statement, however I would caution people taking your experience as the norm since it is not the norm. Prior to Covid I flew in and out of Thailand every month. I can assure you that at places such as Saigon at check in they look in your passport for reentry permit or visa if not there they will ask to see onward ticket. Don't have then you don't fly.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm not doubting your statement, however I would caution people taking your experience as the norm since it is not the norm. Prior to Covid I flew in and out of Thailand every month. I can assure you that at places such as Saigon at check in they look in your passport for reentry permit or visa if not there they will ask to see onward ticket. Don't have then you don't fly.

Makes note to stay out of Saigon........

• Sad 1

Just now, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Makes note to stay out of Saigon........

I used it as an example. I have had same experience in various places. Not sure what point your trying to prove. I can assure you what I posted is the norm.

• Thanks 1

Just to be very, very clear, one needs a Certificate of Entry, among other requirements: Covid test, Fit to Fly certificate, insurance, ASQ rez, etc., from a Thai embassy/consulate in order to travel to Thailand.

Some/most/many/all? Thai embassies and consulates require proof of onward travel within the term of your intended stay prior to issuing a CoE.

I think we can all agree that pre-COVID some airlines did not enforce the proof of onward travel requirement, and some others did.  Obviously this is not relevant to the current situation, or to this topic.

I got to my ASQ 24h ago, so I've done all of this. I booked a 60$ ticket from BKK to Malaysia, which I'm just gonna throw in the bin. However, some people do get flights where you can cancel for refund, or simply reschedule to a later date. All of them work, it's just a matter of what option you prefer.

The "just getting oneway tix saying ill leave in a month" will 100% not work under current circumstances.

Edited by BUMMERJACK

Thanks for all of your responses. Most likely, i will book a return flight in 60 days and then change my return date with the airlines. Time for me to contact the different carriers for further info. I will pass on my outcome in the future.

10 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Not sure due to crazy covid rules..Ive always gone to LOS with a one way tix....a dozen times...never been an issue with airlines at LAX, as I say I will fly out after my 30 days.....or I say its not my final destination Im just packing around, as I always just take a carry on... Ive come to use EVA air..nice and reliable..red eye out of LAX $550

Did you have tourist visa , if you have I’ve never been stopped but I didn’t one time and made me book RT

4 minutes ago, Aomelia said:

For years I came to Thailand on TV and never had return flt booked has it changed I know one time I came over with no visa and  airline had me book refundable ticket 

If you have a visa the airline has no issue.

If you are flying visa exempt to Thailand then in most cases the airline will insist on an onward flight.

The onward flight is an airline issue. Very rarely with immigration is it a problem.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have one of those faces that check in staff love. In the last couple of years I have been asked for an onward flight twice from Hong Kong and once Yangon. I have always had one.

You can get away with it as many times as you like but you only need to come unstuck once. There are plenty of legit options. Just pony up a few quid and avoid the hassle.

Pre-Covid I would always go without an onward ticket. If they(always the airline) require one, I'd log into expedia.com, purchase a fully refundable within 24 hours ticket, and give the info to the airline agent. Then, after I'm at the gate, I'd log in again to expedia and cancel the ticket. Total costs $0.00. 

Never buy an onward ticket from the airline you're about to fly on.

10 hours ago, BUMMERJACK said:

I got to my ASQ 24h ago, so I've done all of this. I booked a 60$ ticket from BKK to Malaysia, which I'm just gonna throw in the bin. However, some people do get flights where you can cancel for refund, or simply reschedule to a later date. All of them work, it's just a matter of what option you prefer.

The "just getting oneway tix saying ill leave in a month" will 100% not work under current circumstances.

Are you sure a ticket to Malaysia will help though? Considering travel to Malaysia is considered likely to be banned until at least 2022. I am assuming they will think about that when checking the ticket. I was thinking about booking a cheap ticket to Singapore, but thinking it won't live since travel to Singapore is also forbidden.

13 hours ago, Aomelia said:

Did you have tourist visa , if you have I’ve never been stopped but I didn’t one time and made me book RT

Nope..have gone to LOS over a dozen times--depart out of LAX...NEVER have i had a VISA..always get the 30 days stamp arriving at BKK..always one way tix

this may have changed due to covid..but I last went in nov 2018--left march 16 2019..regretfully

Edited by Sticky Rice Balls

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If you have a visa the airline has no issue.

If you are flying visa exempt to Thailand then in most cases the airline will insist on an onward flight.

The onward flight is an airline issue. Very rarely with immigration is it a problem.

Agreed i was just noting ive been able(pre-covid) to come to LOS from LAX with a one way tix and NO VISA for over a dozen times since 2008...

I recall only really been asked at LAX about a return tix or visa.....I usually use EVA air....I simply said im traveling about and will leave LOS after 30 day free stamp

Never had an issue at Swampy in BKK....i say im a tourist and leaving LOS after the 30 day stamp......NEVER had an airline deny me with NO visa....tho pre-covid

perhaps my only luggage is a carry on......I say im backpacking around asia and will leave BKK after the 30 day stamp expires..has worked..so far....

• Sad 1

On 3/21/2021 at 8:42 AM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Nope..have gone to LOS over a dozen times--depart out of LAX...NEVER have i had a VISA..always get the 30 days stamp arriving at BKK..always one way tix

this may have changed due to covid..but I last went in nov 2018--left march 16 2019..regretfully

Japan Airlines made me buy return , shocking they let you fly 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't believe every tale that you read.

Are you doubting my claims??? Do I need to take a pic of all of my entry stamps?.....I am on my second passport from all of the swampy arrivals and burma runs from back in the day......If thats what I need to do then so be it...since you seem to think its not possible.....

Always flown out of LAX and have mostly used EVA Air.....used Norwegian once....Cathay Pacific.....Asiana....I have been questioned at LAX counter maybe 3-4 times  within 12 trips......all one way for the exemption of last year, as I never know when I will want to leave   DC-LAX-TPE-BKK-CNX....never used any japanese airlines

I have always taken a carry on backpack, and when asked I say im a backpacker and would leave LOS after the 30 days stamp on arrival....all counter reps have allowed it with only one asking her supervisor, who after a few grumbles, allowed it as well.........perhaps they let me thru due to my American handsum-ness.....

• Sad 2

Arrive swampy---USA passport---flip-flip-flip--then bam--stamped

Travel up north to CM for the 30 then over to CM Immig for another 30-extension 1900

2 months total.

Then fly to Udon thani and bus to nong khai for border jump to Laos for thai VISA...used to be double visa in good ole days--now single  60 days--1000 bt

4 months total

back to cm immig for another 30=1900

5 months

green bus to mae sai-burma border--jump over--throw $10 usd at burma boys then back over to LOS

Boom..another 30 days--free on thai side...allowed 2 burma jumps per year

6 months.....3 is a charm at CM immig for another ext 1900 bt

7 months total with one VISA run to laos

Head home to work and save money--rinse lather repeat

Last trip I skipped the laos haul--horrible

30 upon arrival at swampy--ext at Cm for another 30

off to burma border for another free 30--extended again at cm immig

4 months without visa----has become a long enough stay for me

but seemed I could have done one more burma run as was allowed and extend

Been doing this since my first arrival in 2008 and been doing it yearly

*This was Pre-Covid----thailand changes rules in a new york minute*

Edited by Sticky Rice Balls

2 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Been doing this since my first arrival in 2008 and been doing it yearly

You have not gotten everything you wrote about since 2008.

The 30 day extensions of visa exempt entries did start until August of 2014.

At border crossings it was a 15 day visa exempt until 2015. That is also when they started restricting them to 2 per calendar year.

You have only been lucky you were not forced to buy a ticket out of the country within 30 days. I certainly would not suggest anybody try it or at least be prepared to buy a ticket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1