Stomy weather ahead: High winds and thunderstorms to hit NE then Bangkok over next couple of days

rooster59

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTY3MS84MzU3MDI2L3Nhbm9va190aHVtYm5haWxfMTIwMHg3MjAtMi5qcGc=.jpg

Image: Sanook

The Thai meterological office has warned people to expect storms in the upper reaches of Thailand in the next couple of days.

Weather will be hot to very hot and the thunderstorms and high winds will hit the north east first on Sunday then move across to Bangkok and surrounding areas on Monday.

There could be hail in some areas.

The south will see an increase in rain.

People in the upper areas of Thailand were thus warned to avoid being caught outside, not shelter under trees and watch out for things like poorly secured advertising hoardings.

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-20

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

First day of "spring" at 38 C (100 F).

Eagerly hoping for a good shower and a bit of cooling down.
Just spare me from fierce storms.

And spare me from the humidity in the mornings.

53 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

And spare me from the humidity in the mornings.

I've been wondering for weeks now how the weather has been so terribly humid in BKK and the sky is white every day since the end of Feb. It's not polluted in BKK at the moment so I think it's the phenomenon of southerly winds bringing moist air in from the sea and making the sky white and hazy. It just feels unbearable! Like today around 2pm the temperature was 33C but the Heat index was showing 42C due to the 60% humidity. This is quite uncommon in March and it's been like this for at least 3 weeks now. Personally I'd much rather take the higher temperatures with lower humidity. Hopefully the forecasted rains will bring a change to the weather pattern. Would be nice to see some blue sky for a change! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChomDo said:

I've been wondering for weeks now how the weather has been so terribly humid in BKK and the sky is white every day since the end of Feb. It's not polluted in BKK at the moment so I think it's the phenomenon of southerly winds bringing moist air in from the sea and making the sky white and hazy. It just feels unbearable! Like today around 2pm the temperature was 33C but the Heat index was showing 42C due to the 60% humidity. This is quite uncommon in March and it's been like this for at least 3 weeks now. Personally I'd much rather take the higher temperatures with lower humidity. Hopefully the forecasted rains will bring a change to the weather pattern. Would be nice to see some blue sky for a change! 

it's a temperature inversion causing that sky effect. 

Edited by Pilotman

5 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

lol, the grass is always greener..

Well it will be once the rain starts again......kind of brown now, like the envelopes the government must be getting to let the 6 days of Songkran go ahead.  Maybe it will be a rainy Songkran as well and the Government can arrest mother nature for splashing water about.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Pilotman said:

it's a temperature inversion causing that sky effect. 

Even in the tropics? Is't that when the cooler air at the surface meets hotter air in the atmosphere. I mean just seems odd when it's hot at the surface here. It actually looks exactly like on the really polluted days in BKK with foggy views and white sky (not because of clouds but fog). Whatever it is it's making the Heat Index soar and the real feel pretty nasty. Now at 10am 32C/70%. Not very normal for March – at least not 3-4 weeks in a row.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Even in the tropics? Is't that when the cooler air at the surface meets hotter air in the atmosphere. I mean just seems odd when it's hot at the surface here. It actually looks exactly like on the really polluted days in BKK with foggy views and white sky (not because of clouds but fog). Whatever it is it's making the Heat Index soar and the real feel pretty nasty. Now at 10am 32C/70%. Not very normal for March – at least not 3-4 weeks in a row.

Inversions are a layer band of air, often no more than 5,000 in depth,  where temperate rises with altitude, as opposed to falling. The tropics is where inversions are most common, so too the Mediterranean, this is due to the unstable air masses in these regions.  Inversions cause the 'goldfish bowl effect' you will often experience  when flying in these parts. Pollution gets trapped below the inversion layer, causing those hazy summer days, also in the West in summer. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1