Health insurance age bracket increase 60-64 Ouch !!!

4MyEgo

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

I intend on returning to my home country to collect the lottery (pension).....and have free Medical cover.

which country ?         I guess i could consider going to Canada as the father of a Canadian resident.    brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

2 hours ago, rumak said:

it is many of these same people that seem to think that being insured will save the day.

I tend to think that staying healthy will PREVENT  serious illness ........ and so far at 70 i have been proven correct .   It works for me ,  what a great feeling not to have to pop pills every day.

It won't stop you catching Covid 19.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, rumak said:

Which people are you referring to ?    references please

As for what people seem to think...... i would go with them thinking that they can eat all kinds of junk,   do little exercise,   and be overweight or obese which is really the main cause of diseases and ill health in the world .     Source: https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/adult/causes.html#:~:text=Obesity is serious because it,and some types of cancer

it is many of these same people that seem to think that being insured will save the day.

I tend to think that staying healthy will PREVENT  serious illness ........ and so far at 70 i have been proven correct .   It works for me ,  what a great feeling not to have to pop pills every day.

Good plan, congrats! ... and it's working for you if you're not on medication!

My private insurance in the US will cover the pocket of my choice that's carrying my billfold. LOL

My COBRA estimate was $1,200-$1,400.

Deductible and copays render it virtually useless for those of us not carrying chronic health issues.

My health care plan includes getting out of the states ASAP and into Thailand. where I'll take Sheryl's advice and get reasonable insurance.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gearbox said:

I never had any insurance here, except now when I had to get Thai insurance covering covid to enter the country.

My Australian travel insurance pre-covid times had unlimited medical coverage and most importantly evacuation cover. Thai medical insurance is not going to evacuate me to Australia.

It is cheaper to fly 2 times per year to Oz and get travel insurance than to insure here. The travel insurance covers you in other countries and I used to travel a lot pre-covid.

The only problem with travel insurance cover is that they are limited in what they pay and for how long they pay for, that and they do expire after a certain period.

Travel insurance is good for limited travel only and doesn't cover those of us who are non-residents, e.g. living out of their homeland for more than 6 months.

10 hours ago, rumak said:

which country ?         I guess i could consider going to Canada as the father of a Canadian resident.    brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Australia, but then I would have to pay through the nose to live there.

5 hours ago, ctxa said:

But I realized that saying goodbye to 15k USD for instead avoiding to pay 500 USD / year, was a mistake only a fool would have made. And so I felt like a fool 15K USD lighter ????

Was that a typo, $500 USD, if that's the case, that was a grave mistake on your path, the increased amount went up from $2325 USD to $3,690 USD, suffice to say that is for emergency and elective surgery cover up to 1.2 mil USD.

The above said, the email went to the broker last night to seek an alternative provider, as Sheryl said insurance cover her is paramount and even with a fair chunk of money in shares and the bank, cover for me is the preferred, it's all about weighing up the risks, i.e. your money or their money when it's time to make a claim, now that claim could be in the millions of baht or it could be in the hundreds of thousands of baht, or there might not be a claim, it's about rolling the dice and having cover, in other words you pay from your pocket or theirs if there is a claim.

I agree with Shery 110% that most expats here don't have cover and hope nothing happens, they say they self insure but most live day by day on their pensions, we age, we need hospitalisation and if the dice rolls their way, they will be treated accordingly, public hospital vs private hospital again, to me it's about choice and you get what you pay for.

I also agree the increase of 60% is out of line, hence the reason I am not going with it, as crazy as it sounds, it's only an additional 115 baht per day, on top of the amount I was already paying, suffice to say for what the policy was covering for me, with no outpatient and only being for emergency or elective surgery, I believe the broker can do better, however it might not cover my pre-existing condition, but I can live with that, knowing that I will have to pa for anything that does relate to that.

The above said, we all need health insurance cover IMO, but affordable coverage, not extortion coverage.

42 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Usually having a 40k baht deductible will save you 20% off premium, take out outpatient and that's another 20%

Something to consider for any future policy that the broker comes up with, the previous provider didn't have any deductibles, i.e. it covered you for what it did and would pay out up to what it would, so no choice there.

The above said, I like the idea of deductibles to reduce the policy cost.

• Like 1