VIDEO: Bangkok International Motor Show 2021 kicks off on Wednesday

2172_40758.jpeg

File Photo: Image - bangkok-motorshow.com

The 42nd Bangkok International Motor Show 2021 begins on Wednesday at the Impact Challenger Hall in Muang Thong Thani.

The event runs until 4 April, with doors open daily from noon to 10pm on weekdays and 11am to 10pm on weekends.

Car manufacturers will be hoping the event, along with offering some big discounts, will stimulate consumer sales in Thailand's beleaguered car market after it was reported that sales have dropped 21.3 percent due to a second wave of coronavirus infections late last year. 

The event, which is understood to be one of only a handful of motor shows to take place anywhere in the world this year, features displays from Thailand’s most popular brands, including Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Mitsubishi and Ford. 

Other participating manufacturers include Aston Martin, Bentley, BMW, Maserati, Mercedes-Benz and Rolls-Royce.

For the first time, the event also includes a "Smart EV City" zone, dedicated to all things related to electric vehicles, including cars, motorcycles and scooters. 

Thaivisa on Tuesday was given a preview of  what to expect at the event, which you can see in the video below.

Make sure you check out Thaivisa’s Motor Forum for more updates from the event.

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-23

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crusader said:

Let's see if there are any significant "discounts" - the last couple of times I have been there, I found better deals around town in regular car showrooms.

Go to the  end of year December show...just about everybody is discounting to clear inventory

1 hour ago, SuwadeeS said:

OMG

Why the Thais always like to call it "international" when it it is just such a local event???

I imagine the promoters named it that, not Thais in general.

In any event, typically manufacturers and suppliers from many countries participate, not just from Thailand. This year it might be limited. 

26 minutes ago, fulhamster said:

Same as the USA have a "World Series"

Canada used to have a team, and the players are farmed from around the world. 

It used to be called something else a hundred years ago, but the promoters changed it. But in any  event, there are no teams outside the US that could really compete, if for no other reason than all the best players go to the US for the money. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I am going and have been many times before. 

100 baht to get in. takes about 45 minutes from soi cowboy. 

Many motorcycle manufactures also, so many you could make a major decision at the show. 

I dont this as an international event who will fly in for 2 week quarentine to see a car show a local is a better expression 

i have been to several of these shows during covid. 

you are right but every manufacturer is there because they are in country all the time. 

if you are looking to buy a car or motorcycle this is the time to do it. 

7 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

I’ve often wondered why car sales staff always try to look busy when they see a foreigner around. Perhaps they don’t think foreigners buy cars.

Or at least think they are not going to buy a car today...

11 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

I’ve often wondered why car sales staff always try to look busy when they see a foreigner around. Perhaps they don’t think foreigners buy cars.

Suspect only a very small percentage of Farangs in Thailand buy cars. Mostly demographics - mostly old blokes, many don't have that much money, and almost none like the idea of learning to drive (without dying) on Thai roads. Easier to let the missus drive or just hire cars.

Different in different countries. In some countries, white expats are less retired, therefore have more disposable income and can fathom driving as the roads are safe

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Suspect only a very small percentage of Farangs in Thailand buy cars. Mostly demographics - mostly old blokes, many don't have that much money, and almost none like the idea of learning to drive (without dying) on Thai roads. Easier to let the missus drive or just hire cars.

Different in different countries. In some countries, white expats are less retired, therefore have more disposable income and can fathom driving as the roads are safe

My experience is that few of the sales teams can speak English and know that farang buyers ask more difficult questions about performance and specifications...and I agree, Thai's are probably an easier sale.

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2021 at 3:29 PM, NCC1701A said:

I am going and have been many times before. 

100 baht to get in. takes about 45 minutes from soi cowboy. 

Many motorcycle manufactures also, so many you could make a major decision at the show. 

You have to pay to shop for cars?

Is that all days or just the opening days reserved for dealers?

1 hour ago, DLock said:

My experience is that few of the sales teams can speak English and know that farang buyers ask more difficult questions about performance and specifications...and I agree, Thai's are probably an easier sale.

I suppose the sales ladies running away is an upgrade from the typical MO which is to follow you around a meter behind you announcing everything you touch --

"Car, siiirrrr"

"Ford"

As you open the door to look inside --

"Inside, sir."

And demonstrating their knowledge only by giving you the most basic info --

"Siiiir, have red colour and blue colour."

"Have discount duay na kha."

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I completely disagree. Every foreigner I know here has a car, most are not married to Thais and most have more money than I have.. Driving here is a challenge, we all know that but I follow my own basic rules. Firstly forget all the safety rules you learned back home, because here what we know as safe driving causes accidents, and secondly (it’s actually my dad's rule passed to me) always assume the other driver is an idiot. 

• Like 1