Biden calls for tighter gun control measures after Colorado shooting

webfact

7 hours ago, Sujo said:

So you are happy nutters can have guns?

? I did not say that. I did not say anything like that. Classic strawman and classic trolling. But since you choose to go down that road-

So you are happy that a young mother with 2 babies would be left defenceless to be <deleted> by the gang that just broke into her remote home? Don't suppose you would if it was your own wife, or your own daughter. Do you have anything against lone women defending themselves? Must they surrender their bodies and lives to the criminal elements because the woke brigade are jumping on the gun abolishment bandwagon?

• Sad 4
  • Haha 1

Boulder: AR-15 Orlando: AR-15 Parkland: AR-15 Las Vegas: AR-15 Aurora, CO: AR-15 Sandy Hook: AR-15 Waffle House: AR-15 San Bernardino: AR-15 Midland/Odessa: AR-15 Poway synagogue: AR-15 Sutherland Springs: AR-15 Tree of Life Synagogue: AR-15

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/mar/24/viral-image/ar-15-style-weapons-were-used-10-major-shootings/

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Claiming asylum is not illegal. No matter how you enter. Once you claim asylum you are legal, until determined otherwise.

Where did I say claiming asylum was illegal. Title 42 sums it up.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sujo said:

How many has that happened to?

“Violence against women is so ubiquitous that it is invisible,” Wilcox said. “That one nurse in Texas can find 1,600 women that have been allegedly murdered by men in the United States in a single year, that is staggering.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/apr/11/the-nurse-tracking-americas-epidemic-of-murdered-women

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Sujo said:

Probably, but doing it that way can be reversed by order from the next pres to easily. Better to have it passed thru congress and senate.

I would agree if there was the slightest chance of getting it through congress and senate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sujo said:

Claiming asylum is not illegal. No matter how you enter. Once you claim asylum you are legal, until determined otherwise.

Unless domestic law states otherwise. e.g. Australia permanently refuses entry for any asylum seekers entering Oz territory 'illegally' by sea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sujo said:

How many has that happened to?

Then compare that number to the number of gun killings.

So its not too hard, just the last year will do.

How many people were killed in mass shootings last year? (212) 

How many people were killed by guns total last year? (4,000)

So if it's not too hard, tell us why the left is focused on the the mass shootings?

(Probably don't want to rile-up their base....)

• Sad 2

Off-topic posts and replies removed.  I am not sure what people crossing the US/Mexico border has to do with this shooting, but I strongly suggest you stay on topic.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

The mass shootings are the only times when the issue of gun control has even the tiniest chance of getting political traction. The steady stream of gun deaths just won't do it for the average American so there's your answer.

Easy, wasn't it?

PS. When posting numbers like you do it would be beneficial for the credibility of your post if you added links to back it up. Here are different numbers:

Mass shootings:

List of mass shootings in the United States in 2020

"There were 15 mass shootings in 2020 that fit the inclusion criteria of this article, resulting in 521 deaths and 2,541 injuries, for a total of 3,062 victims.'

Gun related deaths in 2020:

https://time.com/5922082/2020-gun-violence-homicides-record-year/

" This year, many Americans have experienced significantly higher levels of violence both wrought on and within their communities. Gun violence and gun crime has, in particular, risen drastically, with over 19,000 people killed in shootings and firearm-related incidents in 2020. That’s the highest death toll in over 20 years, according to data from the Gun Violence Archive (GVA), an online site that collects gun violence data, and the Britannia Group’s non-partisan site procon.org."

Mass shootings are counted differently by different agencies, and  I said firearm deaths, not shootings. There were over 20,000 people that committed suicide with guns.

In any event using your numbers, the left still only seems to care about the 500 deaths from mass shootings than the 19,000 deaths from other shootings.

Better?

Perhaps if the "average American" heard more about the other 18,500 shooting deaths they would be more concerned about them, but as they generally do not fit the left's narrative, they go largely unreported.

Much like the deaths of all the people killed during the antifa/BLM riots.

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

You asked earlier who there's such a focus on mass shootings. Apart from the obvious "news value" of lots of people getting slaughtered, invariably by a**h**** using types of guns that have no business being in private hands (maybe you didn't read it when I replied to you the first time):

"The mass shootings are the only times when the issue of gun control has even the tiniest chance of getting political traction. The steady stream of gun deaths just won't do it for the average American so there's your answer.

Easy, wasn't it?"

If the public were better informed about everyday gun deaths they would be more concerned. Unfortunately, those deaths do not seem to matter much to the left, as they generally do not fit their narrative, or forward their agenda.

Shooting deaths and gun control were big issues forty yeas ago, but back then it was handguns, and the press still had some credibility with most of the county. 

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

The point being?? Was that an argument for or against gun control?

When you make a condescending claim like: "The mass shootings are the only times when the issue of gun control has even the tiniest chance of getting political traction. The steady stream of gun deaths just won't do it for the average American..."  you are insulting all average Americans, and as an average American, I am offended. I respond with:

If the public were better informed about everyday gun deaths they would be more concerned. Unfortunately, those deaths do not seem to matter much to the press, as they generally do not fit the press's  narrative, or forward the press's agenda.

Unfortunately, when I wrote that I just assumed most people would understand what point I was trying to make. Apparently I was wrong, and for that I apologize.  

So to be clear, the point I am trying to make is that it is not fair to blame average Americans for not being concerned about the "...steady stream of gun deaths..." that result from crimes that go largely unreported. Americans are generally a compassionate people, and you can easily see this by the amount of concern they show for the deaths that occur as a result of the crimes that actually are reported.

For example, compare the death of George Floyd with all the deaths resulting from the antifa/BLM riots. People were very concerned about George Floyd's death, yes? The victims of the antifa/BLM riots? Not so much. But had the public been more aware of all the people killed during the antifa/BLM riots they would have been much more concerned.

One could almost argue that the press effectively promotes mass shootings by the overemphasis they put on them. If you're a criminal, year in and year out you can shoot all the young black men you want in your neighborhood and nobody seems to care, you wont even make the locale news. But just get yourself an AR-15 and go shoot a bunch of white people in a supermarket or Asian women in a spa and within hours everyone in the county and most of the world knows your name and has seen your picture.

On 3/25/2021 at 3:47 AM, meechai said:

<snip>

Instead get tough on laws dealing with folks that use a firearm in a felony. Death sentence period!

In a case such as this when a shooter is caught red handed immediate death sentence no trial...no waiting on death row...tomorrow at 8am you will hang

How will that stop the mentally disturbed who neither knows nor cares about being caught?

How will that stop the terrorist who is prepared to die for their cause?

How will that stop the sniper who expects to get away?

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 10:01 AM, Phoenix Rising said:

Indeed, and the vast majority of that violence is perpetrated by the women's partners, not marauding bands of house invaders so posting that link really doesn't prove your point at all.

In fact, I'm pretty sure single moms are a lot less likely to be victims of violence because they're single.

Indeed

Also, @SunnyinBangrak should have read the article before posting a link to it!

Whilst it does include strangers in the list of perpetrators

They were killed in their beds and in their cars, at work and in yoga class, by their fathers, husbands, ex-boyfriends, cousins, sons, neighbors and strangers

it also links to Female Homicide Victimization by Males

The presence of a firearm can turn domestic violence into domestic homicide. When men murder women, the most common weapon used is a gun. More than 90 percent of women murdered by men are killed by someone they know.

On 3/27/2021 at 12:40 PM, Phoenix Rising said:

Since I apparently have offended you and hundreds of millions of Americans let me rephrase that:

""The mass shootings are the only times when the issue of gun control has even the tiniest chance of getting political traction. The gun lobby has got the GOP in their pocket and only wholesale slaughter makes it possible to put gun control on the national agenda.

I do not think that is true. I think the if the mass slaughter of young black men that occurs on a basis daily were widely publicized it would absolutely  put gun control on the national agenda, and it would stay on the national agenda until something was done about it. But unfortunately, the press does not care about the mass slaughter of young black men because it does not fit their narrative or forward their political agenda.

It is only when a "mass shooting" of whites in  a grocery store are killed with an assault rifle they can blame on the GOP, or the killing of a group of Asian women that they can blame on Trump that become outraged. 

Almost 110 gun deaths A DAY in the USA and when was the last time you heard anything about it?

NOW, we are going to do something about it. And what are we going to do? Let's not focus on the almost 110 gun deaths A DAY in the US. Let's do something about the 500 gun deaths A YEAR that we can make political hay from.

It is ridiculous 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 3/25/2021 at 6:46 PM, simple1 said:

Unless domestic law states otherwise. e.g. Australia permanently refuses entry for any asylum seekers entering Oz territory 'illegally' by sea.

Which has nothing to do with the US border. It also doesnt make any asylum seekers illegal.

36 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Whats ridiculous is your predictable deflection spin.

Its not as if based on your posts that anyone believes that you favor comprehensive gun control regardless. 

Mass shootings get much more press because they are mass shootings.

Duh.

Another clear, concise, substantive response that really addressed nothing I said. Why not take a beak and let the grownups talk now? 

• Sad 2

53 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Another clear, concise, substantive response that really addressed nothing I said. Why not take a beak and let the grownups talk now? 

Take a beak?

Is that a twitterism?

In any case your rhetoric on guns and black and black violence really isn't fooling anyone.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Take a beak?

Is that a twitterism?

In any case your rhetoric on guns and black and black violence really isn't fooling anyone.

Fooling anyone about what? I'm not pretending to be anything, and I've been 100% transparent about what I think and believe. 

Please tell me:

1. Why does an average of ONE HUNDRED TEN (110) GUN DEATHS A DAY in the USA go largely unreported by the press?

2. Why does the "comprehensive gun control" being pushed NOT EVEN PRETEND to address the vast majority of these deaths?

You cannot answer either of these questions without resorting to name calling and claims of deflection.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

Fooling anyone about what? I'm not pretending to be anything, and I've been 100% transparent about what I think and believe. 

Please tell me:

1. Why does an average of ONE HUNDRED TEN (110) GUN DEATHS A DAY in the USA go largely unreported by the press?

2. Why does the "comprehensive gun control" being pushed NOT EVEN PRETEND to address the vast majority of these deaths?

You cannot answer either of these questions without resorting to name calling and claims of deflection.

Of course people that favor gun control want to reduce all kinds of gun violence including suicides. A big problem is that gun control laws need to be national.

Again mass shootings get a lot of publicity because they are mass shootings 

• Like 2

On 3/24/2021 at 5:47 PM, meechai said:

Instead get tough on laws dealing with folks that use a firearm in a felony. Death sentence period!

In a case such as this when a shooter is caught red handed immediate death sentence no trial...no waiting on death row...tomorrow at 8am you will hang

6 hours ago, 7by7 said:

How will that stop the mentally disturbed who neither knows nor cares about being caught?

How will that stop the terrorist who is prepared to die for their cause?

How will that stop the sniper who expects to get away?

So your solution is what? Do nothing then?

Truth is when crazy comes to town not many can stop it

But you can enforce a real punishment for the perpetrators caught alive & why not?

In your "how will that"  scenario's what is your answer?

Lock the mentally ill up & remove all their rights to movement?? You think a bullet is the only weapon a mentally ill person could use??

Same goes for terrorist....Why not maybe also find out what caused all the terrorism....perhaps they were terrorized first?

Snipers who expect to get away?? You talking about the creators of the terrorist?

Truthfully don't know why I even responded to your "How will that" nonsense because How Will it help as you have no point..... or do you actually have a suggestion?

Edited by meechai