Booking a business class flight to UK now- Good idea or not?

Scouse123

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

I also had flights with Emirates last year and when the flights were cancelled opted for the vouchers

Let me help you with the English

"I also had flights with Emirates last year and when THEY cancelled the flights I opted for vouchers".

Flights don't cancel themselves, either you did it or they did it   none of  which you mentioned until after that  post.

Show me exactly where you mentioned it  in your FIRST  post, saving face u make me  laugh.

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Same with Qatar transiting via Doha ????

Other thing to watch out with Qatar is their basic Business Class tickets no longer include lounge access or seat booking, I have vouchers for a couple of Business Class return tickets originally booked in Q-Suites BKK-Man for May 2020 & am a bit p155ed off to find out it's now basically Premium economy with a bit of extra leg room ????

Will still be using them as soon as I can though (been 18 months since I've visited family in the UK).

I hope Emirates don't do that, but it's going to be another 6 months before I'll find out and as we know, much can change in that time.

3 hours ago, stretch5163 said:

lol sorry but i found this hilarious at the moment its low season so very few tourists in and out.....did you think before posting that comment. I would say it is more becasue of Coived there are no tourists and it wouldnt matter if it was low or high season there would still be little or no tourists.

I would say when things are getting back to some kind iof normality and there are a rush on flights prices may change.

Hilarious - go back and re-read - I didn't write it's low season SO very few tourists, as one was the result of the other !! BTW - if you're going to correct your spelling why not do it all in one go...

6 hours ago, polpott said:

Currently Emirates, Qatar and Etihad not flying to UK. I think Oman Air now the same. No date for flights to restart.

Thank you,

I was certainly not aware of that.

• Like 1

I shall have a look at Finnair if that's the case or problem with Red Zones and Middle Eastern airlines. They are usually very price competitive, although a friend told me the business seats are ' Captain chairs ' and although good enough, not the comfort of Qatar or Emirates.

I have never flown Etihad in business, only Qatar many times and Emirates occasionally.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Only ever flown direct.......if we go via somewhere will we have any problems re: my wife's UK visitors visa?

No I have flown many times via Doha with my other half ( we remained air side in the lounges ) and Netherlands once, although we did need a Schengen visa for that trip, as we had a stopover.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Let me help you with the English

"I also had flights with Emirates last year and when THEY cancelled the flights I opted for vouchers".

Flights don't cancel themselves, either you did it or they did it   none of  which you mentioned until after that  post.

Show me exactly where you mentioned it  in your FIRST  post, saving face u make me  laugh.

Holy smoke. Can you write it clearly in quantum grammar please.

• Haha 2

I’ve looked at flights too, and will consider a France / bangkok ticket, via Zurich/Munich/ Frankfort . More choice and also good business class rates. Important when booking go for the flex option allowing free change of date. Always direct with airlines too.Stick to good airlines and no red zone countries. 

19 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Only ever flown direct.......if we go via somewhere will we have any problems re: my wife's UK visitors visa?

As long as your remaining airside and just transiting through your not technically entering that Country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few things:

1) It's not "low-season" now as it's is the tail end of the high-season. Thailand is normally popular with Europeans/North Americans until after Easter and Songkhran when the weather starts to warm up in Europe/North America.

2) Qatar Airways are offering some great deals and their lower cost business fares are a relatively new industry offering to get seats filled. Perhaps they really should not be called business class as they do not include lounge access, generous baggage, normal mileage, seat selection and other services. I saw one-way from BKK to LHR for Nov 2021 at about £750 as part of a rountrip. The fare returning was higher though. One good thing about Qatar is that you can mix and match cabins on a R/T ticket so if you want the frills or flat bed in one direction but not the other then that's possible. 

3) As Qatar is still on the UK red list requiring hotel quarantine then perhaps leave booking until things change

4) Always book direct with the airline and pay by credit card. Many people who used agencies for flights are still waiting for refunds for cancelled flights in 2020. Check cancellation and change policy carefully.

• Like 2

Just read elsewhere that restrictions to enter Thailand will only be lifted by Q4 for Phuket, Krabi, Phang Nga, Samui, Pattaya and Chiang Mai. The rest only open from Q1 2565. Why they think they can isolate Krabi, Pats, and CM but not any other non-island areas puzzles me.

Anyone fancy January and February in the UK?

7 hours ago, Lancelot01 said:

Scouse123. Are those prices you mention one way or round trip?

I can answer that for you. All of the above posts other than 1 by soi3eddie refer to return ticket prices. They do however differ quite considerably on what constitutes Business class.  Mine with Emirates include Limo to and from the airport, full flat bed on all sectors and Lounges in BKK and my destination and during the stop over in DXB.

Edited by DaLa
Missing detail
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, polpott said:

Qatar are not currently flying to the UK.

Qatar Airways are currently flying into Heathrow without passengers so assume cargo only. Flight QR9 just landed from Doha. Clearly no passenger demand as nobody wants to do hotel quarantine at £1,750.

It is possible to fly out of Heathrow today as a passenger on Qatar Airways QR4 direct to Doha.

Best to hold off making any plans until nearer travel dates to see current situation.

image.png.4f1ddfe3b516f6a0d7705dabd69f723d.png

image.png.4d67546424aad5cbd20ed431907e1b9a.png

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2021 at 11:39 AM, Surelynot said:

You should always check if a transit visa is required, but I cannot think of any that are on the normal BKK to UK routes.

I am fairly sure a transit visa is required in you go through China but I don't think for HK.

Assuming that your travel plans are extremely flexible, and you are comfortable with the exchange rate, and don't mind tying up the money for a year or two, and the price is acceptable, go for it. Especially if on QR, where you can likely get a Q-Suite for at least two sectors.

QR has the best change/voucher and even refund policy.

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/travel-with-confidence.html

Nailing down a cheap J seat now is savvy as prices will only go up.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 10:03 PM, Mike Teavee said:

Other thing to watch out with Qatar is their basic Business Class tickets no longer include lounge access or seat booking,

Yikes. I missed this unbundling (November 2020). No seat assingment is ok. no lounge access blows.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/11/09/qatar-airways-business-class-fares-with-no-lounge-access-pay-500-2000-extra/

Based on a very quick scan, of the three J categories Classic, Comfort and Elite, Classic seems to represent the promotion/discount/saver catgeory, and is not presented on all searches.

Prices for me to the U.S. still remain in the expected range, in the Comfort category (with lounge access and seat selection). Phew.

Edited by mtls2005

21 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

image.png.4d67546424aad5cbd20ed431907e1b9a.png

Thanks for that Eddie; for reference that's only £200 less than my 2 pax RETURN for all segments Manchester-Dubai-Bangkok-Dubai-Manchester I booked last year and am holding on until the opportunity to return arises.

That's a lot of spondoolies for only 1 happy landing.

On 3/27/2021 at 11:39 AM, Surelynot said:

My wife has accompanied me many times on Emirates via Dubai and there is absolutely no problem on that route.  However with Emirates they insist my wife has a return flight booked which is not actually a requirement of immigration in  the UK.  There are 3 ways round this. 1. Book a refundable return ticket and cancel it. 2.  Book a cheapo ticket and pay the £100 (£300 business) change fee. or 3. Use a ticketing agency  ( about 700 baht) to issue a ghost booking. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DaLa said:

My wife has accompanied me many times on Emirates via Dubai and there is absolutely no problem on that route.  However with Emirates they insist my wife has a return flight booked which is not actually a requirement of immigration in  the UK.  There are 3 ways round this. 1. Book a refundable return ticket and cancel it. 2.  Book a cheapo ticket and pay the £100 (£300 business) change fee. or 3. Use a ticketing agency  ( about 700 baht) to issue a ghost booking. 

I guess they are just trying to lock-in a return flight for their own profits......makes sense from their perspective I guess.......Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DaLa said:

Thanks for that Eddie; for reference that's only £200 less than my 2 pax RETURN for all segments Manchester-Dubai-Bangkok-Dubai-Manchester I booked last year and am holding on until the opportunity to return arises.

That's a lot of spondoolies for only 1 happy landing.

Expensive I know. I just selected that as an illustration that they were still flying and carrying passengers in one direction at least. The high price probably due to the booking within 8 hours of flying and booking only one-way. There are some very good deals with Qatar Air in all classes for much later this year. Still a gamble as to whether restrictions are relaxed or lifted.

I personally have always chosen THAI Airways direct non-stop though that may not be an option in the future depending on whether they go bankrupt and stop flying. If that happens I will seriously consider QR business class.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

Have I been looking at the correct website? I check Thai every now and again, but the price quoted is extortionate????

It seems you are correct. I just checked THAI website and they want £1,465 R/T full flex economy for LHR-BKK-LHR 1st Nov-15th Dec 2021. I paid £818 for these same dated tickets bought Jan 2020 for travel in Nov/Dec 2020 which got cancelled and they extended the validity for me to same dates in 2021. I'm actually shocked at this 90% increase! THAIS cheapest and restricted economy is £718. At this rate THAI will struggle to attract customers as they'll be uncompetitive against the likes of Qatar who's cheapest for same dates is £602 (QR Comfort - full flex £1315). I guess I'll be reviewing future travel once things open up again.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 6:21 AM, VBF said:

I hope Emirates don't do that, but it's going to be another 6 months before I'll find out and as we know, much can change in that time.

Emirates did it a long time before Qatar.  They introduced Business Special Fares which offer no lounge access, no chauffeur drive, no upgrades and restricted seat selection.  It's still a long way above Premium Economy as claimed, just not as good as it was.

On 3/28/2021 at 4:39 AM, DaLa said:

They do however differ quite considerably on what constitutes Business class.  Mine with Emirates include Limo to and from the airport, full flat bed on all sectors and Lounges in BKK and my destination and during the stop over in DXB.

Keep any eye out for aircraft changes as Emirates are chopping and changing frequently as things open up.  The B777-300s have angled lie flat beds, not fully flat.  Emirates BKK lounge has not re-opened yet and the same goes for most outstation lounges.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, treetops said:

Emirates did it a long time before Qatar.  They introduced Business Special Fares which offer no lounge access, no chauffeur drive, no upgrades and restricted seat selection.  It's still a long way above Premium Economy as claimed, just not as good as it was.

Keep any eye out for aircraft changes as Emirates are chopping and changing frequently as things open up.  The B777-300s have angled lie flat beds, not fully flat.  Emirates BKK lounge has not re-opened yet and the same goes for most outstation lounges.

My current Business ticket on Emirates is "the full monty",  Limo to and from the airport, full flat bed on all sectors and Lounges in BKK and my destination and during the stop over in DXB.

At least it was when I bought it!! As I shan't be using it for at least the next 6 months and it's good until April 2022, I'll worry about it then!

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 4:40 PM, DaLa said:

I booked return flights with Emirates a year ago. Normally it's £300 each person each change , however the T's+c's of my tickets are fee free changes. I'd look carefully at the change options as it's anyone's guess presently when and where will be free from travel restrictions.

£1500 is a good price, normally I've been paying £2800.  I'd personally always book direct with the airline as the critical information on cancellations/refunds/changes etc. can  (and often do ) get interpreted incorrectly by agents.

Let me know what you find in the detail when you finally book. Thanks.

I have booked and the total cost was 1556 GBP. That includes a comfort class flight to UK, I get my dedicated seat and lounge access, which I have anyway with membership tier, and return I go with the flow as I get a Q suite anyway for the DOH-BKK leg.

Multi changes to ticket which are all free and if airline cancels I can get a full refund or vouchers plus 10% additional on value of my booking.

I am happy with flight times, and although I might be taking a bit of a gamble, it's not a lot of money really due to the fact I haven't been home to see my sons for in excess now of 2 years, and my other half is not coming on this trip.

Flights like these are normally around the 3000 GBP mark, so I think a decent result. We don't know what's happening in the world but it gives them another six months to get the vaccines well and truly circulating around the countries heavily reliant on tourism.

Incidentally, Etihad air was booking tickets at the 1450 GBP mark for business return.

15 hours ago, VBF said:

My current Business ticket on Emirates is "the full monty",  Limo to and from the airport, full flat bed on all sectors and Lounges in BKK and my destination and during the stop over in DXB.

At least it was when I bought it!! As I shan't be using it for at least the next 6 months and it's good until April 2022, I'll worry about it then!

It'll be the Turkish Airlines lounge in BKK unless they re-open their own one, so not a bad alternative.  Only Concourse B Lounge is open in DXB at the moment.  A380 (fully flat seats) resumes to BKK next week which is always a plus for me, although I don't even notice the slightly angled seat on the B777.

I've got a BKK-UK ticket waiting to get flown but I'll wait until UAE is off the red list before using it if I can.  I think I've got until December this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1