I’m looking to buy my first air conditioning unit – the sales man told me this ?

Bed Presser

If you already decided to buy a new unit. Don't go any shortcuts for 500thb more or less for installation. Ofcourse the seller is bull<deleted>ing you and he wants the company to have more jobs. Never did I hear about some shop ask who installed this and that, if any repair was needed. Buy some nice Air con with good air filter that's easy to clean and that doesn't dry out the air. 

• Confused 1

Get one that is vermon proof is my advice. A new mother board is around 3000 baht, more if you need someone to install it.

500 baht was the instal price for my Samsung 9 btu 4 years ago. Took 3 men 1 hour to fit it, wire it and gas it. Cleaning was 300 baht by a local chap but that is all he does, not re-gassing. I clean the thing myself now.

The Gecko is your biggest problem all the rest you can figure out.

Don´t buy a Samsung! We had one, a inverter. When it broke down we must use a Samsung service guy and we could only buy spare parts from them (Samsung) and they were very expensive. We scrapped the whole <deleted> and bought a Mitsubishi instead. Every (non-Mitsubishi) air condition service guy on the planet can repair it and also getting spare parts.

But the air condition itself was very nice (quite) when it worked (about 2 years).

• Thanks 1

More important is to get the correct size.

I bought an AC for a bedroom.  Worked great until it was over 40C.  The AC couldn't keep the bedroom cool.  Technician said it was too small and they got a lot of similar calls.

So, you need to decide if you want to get an AC that works most of the time or all of the time.

BTW, my wife's parents don't like AC and prefer fan only.

4 hours ago, geisha said:

An air con directed at your bed is a no no. 

That's not real and exists only in your imagination. Of course you want cool air blowing on you when you're sleeping in your bed.  That's the whole point of putting an AC in the bedroom. ????

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

That's not real and exists only in your imagination. Of course you want cool air blowing on you when you're sleeping in your bed.  That's the whole point of putting an AC in the bedroom. ????

Blowing ON you? Nope! That makes me to get a cold in the night. Better blow down in the floor before the bed or maybe up on the roof. I prefer down on the floor.

• Thanks 1

I bought 3 Daikin inverters from a local shop that did and does all my house electrical work and they do the annual servicing too.

Other farangs nearby also use them because of their good local reputation for quality workmanship.

Priceless to find such a business up here in Isaan.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

I bought 3 Daikin inverters from a local shop that did and does all my house electrical work and they do the annual servicing too.

Other farangs nearby also use them because of their good local reputation for quality workmanship.

Priceless to find such a business up here in Isaan.

where in Isaan, what btu out put did you choose for bedrooms?

Edited by 473geo

On 3/26/2021 at 9:22 PM, Bed Presser said:

Has any one come across this type of thing where if a AC unit is purchased and installed by an out side private installation engineer , then the AC units manufactures original warranty will be affected in some way 

Haier sell their units direct mail order on Lazada, hard to see how they could insist on only approved installers.

10,000bht for 13kbtu inverter, assume you need to pay a local installer 2.5-3k.

Mine works very well by the way.

PS

Samsung are extremely unreliable, after my 55" TV failed after 18 months with no recourse but to chuck it, I will never purchase another Samsung product.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

PS

Samsung are extremely unreliable, after my 55" TV failed after 18 months with no recourse but to chuck it, I will never purchase another Samsung product.

How long ago was that...all new 4k Samsung Smart TV,s now come with a 3 year Warranty

7 minutes ago, petermik said:

How long ago was that...all new 4k Samsung Smart TV,s now come with a 3 year Warranty

The year before (2018?) they were forced to provide a 3 year warranty (cos nobody would have bought their TVs any more without it) Yes it was a UHD 4k smart TV, and the power supply exploded 3x with a large bang, known fault in many of their TVs that year.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The year before (2018?) they were forced to provide a 3 year warranty (cos nobody would have bought their TVs any more without it) Yes it was a UHD 4k smart TV, and the power supply exploded 3x with a large bang, known fault in many of their TVs that year.

Hope I have better luck with my 2020 model.

2 minutes ago, ThailandFoodExpert said:

Haier also are very unreliable.

My Haier chest freezer has worked faultlessly for 6 years now.

The Haier air-con is only 6 months so can't really give a long term reliability report on it.

The Samsung air-con it replaced stopped working after 5 years.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My Haier chest freezer has worked faultlessly for 6 years now.

The Haier air-con is only 6 months so can't really give a long term reliability report on it.

The Samsung air-con it replaced stopped working after 5 years.

I’ve had 2 Haier air cons for 4 years ( 1 gets infrequent use but the other is on at 28c every night for 8 to 10 hours , plus an hour or two during the day if my luck is in ???? ). Both have worked flawlessly, get them cleaned every 6 months ( 500 baht for 1 or 900 baht for both).

Also have a Samsung 40” dumb TV for 5 years that has never failed and is usually on all day .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would recommend figuring out what air conditioning unit you want, including the size. Carrier has a pretty good BTU calculator on their website. 

Once you select the unit you want, shop the internet and find the best price you can for the unit, and make sure you know if delivery and or installation are included.

Once you know the unit you want, the size you want, and know how much you should pay for it, go to the a respectable AC shop close to your home and ask them to quote the unit. If the price is comparable, let give them your business. If the price is not comparable, let them know they need to sharpen their pencil. If you can buy it for 15K on Lazada, they will sell it to you for 15K, and charge for the installation. 

You want to build a relationship with your AC guy. Saving a few hundred is not much in the scheme of things.

The guy I bought my last three Carriers from is about 200 meters from my house. 

I currently have two 20 year old Yorks, a 15 year old Mitsubishi, a ten year old Carrier cassette unit and three new Carrier units that replaced 20 year old York units. 

They have all been good. I like the way the Carrier units look and work. They are also one of the cheaper brands and have about the best warranty going with 5-years everything, 10-years compressor.  

If you have the dough, the cassette units are great. 

On 3/29/2021 at 2:44 PM, SiSePuede419 said:

Nope.

Colds are caused by viruses, not cold air.

Have a doctor explain that to you if you don't believe me. ????

I often get ill in Thailand if aircon pointed at bed.  Now I understand why.

Getting colds from air conditioning
As air is pulled over the coils in an air conditioner, condensation is produced. This moisture can create an ideal environment for bacteria and mold to grow if not cleaned regularly. Another cause of air conditioning sickness is running an air conditioner too cold.

Source: google

17 hours ago, sharksy said:

I often get ill in Thailand if aircon pointed at bed.  Now I understand why.

Getting colds from air conditioning
As air is pulled over the coils in an air conditioner, condensation is produced. This moisture can create an ideal environment for bacteria and mold to grow if not cleaned regularly. Another cause of air conditioning sickness is running an air conditioner too cold.

Source: google

Colds are not caused by bacteria or mold - they are caused by viruses.

This quote is therefore from an unreliable or casually inaccurate source.

"Google" is not a source - you can find arguments that the Earth is flat or that the Queen of England is a lizard on google.

A source has to be attributed with a link so you can judge whether the site giving this information is even remotely trustworthy, or merely  [as so many are] some pseudo information to populate a site largely in existence to present ads.  

10 hours ago, partington said:

Colds are not caused by bacteria or mold - they are caused by viruses.

This quote is therefore from an unreliable or casually inaccurate source.

"Google" is not a source - you can find arguments that the Earth is flat or that the Queen of England is a lizard on google.

A source has to be attributed with a link so you can judge whether the site giving this information is even remotely trustworthy, or merely  [as so many are] some pseudo information to populate a site largely in existence to present ads.  

Difficult to give a specific link to my above reply, as it wasn't a link on google, it was what was displayed at the top of the page after entering my search.

However, below may counter your beliefs.  I am genuinely envious of you, if you don't get ill from Aircon sometimes.  Maybe you cope with the hot nights better than me, so don't need to run it so low?

https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopeners/is-your-air-conditioner-ac-making-you-sick.html