Survey suggests deaths of motorcylists in Thailand largely due to poor decision making

rooster59

17 hours ago, Artisi said:

No wouldn't want to get you started with that type of mindset, but think just a little further:

no parent deserves to lose a child even if there aren't all that bright. 

But by the same token if that parent had taught their son or daughter to respect the law and get taught how to ride properly we wouldn't be having this debate, and don't forget go and get a bloody licence

13 hours ago, lavender19 said:

What about pulling out of side roads without looking and using the phone

I hit a couple kids broadside on their Honda 90 who ran an intersection.  I flew over the bars of my bike and landed in a ditch.  No one was seriously hurt, fortunately.  This happened about 100 meters from a police check point.  If they saw it at all, they were probably amused.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, biggles45 said:

Having a lot of motorbikes on the roads is not really an acceptable excuse for the terrible death toll. 

Vietnam has one of the highest motorbike ownership rates worldwide With 45 million registered (Thailand has 21 million) motorbikes on a 92 million population (70 million in Thailand)  yet both have a similar death toll for bikes. 

In my visits there I rarely see a helmet less driver, very young kids driving, and I do see cops doing traffic stops. Just start with the basics.... but thats too hard. 

What do you think might account for the difference? Police effectiveness? Population psychology? Law framing? I've never been to Vietnam so I'm not well-placed to have an opinion, but there has to be a simple answer...

Just now, Damrongsak said:

I hit a couple kids broadside on their Honda 90 who ran an intersection.  I flew over the bars of my bike and landed in a ditch.  No one was seriously hurt, fortunately.  This happened about 100 meters from a police check point.  If they saw it at all, they were probably amused.

Probably, and that's a big part of the problem. Or so it seems to me.

How about they deliberately make poor decisions ?! Eg; jumping the red light, driving against the traffic and expecting the incoming traffic to avoid them ?!  Needless to say,  absolutely no awareness of who’s around them or simply can’t care less ????????‍♂️  

Just the other day whilst  I was waiting at the red light, one of these clueless and dangerous scooter rider went through the red light and in the process he ripped my left leg ( I screamed by the pain ) ???? He just took off as nothing had happened ! 
As far as I’m concerned, there’s  clearly no sign of discipline whether on the roads or at the workplace here since they’re hardly ever on time. This has to do with the fact that they always get away with everything, unpunished  ????????‍♂️
I could mention all sorts of episodes but I’d run out of space in here.

The thing that annoys me the most is the fact that they can’t be bothered to look around to see who’s on the roads, especially when they come out of a Soi, they just jump out blind !   No such a thing as right of way or even consider that there are tons of  people who behave in the same manner, whether it’s rain or shine it’s simply disastrous  ????????‍♂️
Needless to say, no plastic helmets, no proper use of mirrors, no insurance or even the number plate ! 

I don’t believe that speeds causes most accidents since they drive dead slow ( caught up with their affair on their phones or else ) In Thailand speed is not the main cause of accidents it’s more to do with the above mentioned and what others have stated in here.
Ultimately but not lastly it’s the police job to enforce their laws instead of allowing things happen before their eyes unpunished.

It’s hard to discipline people since it hasn’t been taught from young age by their parents who grew up the same way ????????‍♂️

And joining the dots, all three types of failures may be caused by driving under the influence of a substance that starts with the letter "a" that is often associated with road accidents in Thailand, especially around public holidays when casualty rates are very high.  What could that substance possibly be and how can driver behaviour be modified to avoid its use???

They are not making decisions at all, just doing what 'feels' good.  Because of their underdeveloped prefrontal cortex they are unable to consider whether their impulses should be second guessed, thus they just do whatever they want without checking in and deciding it is smart or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2021 at 10:05 AM, trainman34014 said:

They are taught at School that they are the most intelligent and Superior Race in Asia.........nuff said !

Which is why every new idea becomes a hub.......Thailand is the hub of the universe in their minds so must be the hub of everything in it too.

Hub of road deaths included.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Artisi said:

I didn't notice drunk riding, riding on the wrong side of the road (and expecting right of way), a complete lack of attention, incorrect amulet choice etc  --- just another one looking for 5 minutes of fame.

How about the one I've seen most prevalent lately . One hand on the phone one hand on the bike earphones in and texting etc whilst riding? Beggars belief. I see a lot of kids doing it . A motorbike requires utmost concentration at all times . 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ramdas said:

How about they deliberately make poor decisions ?! Eg; jumping the red light, driving against the traffic and expecting the incoming traffic to avoid them ?!  Needless to say,  absolutely no awareness of who’s around them or simply can’t care less ????????‍♂️  

Just the other day whilst  I was waiting at the red light, one of these clueless and dangerous scooter rider went through the red light and in the process he ripped my left leg ( I screamed by the pain ) ???? He just took off as nothing had happened ! 
As far as I’m concerned, there’s  clearly no sign of discipline whether on the roads or at the workplace here since they’re hardly ever on time. This has to do with the fact that they always get away with everything, unpunished  ????????‍♂️
I could mention all sorts of episodes but I’d run out of space in here.

The thing that annoys me the most is the fact that they can’t be bothered to look around to see who’s on the roads, especially when they come out of a Soi, they just jump out blind !   No such a thing as right of way or even consider that there are tons of  people who behave in the same manner, whether it’s rain or shine it’s simply disastrous  ????????‍♂️
Needless to say, no plastic helmets, no proper use of mirrors, no insurance or even the number plate ! 

I don’t believe that speeds causes most accidents since they drive dead slow ( caught up with their affair on their phones or else ) In Thailand speed is not the main cause of accidents it’s more to do with the above mentioned and what others have stated in here.
Ultimately but not lastly it’s the police job to enforce their laws instead of allowing things happen before their eyes unpunished.

It’s hard to discipline people since it hasn’t been taught from young age by their parents who grew up the same way ????????‍♂️

Now that's a long discussion when you could have just said, "no brain engagement" ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, a977 said:

But by the same token if that parent had taught their son or daughter to respect the law and get taught how to ride properly we wouldn't be having this debate, and don't forget go and get a bloody licence

No argument from me, but kids are kids and no parent should have to bury their kids

2 hours ago, tominbkk said:

They are not making decisions at all, just doing what 'feels' good.  Because of their underdeveloped prefrontal cortex they are unable to consider whether their impulses should be second guessed, thus they just do whatever they want without checking in and deciding it is smart or not.

Yep, If it's not "sanuk" then not doing it !   Applies to many other aspects of life here also !

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 10:00 AM, bloodyholly said:

Education ... education ... EDUCATION 

Sorry but no... you can lead a Thai to knowledge, but you can’t make him think.

Oh, and they must prosecute all those ninja cyclists without working running lights, helmets or insurance!

• Like 1