Survey suggests deaths of motorcylists in Thailand largely due to poor decision making

rooster59

1 minute ago, tingtong said:

If police do its job

If police do its job it will improve things slightly, but it will not magically fix it. 

We have to start calling things by their name, and stop looking for third parties to blame, the police, the grandma, Prayut…. 

Put it simple, there are over twenty million registered motorcycles in Thailand and over ten million registered cars in Thailand. You put them in the same roads, you are gonna have a lot of deaths on the motos sides, period. Regardless of whether the BiB does their job or not. 

Sure, if the BiB was as strict as in the west it most likely would be slightly down. But how much? 

In 2018 there were 4,985 deaths as a result of a motorcycle accident in the USA, there are only 8.3 million registered motos in the USA. 

In Thailand in 2018 there were around 18,000 deaths as a result of a motorcycle accident, with over 20 million registered motos. 

Many more motos, fewer kms of roads by far than the US, poor traffic laws enforcement, you get 18,000 deaths. 

But, enforcement alone can not solve the issue…

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

As a Moto rider in Thailand for the last 30 years, i can concur with all the above findings and also with the fact that some of the fatalities can be put to riding the moto while under the influence of substances such as alcohol and drugs, big part of the local economy is being facilitated and serviced by two wheels and similar vehicles and with so many moto riders around at the same time, fatalities will continue to happen...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, rabas said:

The guy in the truck was not required to make decisions because his vehicle was larger.

Thai Road Law no. 1

I saw one video where a Thai driver approached a car at a red light from the back on a 2-lane intersection at a good rate of speed.  Couldn't brake in time, so it swerved into the slow lane and took out the motorcyclist there.  Less crash damage, I suppose.  Brutal.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

In the clearest assesment yet of the carnage on the Thai roads from the death of motorcyclists the riders themselves have been mostly blamed.

Well it's not BAD spirits that cause accidents! I think most of us worked that out over 20 years ago!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I saw one video where a Thai driver approached a car at a red light from the back on a 2-lane intersection at a good rate of speed.  Couldn't brake in time, so it swerved into the slow lane and took out the motorcyclist there.  Less crash damage, I suppose.  Brutal.

you don't really think their thinking was that sophisticated, do you? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Campaigns to raise awareness about the need to have properly fuctioning headlights, rear lights and brakes

I would say, at a conservative estimate, over 50% of the motorbikes (plus sidecars) in and around our village have one or both lights out......and those that do have lights rarely put them on until it is pitch black.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Artisi said:
6 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

you don't really think their thinking was that sophisticated, do you? 

... simpleton way of achieving minimal damage to  'themselves'...   it is all about selfishness

There will always be motorcycle accidents even if proper training and restrictions are put in place like say the UK but not so many. 

Road police to enforce too but they will need retraining to. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

Another brilliant deduction from the Thai government, lol

Poor decision making? Ya think? To make a decision you need a brain and these moron children who ride at 150 kmh with no helmet get what they deserve.

The only good thing is that it gets some of the stupid out of the gene pool.

Don't get me started...

No wouldn't want to get you started with that type of mindset, but think just a little further:

no parent deserves to lose a child even if there aren't all that bright. 

Edited by Artisi
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Shuya said:

Isn't there a word that describes this quite well... I guess it starts with the letter 's'

These motorcycle guys ride like they have said last good bye to their families before leaving home they seem to be not bound by law can cut red lights like it's normal becuse they are not afraid of being penalized.

• Like 1